Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello

MaxSyd
July 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
I just joined the forum and wanted to say hi to all and a bit about myself.
I have two cats,one is a Maine Coon mix and the other Burmese,I think.The latter was recently diagnosed with diabetes,which lead me to do a lot of research on this subject in the last month and fortunately gained much need information on what cats should and should not eat(whether diabetic or not).
I'll be more than happy to share what I've learned :)
Cheers

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM
Welcome, MaxSyd.

There is a forum on the board totally devoted to food which you may find interesting. There are also a few members who also have experience with diabetic cats, so I suspect there will be lots of info to share back and forth. :thumbs up

When you are able, I hope you'll post some pictures of your cats! :fingerscr We tend to be rather demanding when it comes to pics of furbabies. :o We can't help ourselves! :D

Enjoy your stay!

angeldogs
July 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hi MaxSyd and welcome to the forum.

MaxSyd
July 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks Hazel and Angel

sugarcatmom
July 1st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Howdy, from one diabetic cat caretaker to another. Welcome to pets.ca!

Just cause I'm the curious type, how's your cat doing? Is he on insulin? What food are your boys eating now?

MaxSyd
July 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hi,Sugarmom
Sydney is still on insulin and his sugar levels are all over the place,from 16 to 32 within 3 days.Still trying to find the best diet for him(wellness,Merrick,Evo) and I don't trust the ones from the vet at all....Max is fine but he's so finicki,he'll only eat one type(Solid Gold)but now with their new formula,Max refuses to eat it,he'd rather starve.
I'd like to upload some pics but don't know how to do it here :confused:
Cheers

sugarcatmom
July 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
What type and how much insulin is he on? Do you test his blood glucose levels yourself? I assume you've found the Feline Diabetes (http://felinediabetes.com/) website by now.

As for the picture thing, it could be that you need a certain number of posts (5?) first before you're allowed. So keep posting!

MaxSyd
July 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM
It says CANINSULIN and underneath it says porcine insulin
I monitor the glucose myself twice a day and he gets three units each time,right after the reading.The levels have always been between 16 and 33,except for an hour ago,I just happen to check the level a bit early, and it was 6...
I called an emergency vet and he said unless he's acting strange,not to bring him in just yet but to watch him closely.So I don't know what's going on...
I have checked out the Feline Diabetes site...thanks:)

sugarcatmom
July 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Sorry for all the questions (let me know if you start to feel harassed:D), but what was Sydney's starting dose on Caninsulin? If less than 3u, how fast was the dose raised and what was that based on (home tests, vet curves, spot checks at the vet?) Do you use U40 or U100 syringes?

I used Caninsulin for 3 years on my cat, and while it can certainly work well with some cats, I gotta say it wouldn't be my first choice again. It tends to be a bit harsh, with a rapid onset, steep drops, and not enough duration. Very prone to causing rebound in cats, which may be what's going on with Sydney. Some longer lasting and generally smoother insulins to consider are Lantus, PZI, and Levemir (which is what I've been using for over 2 years on my guy with great results, although most vets haven't even heard of it).

Back to the food issue, is that canned or dry that you're feeding, and do you meal-feed or free-feed?

MaxSyd
July 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
No problem at all,thanks for your interest...
He started off with one unit May 31st and I just picked up my third bottle June 29th.I increased one unit about every 8 days based on home monitoring and I would just call in the readings by phone.I use U40..also I didn't know I had a choice in the insulin,but I will certainly ask about the others.
Max started off with dry food but the last four years the kibble is only there as a snack,sort of...but now mainly eats Solid Gold canned..(now he doesn't even want that one,as I said,the formula is different).Sydney also eats canned,Wellness(no grain),Merrick,Evo,but also snacks on dry.One of them is giving him diarrhea,but I'm not sure which one.I want to stop the dry food all together though.
I put food for them in the morning and then again when I get home at 5pm.Weekends I feed them all day :o

sugarcatmom
July 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
It could be that snacking on dry during the day is having an effect on Sydney's bg (causing more extreme highs and lows), so if you could eliminate the kibble, that would be ideal. However, as I'm sure you know, that may also decrease his insulin requirements so you would want to be extra vigilant with home testing.

One of the reasons I had trouble with Caninsulin is that I think it's better suited to meal-feeding rather than free-feeding, and my dude just didn't want to convert (can't blame him, after being a life-long nibbler). I leave canned out for him all day and that fits better with the more mellow action of Levemir. Because Caninsulin has such a strong impact in the first 2-3 hours, it's important to have a good meal on board when it "hits". But if my guy had been snacking, he wasn't as likely to eat a large amount all at once when he got his shot, and the potential for his bg to drop too low during those first few hours was greater. Likewise, any eating he did after the Caninsulin peaked (which tended to be between 4-6 hrs post shot) just sent his bg up ever higher. It was quite a roller coaster. The difference between his curves on Caninsulin and Levemir are very dramatic.

Sorry to hear about Syd's diarrhea. Hard to say what could be causing that, but I've had great success in the past using slippery elm bark powder. There's some info here if you're interested: http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

MaxSyd
July 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Yes,I'll try taking away the kibble and see....I never heard of that powder but I'm sure once I keep Syd on something steady,he'll be ok
Thanks for all your help