Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fighting dogs

Cherlynn
July 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM
I hope someone can offer some help for us with our 2 dogs. We have 2 Brittanys ages 9 and 4. They have had at least 3 major fights in the last 3 years but this last one was the worst. It usually ends up with the older dog getting the worst of it. She has even been in the vet twice to have stitches. I know you are suppose to try and stop fights before it happens but this last one happened before there was even time to react. I ended up getting the worst of this one. I was the one who ended up with stitches in my hand for trying to stop the fight. I know you are not suppose to get involved but my instinct was to try and separate them before one was seriously hurt. It is so bad in our house that we can only have one dog in the house at a time. We can't let their paths cross. It has been a week since it happened but it is getting very difficult to try and keep them apart. They are looking at us like "what is wrong with you guys and why can' we be together" We just can't take the chance. My husband guides pheasant hunters and he needs the dogs for hunting. People have told us that we need to get rid of one of them. I am afraid they have become part of the family and it would break my heart to get rid of one of them. Is there any way we can have a peaceful household again and how can we prevent this from happening again??? I am open to any tips or suggesstions. Thank you for any assistance anyone can give us.

pitgrrl
July 1st, 2008, 05:32 PM
Well, people certainly learn to adapt to crating and rotating (http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html) because their dogs simply do not get along and they are unwilling to give up either dog. It's totally do-able.

That said, can you identify any triggers? Food, treats, toys, attention, excitement, behavior of one dog or the other or both?

How have you re-introduced the dogs post fight?

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
Are Maggie & Penny both spayed?

Have they had a full exam & blood/urine work up @ the vet recently to rule out medical problems?