Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chest bone/anatomy chart shih tzus

Russell36
July 8th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Hey guys, do any of you know where I could find a full size canine anatomy chart online .. preferably one that shows the skeletal structure from the front ? My shih tzu has a bump in the middle of his chest in between his shoulder blades. I think it's been there, and it feels like bone (and like it connects to the collar bone) but I want to make sure its nothing else. So, if anyone could direct me to a site with a chart or could let me know if dog's have this protruding bone in between the collar bone I would appreciate it. I'm not sure if this is related to the "forechest" I read about with tzus, but I'm interested to know if this is natural.

Russell

glasslass
July 8th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Through Google I searched under "canine anatomy" and quite a bit came up. Would that be the prostermum? Some of the sites looked pretty interesting. :)

trescanis
July 8th, 2004, 02:31 AM
I think what you are talking about is the Prosternum. Maybe it is more pronounced in Shih Tzu's? Here's a link to a canine anatomy explanation and some visuals. http://dogtraining.co.uk/anatomy.html

buriedinfur
July 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM
It would have to be the pront part of the sternum - dogs do not have clavicles (collarbones) like us.
Weird eh?