Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ugg! i don't know what to do

Magicwildwolf69
June 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM
My male cat Eclipse (neutered) is attacking and stalking his litter mate Serena. I am not sure over what. Yesterday about 830am i was woken up by the hisses and crys came out to find her cornered in the bathroom and him just staring at her as she growled at him. I separated them locked him out of the bedroom calmed her down and then about two hours later let her out feed them and they were fine the rest of the day. They were relaxed and calm when i came home. Then this morning about 530am i was again woken up by the hisses and growls. This time he cornered her in our bedroom and then hissed at me as i tried to get him out which got him squirted with a water bottle. His aggression seems to be getting worse. Today as I'm writing this he is following her around seems she can't use the little box without him trying to get her. I seem to be the only buffer between the two now. The more nerviest she acts the more he gets aggressive. I'm about to talk to the vet about getting him some kind of pills to calm him down (she mentioned that when i brought him in for a check up in February when he attacked me rather badly) I don't know what to do anymore. He's never been agressive before in the last few years. I worry if i should have any kids and he'll attack them. I just don't know what to do :sad:

mollywog
June 30th, 2008, 02:16 PM
the same thing happened to my parents 2 Siamese a year ago. They had lived happily together (male and female) for over 7 years (they were snuggle buddies even!) and then one day the female just turned on the male. :evil: The vet gave them some kind of sedative to give to her, but they could never get it down her throat! They had to keep the cats separated while they were at work and then eventually (maybe a month later) the cats suddenly became friends again.
The vet seemed to think that it involved a fight over food or a toy. Funny to think that something that small would cause such a crisis!
Hang in there, wait and see what happens. good luck!

sugarcatmom
June 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Have there been any changes in or around your home lately, like maybe nearby construction or a new cat in the neighborhood? It could be redirected stress aggression. Is it possible to separate the cats for a while and then slowly reintroduce them like they were new cats? Also maybe adding a Feliway diffuser or 2 and some Rescue Remedy could help calm things down. I wouldn't use the squirt bottle to break things up only because it might actually end up adding to the stress level. Try putting a pillow between them or between you and Eclipse if he goes after you. But I would seriously keep the cats appart for now, with their own food, litter boxes and beds. Here is some more reading for you:
http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/overcoming_stress/the_stress_factor.html
http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/aggression_to_cats/index.html

Good luck!

rainbow
June 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I have nothing to add but just wanted to wish you good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

My 5 yr. old neutered male siamese x quite often will go after my 6 yr. old spayed female but I just need to clap my hands and raise my voice at him. The female seems to make alot more noise than necessary though as he hardly touches her. :rolleyes:

Magicwildwolf69
June 30th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the links they gave me some more insight to maybe things that are triggering his attacks. They seem to be stress related but i don't really now how to fix them. There isn't nothing new going on. I haven't seen any strays around my yard. (i live on a very busy street most cats are smart enough to stay away from this area.) My apartment is crowded. Going through stuff trying to get all the crap out of my bedroom because its just packed with things i don't need anymore. Its hard to do this all in one day because since i work in retail i don't usually get two straight days off. So he might be feeling crowded as one of the links said. I also read that a dirty litter box can set it off. Well...my bf wasn't cleaning it and i just saw that today.....(i wasn't cleaning them because we thought i might have been pregnant so i was staying away from the litter and well he forgot cause I'm the one that usually does it gah!) And a few of her normal laying spots got taken so i think she is using some of his and its upsetting him. Tomorrow I'm home yay! so i can make sure nothing happens while i'm here. We've been keeping them separated. I will defentely try to reintroduce them if this problem contuines. I know i've made other post about this same problem but i can never really find them so i usually make a new one. Everything just seems so hard i don't want to get rid of him i do love him. :pray: that he relexs some. also can cats respond if their humans are stressed cause i haven't been yelling around the house but i've been really stressed and snappy so maybe he's picking up on my vibes?

