Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 week old puppy.. and i need some advice!!

Axl&Bailey
June 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
hey guys!! hope everyone is doing good... So saturday I got a Jack Russell, hes now about 8 weeks, and my question to you guys is how would i go about training him to do his business on those blue pads? So far hes been really good! Except that #2s are rarely on the pads. Now i know hes still young and i JUST got him so im in no way expecting him to walk into my door and automatically pee and poo in the right place, i was just wondering if any of you had some pointers that i could use as we go along. Im assuming it's going to take time and im totally patient with the lil dude, i just wanna gather the most info to better my knowledge at doing this as i possibly can! I live in a duplex upstairs, so i cant always run downstairs with him to the yard wich is why i want to go ahead with the blue pads, i bring him outside all the time but not always at the times he has to go. Also i have a 9 months old daughter, so i can't just leave her up here while i go downstairs. For now i have a mat in each room so that he doesn't find himself having to go asap with no pad in sight. Anyways, if anyone has some advice for me, im all for it!! thanks!! :crazy:

t.pettet
June 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
This pup should be confined in a small area with the pad, not given free access to the entire house so he has no choice but to use it. You might want to cover 1/2 of this small area with the pads so theres less chance of him going on the floor.

Axl&Bailey
July 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
thanks alot :)

Droverdog
July 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM
You may also consider litter box training him. JRTs are not that big and there ARE special litter boxes with fire hydrants etc. made just for indoor dogs.
One word of caution. JRTs are a little harder to house train.:pawprint:

wdawson
July 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
my jack....maggie took alot of work to house train.....we spent more time outside than in.....i never tried the pads. but we still go out every 30min-1hr till we go to bed.

Axl&Bailey
July 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
thanks i will try to look for that litter box thing, only because i have a mainecoon as well, and the puppy is REALLY interested in his litter box ( its hidden and with a closed top, but he still goes in the lil door. ) i wouldnt mind going outside at all with him, the only problem is that i live upstairs, and i have a 9 month old daughter that i cant haul with me everytime, and i dont want to leave her alont upstairs at all either. So that's all it is. This past week end we went to my parents, where i am every weekend and they have a huge dog, with 2 dogs as well ( A german sheppard and a Beagle ) and all 3 of them get along great and all his deeds were done outside as well :cloud9:

Axl&Bailey
July 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
and i meant huge YARD.. not huge dog hahah :loser:

Axl&Bailey
July 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
ps- Drover, thanks alot for the idea, i did a bit of research after i saw your post and i find some pretty interesting things with the litter box that i think i might try.