Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BC puppy wants to chase cars

Spatx
July 4th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Well, this is something I've never had to deal with yet.

Car chasing.

Nova is about 4 months old, and a Border Collie, and she's never cared about cars before. Than today on our way home from a walk she kept barking and trying to chase every single moving car in sight. Not something I ever want to encourage since it is dangerous.

What can I do to help stop this? The behaviour surprised me since she had never cared about cars before. I want to nip this in the bud before it develops anymore. The last thing I want is her chasing cars. It's a recipe for disaster in my books.

Any training tips or help will be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I keep Nova safe, and get her to understand that cars are NOT to be 'herded'.

JanM
July 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Amber used to do that too - I had a martingale collar on her (used it for training) and whenever she looked at a vehicle I gave her a sharp tug and said a firm "No". This was after she went after a couple of them. It didn't take long at all and now I don't have to even think about it any more.

The trick is to do the correction before the dog starts to bolt - that's why I did it when she looked at them.

GOod luck..

allymack
July 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Ah, i have the same problem with my BC, except he only goes after big trucks, like 18 wheelers, cement trucks, things like that. But i am doing the same as Jan is, i have a martingale collar on him and try o correct before a big truck comes, which does help alot, but another thing i found to work, but doesnt solve the problem as quickly, is have her do a sit stay or a sit focus ( the dog sits and gives you eye contact waiting for another cue)

Good luck !

Spatx
July 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks - I think I'll have to look into the Martingale collar, I keep hearing about them but actually don't really know what they are. :D I'm trying to work on her leash walking as well, and she pulls like a crazed maniac!

I'll have to try what you both mentioned and make sure my corrections are sooner. I was waiting too long this morning to correct, so as soon as she even starts eyeing the cars I'll have to correct her. If I'm too slow then she tries to run after them and won't listen.

JanM
July 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks - I think I'll have to look into the Martingale collar, I keep hearing about them but actually don't really know what they are. :D I'm trying to work on her leash walking as well, and she pulls like a crazed maniac!

I'll have to try what you both mentioned and make sure my corrections are sooner. I was waiting too long this morning to correct, so as soon as she even starts eyeing the cars I'll have to correct her. If I'm too slow then she tries to run after them and won't listen.

A martingale collar is sometimes called a "Half Choke" - it is leather/fabric or whatever with the other half being chain - when pulled, the chain makes a noise which often gets the dog's attention right away. There is considerably less danger of choking with one of these collars but they provide a good quick tension and release - good for corrections...

allymack
July 4th, 2008, 01:01 PM

A martingale is a really great collar IMO.its part fabric part chain and it allows to to give a sharp, quick, clean correction. They also always release, unlike a traditional choke collar. When you go to get one though, make sure it is properly sized ( i'm sure you would anywyas) but if they are too big then of course the dog can slip out and two it doesnt make a good correction and if it is too smal then it will be unintentionally choking your pup and you correction would feel much stornger to the pup. Make sure you learn how to use them, it really isnt hard. :thumbs up A martingale will also help you alot with her pulling issue. put the amrtingale on her and attach the leash to it and around your wasteand start running or jogging or even wakling, when she starts to get ahead of you turn and go in the other direction very quickly. Of course for the first few times, maybe even the whole walk she will get ' hung up ' but after that and a bit more practice she will learn to watch you since she wont know what you are planning on doing next.

Yah, try to make sure that you get her just as she is starting to stare or even looks at it, if you can get her when she looks at it the first time, that will help her to ignore them in the first place. I mean i know some dogs stare hard at thing, but you have a BC and thats how the get things to move " like that will work with a car :rolleyes:) so it is a heck of a lot harder to break their attention when they are locked on to something, no matter what it is.

Dingo
July 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
You could try giving a car a really good scolding while she watches. Apparently this works for dogs that try to kill vacuum cleaners or chew shoes.

