Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Monkey is going for a cystocentesis tomorrow - so nervous for him

Masha
July 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I am so nervous for my little man. He is going tomorrow for a urine sample becuase they found some elevated kidney enzymes and one of the urine indicators was on the high end of normal when he had his wellness blood test last week. The vet assured me that even though it sounds painfully and horrible, majority of cats tolerate the procedure quite well. But i cant help think about how horrible the procedure sounds. They will take a urine sample using a needle through his abdomen (ouch!!)...

Vet said that its possible that he was a bit dehydrated and that can cause the elevated levels, but they want to check his urine to be sure... hope all lis well :fingerscr

Anyone gone through this procedure before?

Frenchy
July 3rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
ouch ! :sad: they can't just take a normal urine sample ?

Poor little kitty , good luck with everything tomorrow , the procedure AND the results. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

And for you :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
We've not had it done in a cat, but we have had it done with dogs. They don't seem to even feel it--the techs hold them for the vet, and that seems to be what they notice...the hugs. :D They never even notice the needle :shrug:

:goodvibes: for good test results!!!

Masha
July 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Frenchy, that was my first question "is there no other way?" but Vet said they prefer to do it this way, that it gives them clearer information and allows them to analyze the urine concentration...

I so so so hope he doesnt get too bothered... he hates going to the vet and doesnt like when they handle him...

Hazel, its good to hear that someone has gone through it without too much hassle... I will get him one of those catnip pillows to help him take his mind off it once he is back home...

And thanks for the good wishes, we should have some preliminary results tomorrow evening... oh i hope its nothing...

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Sending tons of :goodvibes: your way!!!

Frenchy
July 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I so so so hope he doesnt get too bothered... he hates going to the vet and doesnt like when they handle him...

I'm hoping they have something like rescue remedy to give him , just to make him relax.

I guess Hazel is right , they don't feel the needle , just like with their vaccines , freak us out more than it does them ! (I have to look away whenever my vet has to give vaccination or take blood sample)

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. :goodvibes:

rainbow
July 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
I've never had to have it done for any of mine by I have *heard* that the procedure is just like Hazel described so hopefully it will be painless for Monkey as well. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Sending lots of good wishes your way. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

TacoGrl
July 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
With all the recent work Mooki has had, she was surprisingly calm...her mom, not so much :wall:

Good luck and here's a hug for the two of you. :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
July 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Cystocentesis really is the best, most sterile method of urine extraction. In the case of cats, it tends to be the fact that they're restrained for the procedure that is more bothersome to them than the actual needle. Here's all you ever wanted to know about cystocentesis: http://www.labanimal.com/laban/journal/v35/n4/full/laban0406-21.html

growler~GateKeeper
July 4th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Almost of the times that Duffy has had a urine sample taken in her 17years it has been done via cysto. I've heard no complaints from her after, no tenderness. You won't see it, they'll taken Monkey into the back to do it & he'll be back in your arms very soon.

I always lock Duffy out of the bathroom (where the litterbox is) the night before & take her in as early as I can. They only need a small amount for a sample (they don't empty the bladder with the needle) so then I ask the vet or tech to make sure they give her access to a litterbox when they're done so she can pee the rest out.

As SCM says it is the best most sterile way to take a sample, that way it is accurately concentrated & if they are looking for crystals, protein or blood in the urine it will not get "contaminated" by whatever may be on the table or floor (depending on where the get it from)

:goodvibes: :fingerscr you get good results :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Guinness' mom
July 4th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha

LOL...I have yet to see a pet that wags his tail and says YEAH...I'm going to the vet!!!! :D....
I guess it's no different for us going to the doctors:eek:....I break out in a sweat when ever it's something more evasive

Poor baby...but I'm sure he'll be fine...good luck:fingerscr

Love4himies
July 4th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Snowball had urine taken using that procedure and he didn't flinch at all, I really don't think he felt anything.

Good luck!

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Good luck to Monkey and his test. :goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
July 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
:goodvibes: hope everything works out well. He'll be fine they always seem to bounce back better then we do.

bendyfoot
July 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm chiming in a bit late here, but when I worked at a vet clinic I saw and/or helped with many cytos...and not once did I ever see any animal so much as flinch....unlike some critters who needed blood drawn or vaccines, who screamed like bloody murder at the needle prick:rolleyes: Honestly, it seems bizzare, but I truly don't think it hurts them at all.

Masha
July 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Well, looks like you were all right :rolleyes: They took him downstairs and in 10 minutes he was back with me. He didnt seem too startled or anything and ate his treats and breakfast as usual when we got home. Nurse said he was a good boy (which i already know of course :lovestruck:) I think i was more stressed and nervous than him.

Now we wait for the results.... :fingerscr

Thanks for your support!!

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Glad to hear it all went so well!

:goodvibes: that the results are good, too! :thumbs up

Frenchy
July 4th, 2008, 09:58 PM
They took him downstairs and in 10 minutes he was back with me.

:thumbs up I'm glad it went well. How long for the results ?

growler~GateKeeper
July 5th, 2008, 02:22 AM
LOL...I have yet to see a pet that wags his tail and says YEAH...I'm going to the vet!!!! :D....

My :rip: :dog: Cally did - he loved it there, so many treats from everyone :dog: & a cat statue in the waiting room to growl at :rolleyes:

Glad to hear Monkey did so well.....How did you do in those ten mins? :grouphug:

:goodvibes: :fingerscr for good results

rainbow
July 5th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Happy to hear that Monkey did so well. :thumbs up And hope he gets good test results. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
July 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
:goodvibes: for good results! :grouphug:

Masha
July 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM
YEY - we got results today and they are good!!

Growler - these were really long 10 minutes. My stomach was twisting and turning, but now its all behind us and we got the results i wanted to hear so i am very happy.

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2008, 12:16 AM
:highfive: WooooHoooooo! Good for Monkey!!!

:grouphug: for you! :D

growler~GateKeeper
July 6th, 2008, 12:17 AM
YAY Monkey :clap: Glad to hear you got the results you were looking for :thumbs up :grouphug:

Yeah, sometimes it can seem much longer, did you remember to breathe :D So now you know if ever needed again, it's a simple procedure nothing to fret over & Monkey likely never felt a thing :cat:

ancientgirl
July 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Great going Monkey!:highfive: