Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found Dog- what do I do?

onster
July 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
I found a dog with a collar and tags but all the numbers belong to offices that are closed for canada day. We got some dog food from neighbours which he wolfed down and he had quite a bit of water. He also had 2 milkbones and a whole bag of whiskas cat treats ( i know very bad but I had to get him in the car somehow and keep him calm on the drive back home - very nervous).

His paws are very dry and cracked but otherwise he looks good. Is there anything else I can do for now? I have a leash from the egyptian doggies fund that I put on him and he's currently in the backyard with the little brother. I gave him one of bunduks toys (it was a dog toy) and now he's going crazy fetching it and asking to play :lovestruck: such a sweetie. He's panting so hard though were scared to over do it.

Do u think thats enough food for today? I dont want to make his tummy upset :sad:. and ummm is there any specific word he can be told to make him do his business? Hes very obedient I figured out he knows stay, sit, shake paws, lay down.

Will he make it obvious when he has to go?

onster
July 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Oh and he might be a she..not sure didnt really get a good look.

onster
July 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
I dont know dog breeds so I have no idea what he/she is but a few pics...

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
You'll be wanted to look for pacing, sniffing, whining or scratching at the door... That sort of thing. :D Probably s/he has a command for going potty or pooping, but unless 'potty' and 'poop' work, you might have a hard time trying to figure out what the command is.

How much food did you give him...er...her? I suspect that along with the Whiskas are plenty for her today. :fingerscr that the whiskas agree with him! If s/he's just been fed, you should wait an hour or two before exercise...

Do you think the dog has been running loose for a while?

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
Just saw the pics! What a cutie! :flirt: Love the white sock!

onster
July 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM

Onnie wants to check the dog out

fetch :D

onster
July 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
You'll be wanted to look for pacing, sniffing, whining or scratching at the door... That sort of thing. :D Probably s/he has a command for going potty or pooping, but unless 'potty' and 'poop' work, you might have a hard time trying to figure out what the command is.

How much food did you give him...er...her? I suspect that along with the Whiskas are plenty for her today. :fingerscr that the whiskas agree with him! If s/he's just been fed, you should wait an hour or two before exercise...

Do you think the dog has been running loose for a while?

so theres no common poop/pee command (like there is for sit, stay etc)..guess ill have to wait till nature calls. Its not gonna be pretty :yuck:

I didnt see the food he wolfed it down before I came back ( I had gone in to get the camera) but bro said it was two bowls of it :eek:. He reaaaly wants the rest of the milkbones tho :rolleyes:.

I just told my brother to stop playing fetch with him. We didnt realize. oops. he just got so excited when he saw the toy and went into full play mode.

Except for his paws he looks fine so I think maybe he got out last night? Based on his tags he's from the area, i know the animal hospital he goes to not toooo close but in the area.

People are such :wall: tho cuz i walked into my mom's room and she had the window open I happened to look up and see this dog running across the street. At this point I was in shorts and a tshirt and I wasnt even sure the dog was alone but I ran to my room threw a sweater on and some pants and took the car out. Circled around and around didnt find him finally I was going to go home and he dashed in front of me. Put the blinkers on and went out with the whiskas but he was so scared tried to run from me. I stopped and tried calling him , saying random words "treat??" "walk?"" "come"" "good doggy..come here" :crazy: didnt work and he stopped but then walked away too. Finally I decided since I didnt bring my cellie Id just follow him in the car till I found someone to help. By the way a whole bunch of people passed by and in their cars and NOBODY got out to help me :wall:. When i got in the car he walked towards the car so I opened the passenger and he hopped in. Got out and left him with the treats as he wolfed them and closed the passenger car, hopped back in and drove home. :crazy: :dog:

Gotta go stay with him/her now. Me and lil bro are on shifts. Cats very curious but I dont want them to interract, i dont know how he will be.

onster
July 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
oh and :thankyou: hazel

BusterBoo
July 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
:lovestruck: What a cutie he/she is!!! Looks very comfy laying on the big cushion. I just hope his/her owners are out looking for their pup. Buster's command for poop is "go do good boy" :laughing: Hey, it works :D

Good luck in finding the owners tomorrow through the tags and a big thank you for taking this little lost one in! :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Two bowls of food should be plenty. :D Just keep water available :thumbs up

Onnie looks like he's plotting an attack...

Onnie: "Dog, you should be very, very afraid..."

:D

onster
July 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Just looked again at his tags, they are current (rabbies 2008) so im pretttty sure there will be a happy reunion tomorrow :D:highfive:

Question: do u think he could hop the fence? (regular wooden fence). I dont know if I should tie him down or something. Were staying outside for a while so maybe we can hopefully hear anybody calling for him or something :fingerscr

onster
July 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
he reaaaly stinks :yuck:

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
A dog that size could probably scale a 5-foot fence...that would be what? About 1.5 m? If he's a real escape artist, add another half meter to a meter... So if you're talking about something shorter than that, yes, he can probably get over it if he wants to.

Stinky, eh? :D Think he's been rolling in something?

Bath time? Did someone say bath time? :laughing: There's an adventure for you, onster! :o

Frenchy
July 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Question: do u think he could hop the fence?

Looks to me like he's a Border collie so yes , he could jump the fence IMO :laughing: (but that doesn't mean he will)

Thank you onster for taking him in. :angel: Do you have a garage ? Maybe you could live him there for the night ?

badger
July 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
That picture of Onnie scoping him out (keep head down, damn ears) is very funny. Glad you found him on such a hot day.

onster
July 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Turns out she's a girl ( I thought so) and her name is Sacha. After she peed in the yard and got all excited when I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk, I decided to try and see if maybe she could take me to her home.

She turned out to be an absolute angel on leash, such a cutie. I got a little worried when some kids on bikes passed by but when I stopped at the corner, she stopped :highfive:

She kept going straight down the road until the last street (at this point I thought shes going in staight line :sad: I should just go home) but then she turned left onto the side street walked down and walked up to this driveway 3 houses down. There were 2 cars on the driveway lotsa empty beer bottles on the front steps and I was unsure...I mean wouldnt they be looking for her?? It was quite some time since I found her. I found her about 2 hours before I posted. I figured Id come back with my brother (im a chicken :o), so i said "come" and she just happily walked back on the road with me we walked for a bit then I decided to go home, again we passed the house but this time she didnt even go up the driveway she went across the street - I fighured it definately wasnt her house then. But then at the first house I saw these 2 guys out for a smoke so I asked them if they knew the dog. One of them recognized her as "Sacha" from two houses down (which would make it the house she stopped at and walked up the driveway). He told me he'd take her and that shes gotten out a few times lately :frustrated:...I asked if he was sure "yes yes its sacha". He told me I could leave and gave me the leash but I stood there until he knocked on the house..someone opened the door and "sacha" went it.

Ummm...is that not weird??

Why werent they looking for the dog??? a few times this happened??? .....but they must be good owners, rabbies and vaccines up to date, she knows all the commands and everything, very well behaved. Im just surprised they didnt know she was gone or try to look for her :shrug:

onster
July 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have the numbers on her tag still, ill call the animal hospital tomorrow just to make sure she got home. I mean it must be her home why else would she have gone up the driveway and led me there...but just to make sure...im just too surprised no one was looking for her at all :o

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
LOL, first thing I noticed was Onnie's ears. Down Onnie. :laughing:

What a great looking pooch! He looks in good condition, though so hopefully he's not been abandoned and like you said, a happy reunion is close at hand.:fingerscr

I've got no advice, but I'm thinking no more food might be a good idea for today.

Frenchy
July 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Why werent they looking for the dog???

onster , not all pet owners are "like us" :sad: maybe they just don't get worried because they know she will come back, I just hope she's spayed. :sad:

When I'm outside with them , even if I have a fence yard , if I don't see Nelly or Chloe , I call them just to make sure , even if they never ever showed they wanted to run away. :shrug: the goldens :angel: are always near me.

onster
July 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Onnie poofed up like crazy and was not pleased. Doggie was on his bed too :rolleyes:

frenchy that is really sad :sad: When i spotted her from the window she was running the opposite way. When I found her she was even further down .....i mean maybe she wouldve eventually gone home but maybe she wouldnt gotten lost too or run over :sad: Nobody seemed to care either, the bikers that went by, or the people in their gardens, the drivers (one guy almost ran her over as I was tyring to get her in the car and then honked at her!!!)...