Spatx
July 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Definitely :) I'll have to get to the store sometime soon to try on the collars and get one that fits. I get a discount at the store I work at, and they usually have them in stock. It's difficult to break my Aussie's attention when he is focused on something, Nova is even more so. I love the herding breeds though, and bicycle/car/jogger chasing was always a concern. I was just a bit shocked that she suddenly turned on to cars whereas she never cared about them previously.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to try it out and see how it goes. She's a silly little girl :D

Yah, try to make sure that you get her just as she is starting to stare or even looks at it, if you can get her when she looks at it the first time, that will help her to ignore them in the first place. I mean i know some dogs stare hard at thing, but you have a BC and thats how the get things to move " like that will work with a car :rolleyes:) so it is a heck of a lot harder to break their attention when they are locked on to something, no matter what it is.

SolaMio
July 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Spatx, if you don't have any luck with the martingale, you might want to try a chest harness.. I bought one for Sola (she's a malamute/lab cross) and our walks went from a 1/10 to a 8/10, if you can assign a grade to it :laughing:
Some folks discourage the use of any correction collar on a young dog, and for me I found it actually made the pulling worse, and I was following the directions as best I could. The harnesses I have now are one made by Holt, and the other is made by RC Pet Products. The RC one doubles as a car seatbelt, kind of neat. :D
Good luck with the pulling- it does get better. If you look through some of my old posts you will see how exasperated I was, but it's much better now :thumbs up

Maxine
July 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hi there!! Nova is such a beautiful pup!!! I read your question and people's advices, pretty good ones so I won't add anything else (never had that problem) but since you are interested in martingale collars, I just wanted to suggest you a place.... I'm waiting for mine to arrive and I know someone (other forum)who ordered some from there and they look and work great!! Hope you find it useful and good luck with the training!!!
http://www.2houndsdesign.com

Dog Dancer
July 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Your puppy is gorgeous for starters. I use a martingale on my lab x Halo, as well as a gentle leader (halti type). I hook both together and I find the halti really helps with her pulling. I have tried the harness (she has the seatbelt type as well) and I don't like it at all for her pulling issues. With the halti style lead I can control her head, where as with the harness I'm trying to haul her back from the middle and it just didn't work for me.

The key for lunging at cars is definitely to distract her attention as soon as she looks at the car - not after she's in full lunge. Maybe a clicker will help you with that.

Of course the best bet for helping you to deal with both issues is some really good solid obedience training. My older dog had it all and walks like a dream - Halo is much more of a handful. Good luck.

Spatx
July 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks, I use a head halti with my other dog, and it works great to help stop pulling. I took Nova out for her evening walk and did a lot of work on walking and trying to get her attention before she lunges at cars. I had some success, mostly with her walking. I tried tying her to my waist and doing quick turns when she pulled, and she started getting the idea.

I tried going out with treats (I bring them everytime anyway), and did some work on her focusing on me while I sat near a road. When I'm sitting I was able to get her to focus on me, she'd look at the cars but wouldn't lunge, and would come and sit pretty for the treat. I'll just have to build up to walking with her, since as soon as I stood the focus was completely gone and the lunging started again. I'll just have to build from me sitting, to kneeling, crouching, bending over, standing, then walking... Long road ahead, but I know it will pay off in the long run.

It's pretty frustrating and tiring, especially since there are a fair amount of cars around here. I'm going to see if that collar will help with corrections. This was only my first day starting to really work on her getting over cars, so I can't expect miracles yet.

allymack
July 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Sounds likes your making great prgress already, and its only the first day!! it can only get better from here if you keep it up!

It's good to hear that she is getting the idea with your sharp turns a anotehr day or two of that and she will have it for sure!

Focus is something that always comes in handy, no matter the situation because its gets you their attention when ever you need it, and yes, it does seem liek your going to have to build that up with her, but it will definately be worth it, you can use a treat lure to start the training and then an empty hand lure and then start putting a word to it "Focus" and then reward after she watches, that how i did it with Enzo.

I know how frustrating it can be, i mean Enzo has on leash aggression and it seems ike when i am having a bad day and really dont want to deal with it there are like 20 dog out for a walk at the same time as us:frustrated::rolleyes: but sounds liek your doign great!:thumbs up

angeldogs
July 4th, 2008, 11:15 PM
When she starts pulling give a leash correction and tell her steady.when the leash gets a loop in it continue walking.if she come back to you thats even better.