Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preparing for fireworks!

BusterBoo
July 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Given Buster's fear/dislike of thunder, I am not too sure what to expect tonight when the fireworks start going off. From our front yard, we can actually see the light show from Parliament Hill (Ottawa) and can hear them loud and clear. We also have a couple of neighbours who will be setting off some boomers!

I plan on keeping Buster's collar (tags) on him all night....just in case! Hopefully he won't freak out too much! :shrug:

clm
July 1st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Our dogs aren't a problem with fireworks. Such a refreshing change. :D Our past dogs were terrified of fireworks, we used to keep them in the house until it was over.

Cindy

jealma
July 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Good luck tonight. I hope Buster doesn't get to distraught over all the noise.

Frenchy
July 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
we used to keep them in the house until it was over.

Cindy

omg mine too :laughing:

So if Buster gets scared , just get him back inside , good luck !

Being in Quebec , I don't think we will have any fireworks tonight :sad: Just in Montreal , but not the boonies.

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
We do ours this Friday. It's my first July 4th in the apartment I'm at now, and the first with Maks and Kiska and Czarina. I'm hoping since they don't seem too terribly freaked out by thunder, this might not be too bad.

Good luck with Buster!

angeldogs
July 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
To bad everything is closed tonight.pet value her carries a pheramone spray.the is for storms thunder/lighting and fireworks and other things.$14.99 for about 75 sprays.you can spray it in the nose area.ot in the area the dog will be in.and spray every 3-4 hours.

kathryn
July 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Haha good luck. My last dog (a rottweiler...) was terrified of many many things, and fireworks made him go bonkers! Miss that dog:rip:

I'm sure my cats will all run and hide. I will have to keep a close eye on my outside cats... because frankly I don't trust the people over in the apartments. Their the kind of people that would throw fireworks over the fence into my private little townhouse neighborhood (not a snobby over priced one) to scare the %^#$ outta the cats and dogs over here.

Hope there's no fires :eek: because I went walking and a couple houses down from myself on the corner, the there had apparently been a fire that melted the fence and cleared out a couple trees in the woods... probably from people starting to mess around with fireworks.

BusterBoo
July 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM
To bad everything is closed tonight.pet value her carries a pheramone spray.the is for storms thunder/lighting and fireworks and other things.$14.99 for about 75 sprays.you can spray it in the nose area.ot in the area the dog will be in.and spray every 3-4 hours.

I think I might go and get some this week for future problems! I am moving in 6 weeks and I just know that it will stress out Buster!

Schwinn
July 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Around here, the tools tend to set off fireworks for the week before AND after the actual day you're allowed to. Daisy tends to pace back and forth from the front of the house to the back, panting. And those are just for the roman candles...I can only imagine the real boomers!

She usually just sits beside us until it's all over. Just make sure you're giving him a scratch between the ears while it's going on, and he'll be happy!

wdawson
July 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
what works here is take them for a very long walk.....put on a movie and crank the volume:D

angeldogs
July 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
I think I might go and get some this week for future problems! I am moving in 6 weeks and I just know that it will stress out Buster!

There is also a plugin.it's $24.99.and the refill is $16.99.
We found out it's also good for barking and a very hyperactive dog calmed down with it's use.

clm
July 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I just came in and the fireworks around here are near and loud. The dogs didn't even lift their heads. :D I gotta tell you, after both my previoius dogs being so scared that they'd freak out even in the house with the tv up loud and all the blinds closed and now these 2 who could care a less, it's just amazing the difference. We never ever would have sat outside with all that going on around us and hubby is still out there with them and they're happy as can be. :cloud9:

Cindy

BusterBoo
July 2nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
Well, we survived the fireworks!!! They started at 10 and that's when I went to bed and took Buster with me. I closed the window, turned on the TV and he snuggled up. Heart rate was a little faster but no pacing or panic! We are expecting thunderstorm tonght, so we will see how that goes!

chico2
July 2nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Glad all the puppers survived,we've had fire-works here every night starting from Sunday on,the cats just get a little nervy,but I bet outdoor kitties were terrified:sad: