Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3 month old son and rapid weight loss in cat

qatattack
July 3rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have a 15 year old cat who has always been overweight,,, My cat and I have always had an abnormally close relationship,,, I lavished all of my love and attention on her, we traveled cross country together and have lived in over 20 homes together,,, I recently had my first child, he is 3 months old this sat. In the last 3 months, my cat has lost so much weight, I can feel all her bones,,, including every notch on her spinal column,,, she still eats about a can and a half of food a day,,,

I am not sure if she is sick, or depressed, or what is going on,,,, any suggesstions? Thank you in advance!

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
My suggestion is a vet visit as soon as you can arrange to get her in. It is not normal for a cat to lose that much weight that fast unless you have her on a diet. Even then I would think that is too much weight to lose. Please take her for a full workup to see what is wrong.
Good luck and congrats on the new baby! Keep us informed please. :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
July 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Yup, anytime a senior kitty (or any kitty, but especially an elderly one) loses weight, a vet visit is in order. As soon as possible. Ask for a full senior wellness exam (urinalysis and complete blood panel). How is her drinking and urinating? Any poop problems?

rainbow
July 4th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I agree a trip to the vet is required as well. It is quite possible that she has hyperthyroidism. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
July 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Grats on the baby. :pray: that everything turns out alright. Any news yet?