Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Miniature dachshund gnaws off diabetic owner's toe

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Miniature dachshund gnaws off diabetic owner's toe.

Fri Jul 4, 12:35 AM ET

ALTON, Ill. - An Illinois woman says her beloved miniature dachshund gnawed off her right big toe while she was asleep. Linda Floyd told the Alton Telegraph for a story Wednesday that her beloved Roscoe was euthanized because of safety concerns.

The 56-year-old says she has no feeling in her toes because of nerve damage from diabetes. She discovered the toe missing after waking from a nap Monday. She called her daughter, who phoned 911.

A veterinarian says the toe had been bandaged because of a healing hangnail. That might have somehow attracted the dog.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I feel sorry for the woman, but for crying out loud, did they have to euthanize the dog? All she had to do is put him in another room when she slept.

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I totally agree. :yell: Another room, or crate him while she slept! It's not like he could have done that when she was conscious!

:cry:

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah. But don't you just love this line: Linda Floyd told the Alton Telegraph for a story Wednesday that her beloved Roscoe was euthanized because of safety concerns.

:frustrated:If he was so beloved he would still be alive!

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I noticed that :sad:

Dingo
July 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hmm. I think I'm going to have to differ on this one. If my dog started eating me I think he would have to go.

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I kinda don't think it was a hunger-motivated kind of thing, though. :p

One thought that crossed my mind was that, being diabetic, the woman might have had infection or even early stage gangrene in the toe. Dogs can often smell that long before it becomes apparent. Poor little doxie may have thought it was doing its mom 'a favor' by taking off the dangerous toe. :shrug:

You or I would have noticed the gnawing, this poor woman did not. If she were awake, she would have noticed, but with that much neuropathy, asleep, she just couldn't feel it.

The question still stands, though...if the dog was so beloved, why not just confine it at night? I don't think I could euthanize my pet for such a thing. But to each their own... :shrug:

Chaser
July 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
One thought that crossed my mind was that, being diabetic, the woman might have had infection or even early stage gangrene in the toe. Dogs can often smell that long before it becomes apparent. Poor little doxie may have thought it was doing its mom 'a favor' by taking off the dangerous toe. :shrug:

I agree with this theory.....I highly doubt the dog was trying to be vicious or something. I have to admit I don't know if I would feel quite the same way about my dog knowing it had eaten my toe though - that's really bizarre....but I wouldn't put it down!

14+kitties
July 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I had the same thought hazel when I read the article. Dogs are very sensitive to injuries and illness'. Poor baby. Just trying to help his mom and look how he got paid back. :sad:

:rip: Roscoe :candle:

Tommysmom
July 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Poor baby:sad:. I think I could forgive almost anything my dog did to ME - it might be different if he was wandering around eating other people's toes, though. Really though, is this even true? I mean, look at all the stories over the last little while where people say the dog bit the baby, ate the baby, whatever... while they were 'sleeping'... and then it turns out that there is way more to the story, or that the dog didn't do it at all :shrug:.

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hazel, you make a very valid point. He could very well have sensed something. And Tommysmom, I hadn't thought of that. What if something else happened and the poor dog was blamed for it.

All in all, whatever the reason, I'd never put any of my pets down for something like that. Especially something so easily avoided in the future.

Dingo
July 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'd never put any of my pets down for something like that. Especially something so easily avoided in the future.

The dog has just eaten your toe. What would it have to do?!

I don't think I could ever be comfortable again around a dog that had bitten off and eaten part of my foot. (Or a human, for that matter). I mean, what's it going to do next? What if you fall asleep on the couch one night after eating chicken wings and have some barbecue sauce on your little finger.... Eee eee eee!!!

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Dingo, that's your call. I can't think my pets have the same reasoning a person would have. Maybe he didn't even know what he was actually eating. It was bandaged, probably didn't smell the same as the rest of her.

I'm not going to kill one of my "beloved" pets because of that. When I sleep I can simply put them in another room.

Obviously you see things a different way, and that's fine.