Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roy-the-Dawg fine...water everywhere!!

kashtin's kin
July 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM
So, I know it's the tail of a long w'end (Happy Canada Day), and a lot of people aren't on the BB right now, BUT...does anyone with big, :dog: sweet, slobbery dogs have tips on dealing with the um, LAKE, created when said BIG dogs slake their thirst!?

I grew up with a female lab who was app. 55 lbs., and our present 'big' :rolleyes: dog is about the same size; both these gals were/are pretty neat around the ol' watering hole/bowl! Okay, so the lab would leap into any disgusting body of water (we lived on a farm, so off-leash) at the drop of a hat, but NO excessive slobber with the water BOWL.

Roy-the-Dawg is, as we pretty much expected, a big goofy :laughing: lug of a boy-lab; no special training, but very amiable and quick to figure out what we'd like him to do. (I'll put up some pics, and more details on the Feral :cat: Cat Capture thread tomorrow.)

So far, the biggest challenge for us is dealing with his ability to flood the entire kitchen floor while he slurps his water...and subsequently drips a bunch as he walks away. It's not like he needs a drool bib; in between trips to the bowl, he's fine!

We've already replaced our usual kitchen water bowl (a fairly large and deep white pyrex affair) with a shallower bowl that he had been using in his former home; I also placed this bowl inside an even shallower 'outer' bowl hoping to catch some overflow...which it has, just not nearly enough :shrug:!

When I took Roy for a long walk today, I left a big water bowl outside, so he could water the lawn!, which he did, before coming inside to create another tidal wave! Aside from being app. 110 lbs. of happy young lab, Roy is not out of control or unaware of his surroundings.

It's just this deluge of water that has me a bit stymied for now...any suggestions, other than giving him a pony water trough??!! (But that wouldn't eliminate the dripping apres drinking issue!) If this is the worst of Roy's habits, it's obviously NOT a terrible thing, but if would be nice not to have to don a lifejacket in the kitchen :eek:!

Winston
July 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Kashtinskin! I have a big goofy 110lb lab too and he does the same thing from time to time...But what I did to help was I bought the raised food dishes..they are at least 15" off the ground and it is better when they eat but I also found that Winston kept his head up more over the dishes rather than hanging down dripping! except when he is reall really hot and drinks alot....we have drips all over the floor..I have one of those swifter type mops and it is handy to just wipe it up! linoleum floor helps too!

Glad to hear ol roy is doing good! looking forward to the kittie stories!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
Keep a mop handy. :o

We have the same problem, but with dogs half Roy's size. One thing that helps (but won't replace the mop) is to put the water bowl in the middle of an old bath towel or beach towel. That will at least catch the drips immediately around the bowl. But depending on how long the sweet boy drips after drinking, it will not necessarily catch everything. And you should pick up the towel every day and replace it with a dry one so the floor doesn't mildew.

We also have a problem with spittle on the ceiling from dogs shaking their heads immediately after drinking. The bowls are in the mudroom, though, and it's easy to NOT look up when I go in there, so I'm good... :thumbs up :laughing:

aslan
July 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
yup quincy is a pretty big goober monster too. we practice the same method as hazel, mops in the rooms with the waterbowls. If nothing else we have really clean floors.

Frenchy
July 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
...any suggestions, other than giving him a pony water trough??!!

Attach the mop to his tail and voila ! :crazy:

Water I don't mind , but the drool puddles are awfully slippery !

clm
July 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
Bentley still likes to swim in the water dish so we have their water dish sitting in a boot tray.

Cindy

kashtin's kin
July 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks sooo much for all the great tips for this neophyte BIG dog butler :thumbs up !! I will most definitely be trying suggestions out, and will let ya'll know when I can take off my wetsuit! For now, maybe I'll open a waterpark...featuring a horizontal waterslide :D!

P.S. Roy says "HI!" :dog: -such a loveable goofus, compared to our tortuously brilliant :rolleyes: Border Collie x, and our somewhat shrieky JRT (love 'em all!); Roy hasn't shown the slightest inclination to chase our myriad cats, or hassle the ponies...just wants to play 'soccer' with his small-child sized basketball!

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Had the same thing with Cally (Dal x Lab) including the dripping as he was leaving the water bowl :laughing:

I just put an old beach towel bunched up around the bowl & used it to wipe the floor too.

Tried to teach him to wait for a few seconds after he was finished drinking (so the towel caught the drips) but that only worked if I was in the room to give the wait command & he still wouldn't do it half the time, instead I'd get a foot full of water dribbles :laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
P.S. Roy says "HI!" :dog: -such a loveable goofus, compared to our tortuously brilliant :rolleyes: Border Collie x, and our somewhat shrieky JRT (love 'em all!); Roy hasn't shown the slightest inclination to chase our myriad cats, or hassle the ponies...just wants to play 'soccer' with his small-child sized basketball!

He sounds like a real sweetheart! :lovestruck:

14+kitties
July 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Roy sounds like he's a hoot!! Just what you need when you are trying to move, repair, paint, relocate animals, etc., etc.

I use a towel under my kitties' water bowls because I have a couple who think they are water cats. Always wanting to go swimming. The towel works the best for me!!

Chris21711
July 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I have a boot tray too, but those Basset ears have a way of going in the bowl and dripping for the next twenty yards all over the place. Maybe I could tie them back food for thought :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
July 2nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
I have a boot tray too, but those Basset ears have a way of going in the bowl and dripping for the next twenty yards all over the place. Maybe I could tie them back food for thought :rolleyes:

:laughing: Chris you need a racing hound type Dog Snood (http://www.thesnoodfactory.com/store.html)

aslan
July 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM

my mom used to use a hair scrunchy on her cockers ears when he ate or drank.

wdawson
July 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: sorry:laughing:

kashtin's kin
July 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, there's a whole world of folks mopping up after 'sloppy water' dogs (and the odd cat !); I had no idea of the scope of this affliction of sorts :rolleyes:! It sounds like another support group might be in order?

Roy is indeed a hoot...gonna post some pics and an anecdote or two on the Feral thread (although they've been making some veiled threats :evil: re: alienation of attention/adoration :eek:, so I'll have to watch myself!)

aslan
July 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
hmmm maybe we should create and patent something, we could be rich. runs off to the drawing board.....