Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Owner is dying and all she can think of is her dogs....

Corrie
July 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Some of you may know from my posts that I am with Westie Rescue and am the Ontario Director.

I got a call from a lady a few days ago that is still making me cry when I think about it….she has 3 Westies…a 2 year old girl and a pair of 6 year old boys…and she is dying of Cancer! The doctors have now given her a VERY short time to live and her focus is on her dogs…. where will they go…how will she know they will be taken care of….she can’t die peacefully till they are OK…so she called us!

Needless to say we spent a very long time on the phone. She told me all about her babies, what they like, what they don’t like, how they like to play and what they hate eating. I was asking her how SHE was and she just wanted to talk about the Westies.

Now…let me tell you that I have gone into some VERY bad situations and taken Westies from folks who didn’t deserve to take another breath in my humble opinion…and it was so nice to talk to a good owner who loves her dogs and is surrendering them BEFORE she dies so she knows they will be OK!

I will be picking them up from her (along with all the beds, toys, carrying cases, strollers etc) shortly. It’s gonna be a hard visit for me but I just can’t imagine how hard it will be for her….

Just when I think I get a bit “hardened” from all the rescue I do, I find myself crying like a baby for her….:cry:

shirley1011
July 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Corrie..you have me in tears too.
Know that you are a special lady to do the work you do and we should
all be grateful there are folks like you who step up to the plate especially in situations like this one.
This woman sounds like such a wonderful person to put her dogs needs first especially in her time of real need.
I pray you find wonderful homes for these little guys and I hope maybe the new owners will find it in their hearts to visit this poor soul so she will indeed
know her furbabies are in good hands.

Love4himies
July 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Oh what a sad story :cry:. Will she be able to visit her beloved dogs before she passes away?

Thanks to people like you, there is a safe haven for pets who are in need :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
These situations are so heartbreaking... :sad: Such a loving act for this woman to provide for her fur-babies before she passes on. :cry:

:grouphug: to you Corrie! I hope you can find them homes and get them settled soon so she knows they'll be okay.

Please keep us posted on these three and their mom...

coppperbelle
July 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Last year I was contacted by a woman who was in the same situation. Her biggest concern was that her dog was placed in a loving home. I worried that she was going to be a mess when I took her baby away but she wasn't. It was a huge relief for her and she hugged me and thanked me numerous times. .
We can only hope that if something like this were to happen to us someone in our family would help out. I know I would
Such a sad story. :sad:

rainbow
July 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
What a sad story :sad: but what a wonderful person this woman is to want her babies looked after before her own fate. :angel: :grouphug:

And, I'm so glad there are wonderful people like you to be there for people like that. :angel: :thumbs up

I really hope that her beloved dogs can be placed in another caring home before it is her time and that she is able to visit them if she so chooses. :pray: :fingerscr

Please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

badger
July 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I'm sure this poor woman thinks you dropped directly from heaven to help her. Thank you, I would love to know the outcome for the dogs. Bet she sticks around until they're settled.

Chaser
July 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
This is a really touching story. It's so great to know that you can help her and give her some peace of mind that people care about finding great new homes for her dogs. Thank you for sharing this, and best of luck with the dogs. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

I think it's also a good reminder of the importance of making plans for our dogs in case something happens to us. I was reading a good article a little while ago about making legal provisions for pets and I think it's a really good idea. This woman clearly loves her dogs incredibly to be so concerned for them in her own difficult time. :pray: for her and her doggies.

Corrie
July 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks all for your very kind words! I will find wonderful homes for them I promise..we are VERY careful about our adoptive parents. The lady feels the little 2 year old girl can be separated from the boys as she is more a "person" dog...but she wants the boys to be together...so they will be adopted as a team!

ancientgirl
July 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
That poor woman. Thankfully there are organizations like yours who will find her babies a loving home. What she's going through can't be easy in no way, but you will be able to give her the peace she needs to end her days knowing her beloved babies will be safe.

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
We are so fortunate at times like this that there are organizations for people like that. When my sister was going through the same thing a few years ago my brother ended up assuring her he would look after her birds for her. They were what she loved in her final days. Their chirping kept her going and having to look after them gave her something to feel "useful" for.
:grouphug: to you for all you do to help people place their beloved pets!

wdawson
July 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
thats a sad story.....hope they find homes soon :fingerscr

Frenchy
July 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
omg that poor lady :sad: life is so unfair sometimes :sad:

thank dog you're right there to help :thumbs up it will make it so easier for her. Thank you for what you're doing :grouphug: and good luck for the adoptions of her dogs. Please keep us posted. :goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
July 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM
:sad: thats such a touching story now i want to cry. I always said that if i have no children i wouldn't make out a will but now even if i have no children i want to try to make sure my pets will be taken care of if something happens to me and i'm taken away to quickly. keep us updated hope they find homes soon. poor babies losing their mom.

Corrie
July 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Here are pictures of the 3 little Westies who are now surrendered by the owner...cute aren't they!!!!!

Frenchy
July 4th, 2008, 01:01 PM
They're adorable Corrie ! Do you think they could be adopted out together ? :goodvibes: they're so small , it would be like adopting one big dog :D

Love4himies
July 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM
What little cuties they are :cloud9:. I hope they get adopted together.

I can't imagin the sadness this woman must be feeling right now. I hope she has a good support system in place.:sad:

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM
They're beautiful! I love their little outfits. Oh I hope they get adopted together. It's bad enough they are losing their mommy, but to lose each other:sad:

Is the organization trying to find them the same home?

Chris21711
July 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM
They're adorable Corrie ! Do you think they could be adopted out together ? :goodvibes: they're so small , it would be like adopting one big dog :D

Love your way of reasoning Frenchy :thumbs up

What little cuties they are :cloud9:. I hope they get adopted together.

I can't imagin the sadness this woman must be feeling right now. I hope she has a good support system in place.:sad:

Too, too sad L4H.

I'm positive Corrie will find A1 homes for them, they look like cute stuffie toys all sitting together :lovestruck:

Hogansma
July 4th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Oh, what a sad story and how cute the westies are!!!!

I hope you know what a kind person you are for taking them in and I hope the owner has peace of mind.

I got my 12 year old girl, Bailey from a garage sale where the old man had passed away. My only wish was that I could go back in time and give him some peace of mind knowing that she is well loved and cared for.

I hope the owner is around long enough to see he babes adopted into a good home.

ScottieDog
July 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Prayers and peace for the dear lady who gave up these precious dogs. I hope you can find them a great home--together if possible. They are absolutely adorable. I have a soft spot in my heart for Westies.

My little Scottie girl is a rescue. She was a beloved pet who's owner passed away. I really hope that her owner "knows" her little girl is loved and has a good home. It is nice that the Westies' owner can pass at peace, knowing her babies are in good hands. Thank you for what you do.