I'm so glad I found her. I do hope her owners are more carful though she's such a beautiful dog and there are two major intersections on either end of the road.

Frenchy
July 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm so glad I found her.

I'm glad too , you just may have saved her life you know :2huggers:

onster
July 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thank frenchy..im gonna need a hug too, i miss her now lol. All that adrenalin and excitement gone now

I officially need a dog :D

Last pics I took of her...

Waiting for us to throw already :pawprint:

At the end of A's 'shift'. He looks weird in the pic but that's arlight, shes cute enough for hte both of them :D:cloud9::lovestruck:

onster
July 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM
btw if anyone has those green tags from the animal hospital (by merial i think it was) where on the one side theres a 1888 number u call. Its useless :shrug:

I called and put in the tag number and vet number as asked "no match found" ummm..ok...

allymack
July 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
you did a great thing for her! and yupp i would definately say she is a Border Collie :D:lovestruck: It does semm like it is her homee though since she went to the driveway and the people knew her/ where she lived, i hope it does turn out thats the right hosue when you call the vet tomorrow!

onster
July 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
im almost 100% sure its the right house but I wouldve liked to talk to the owners...tell them what I fed her :o (how horrid of a poop to expect:yuck:) where I found her, when I found her ....suggest maybe a higher fence :o

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
:thumbs up Good job Onster :dog: :angel2:

yup sounds like you need a dog now :p

BusterBoo
July 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Glad you found her home....sort of.....:shrug:

Her owners definitely weren't too concerned... :frustrated:

rainbow
July 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Onster, that was so good of you to look after the BC and then locate her owners. :angel: You obviously were more concerned with her well being :grouphug: than her owners were. :rolleyes: :sad:

I also hope you are able to get your own dog some day :fingerscr :goodvibes: .......you will be the bestest mom. :angel:

angeldogs
July 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Good job and a good looking girl.
was the 1888# for pet watch?.

onster
July 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
awwww thanks guys :goodvibes: :grouphug:

I do hope I can get a dog someday rainbow, I'd have to wait until I was more settled though (maybe not stuck between two continents, lol).

Is it likely she needed a bath or do BCs have a strong doggy odour? Just got into my car and had to febreeze it :yuck:. She was such a cool dog otherwise I would consider a BC someday :D

angeldogs it was a green tag from beechwood animal hospital, the shape of a bell. On one side was the typical "So and so hospital cares for me" with the number of the clinic. On the other side of the tag it said "if found please call" 1888...something something, the automated msgs ask if its a green bell or a red square (sacha had a green bell). The paper I wrote it on is in my car and bro just took it out but Ill check later and let u know :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
You did a good job, onster! :thumbs up Too bad the owners weren't as appreciative of her as you were.

I don't believe that BC's are noted for unusual body odor :o, so I suspect she just spends a lot of time outdoors. She probably took the opportunity of her freedom to find something especially choice to roll in. :D Maybe the smell will convince her owners to keep closer watch on her next time. :rolleyes:

Frenchy
July 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
so I suspect she just spends a lot of time outdoors.

And that is probably why she gets bored and runs away. :shrug:

otter
July 1st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Onster, you did a great thing for that dog... who knows what might have happened out on the street :sad:

Just FYI the 1-888 number came up with nothing cause the owner probably didn't register the tags - you have to go online and enter your pets info on a web site and then the information is accessible to anyone who goes to the web site or calls the 1-88 number. Lots of people make the mistake of not registering their tags - it's a good thing to do cause the vets office can't always help out (some won't give out owners info :sad:, otherwise, as you found, they can be closed)

I hope that beautiful doggy has a beautiful life (despite the outward appearances) :fingerscr:goodvibes:

Chris21711
July 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Onster- the rabies tag with the 1-88 # you have to register your pet on-line to activate it, I guess her owners didn't bother :sad: Definately need one of your own Onster, maybe one from SPARE :D

angeldogs
July 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
My tag doesn't have the 1888# on it at all.with the mr being chipped i have the petwatch tag for him.my green city tag as a local#to call.