Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Abused dog becomes champion

Dingo
July 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
A DOG who was beaten and abandoned, before finding a loving home in Pontypridd, has beaten the odds to win a national agility competition.

It was love at first sight when Judith Doble first set eyes on retriever/collie cross bitch Indie.

Judith, 44, who works in human resources at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Llantrisant, instantly decided to take the nervous and frightened dog home to Efail Isaf.

Less than two years later, Indie has been crowned top dog in the final of the Supadog Agility Rescue League after negotiating a course of jumps, hoops and tunnels in the fastest time.

“Indie did fantastically well and I’m so proud of her,” said Judith. “She had a rough start to life, but she’s now an incredibly happy dog who loves doing agility.

“This was a special win because it is such a fantastic event, celebrating the success of pets like Indie who have overcome hardship to grow into happy and healthy active dogs.”

Judith first saw Indie at Lizzie’s Animal Barn Sanctuary in Kidwelly, where she was taken after being badly beaten by her first owner.

“Indie was so nervous that she was physically shaking when I first saw her,” said Judith. “But we clicked immediately. She trusted me enough to let me pet her and I knew straight away that I wanted to take her home.”

Indie soon settled in with Judith, her husband, consultant surgeon Haray and their first dog Raja at their home at Parc Nant Celyn.

As soon as Indie was old enough, Judith took her to agility training with Raja and immediately realised that she was a natural.

“She is still only two and has been competing for less than a year, but she’s off to a flying start,” said Judith.

Every weekend in the summer, Judith and Haray travel with the dogs to events across the UK.

Christine Neasham, managing director of Burgess, makers of the Supadog range of dog foods that sponsors the national competition, said: “Indie is a true champion in every sense of the word.

“Her agility success is all the more remarkable considering her distressing first few months.

“The fact that she has grown into such a happy, healthy dog is testament to all the love and care that Judith and Haray have given her.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/pontypridd-llantrisant/2008/07/03/indie-named-top-dog-91466-21209986/