Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unsure if my Yorkie is peeing her way through her grief

sintia
July 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
I need some advice. I have a 10 year old Yorkie that has been potty trained for YEARS and just recently she started peeing on one particular spot on the carpet in our living room. She goes out very regularly and I don't really know why. I have a speculation but I'm not sure what to do about it. I just put one of the loves of my life, Peppy, down 4 months ago and I have a feeling that this has something to do with it. Initially I thought he did it before he passed, but now I KNOW she's doing it. Does anyone have a similar situation or some advice? Is she grieving? I'm not ready for another dog, the pain of losing Peppy was too much and I have had a hard time dealing with it. I don't know what to do. Help?!?!

:confused:

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Hi, sintia. Welcome to the board!

Given that she was having problems before Peppy passed (:grouphug:) it's probably more likely a physical problem than behavioral. Has she had a urinalysis recently. She might have a UTI. :shrug:

Another possibility is that if she's spayed, she may be exhibiting spay incontinence.

Regardless, getting a veterinary evaluation to rule out physical problems would be a good first step :thumbs up

Also, what are you using to clean up the spot she's using? An enzymatic cleaner that breaks down and deodorizes the urine is a must. If she can smell urine there, no matter how faint, she's more likely to go there again.

Good luck with your yorkie, Sintia.

rainbow
July 4th, 2008, 12:03 AM
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your loss of Peppy. :grouphug: :candle:

I agree with Hazel....you should take your girl to the vet to check for any medical issues. And the enzymatic cleaner is a must as well. :)

Good luck and please post with an update. :goodvibes:

Dingo
July 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
And also, she's 10. She may need to go out more often.

sintia
July 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words! She does have an issue with her urinary tract that she takes medication for daily (for the last year and a half, poor girl would pee on herself when she slept) but I know that I'm not using the right carpet cleaner because I can smell it. It's really thick carpeting and I know that the pad will have to go since it's soaked. I wasn't sure if she was depressed. We had a "sleepover" with a potential new mate last night and she HATED it. I'll try to clean the area better (it seems like the smell of pee will NEVER go away!) and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice!:fingerscr