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2008, 05:46 AM
Has Eclipse been to a vet lately for a wellness check?

also can cats respond if their humans are stressed cause i haven't been yelling around the house but i've been really stressed and snappy so maybe he's picking up on my vibes?

Yes cats (& dogs) are sensitive to your moods/emotions & will pickup on any energy in the house.

You mention you are going through boxes, is this in preparation for a move or just summer cleaning? The moving of items around the house can also stress any animal out, they are unsure of what is happening in their formerly calm & orderly environment.

Magicwildwolf69
July 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
thanks growler it is just summer cleaning that i I've put off for about two years :D

Well I'm going to do it as quickly as possible now so i can get his world back in order in his mind. And since i should be calming down myself hopefully he'll pick up on those vibes. We actually woke up this morning to an alarm clock instead of sounds of fighting. Both cats are calm and acting normal but i will continue to monitor them and try to help destess as much as i can. Thanks everyone for the tips. It helps alot I'm really glad i found this place. My mother thinks i'm crazy for treating my cats like my children. Everyone says by now they would have gotten rid of eclipse. But when i look at him and even in my frustration i can't imagine life without him. So i guess we'll just keep sticking to it and trying to relax him.

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
You might want to try a little Rescue Remedy (http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/bach.htm) in the water until everything is finished :shrug: it can be found at homeopath vets, holistic health food stores

Magicwildwolf69
July 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks growler and to answer the question i did see before he had a whole check up in February when this problem first started. he bite me 4 times in the leg and various cuts i still have wicked scars. But everything turned out fine the vet said that it could be stress or territory aggression. We worked with him and he calmed down then in april he kept going after serena and then now the last two days again. Seems to be triggered every couple months :shrug:

i hope as i get done with going through things and changing some things around he will calm down more. on the plus side the rearranging i'm doing with give me room to get one of those cat tree things i see in some of the pictures ancient girl has for her cats. wonder if they would like it.

growler~GateKeeper
July 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Cat tree would be good :thumbs up keep 'em occupied :D

MartiniGIrl
July 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I had the exact same problem with my cats to the point I had to separate them for a while as well. I think the cause was a stray cat in my yard, but I still cant be sure.

What did work eventually was Feliway, I got the plug in kind and since then things have been fine. It lasts about a month and even after it ran out things get better at home. My one cat still does snarl and hiss at the other now and then, but she doesnt visciously attack her like she used to.

Do you only have one litterbox? that could be a problem as well. I would get an extra one or even two litter boxes if you have 2 cats.

I have 3 cats and 4 litterboxes.

Magicwildwolf69
July 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
i do have one little box my apartment is a bit on the small side being an attic apartment though i was thinking of the other day trying to find room for another one getting rid of lots of stuff so i should have room the trouble is there are only two floors not carpeted and i heard its bad to keep litter boxes on carpets cause it encourages the cat to go on the carpet :shrug:

they have shared one for two years and now we are just starting to run into the agression problems as i write this i just had to go seperate the cats again. i can't tell if he's looking for somewhere quiet to lay and she's there and they fight or if he's purposlly looking for her. i'm just trying to figure it out still.

Magicwildwolf69
July 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
i just want to cry he gets her cournered and won't leave her alone. i'm going to have to put her in the bedroom when i go to work and take him out. I have her out right now and him in there so they both have free range for part of the day. Bf gets home while i'm at work so he can let her out and eclipse in i guess. I don't know what to do anymore maybe try the feliway maybe it will help even keeping them separated for two days helped at first and now he's back to where he was.

Jim Hall
July 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
OK 3 things another litterbox and having on carpet is ok i have carpet and always have the box on it no problems fell way is good but try lavender first rubb some on some places they like to hang out so they share a scent lavender is verry soothing to cats and humans too

strss and moving stuff will bring aggression out for sure make sure the aggresor is getting plenty of love and pets the othe one too
do they eat together if so maybe seperate them for a while when eating

hopw do you correct him when you see that ? I recommend picking him up or shooing him and then ignoring him for a little bit when he calms down then give him some happy time

maybe he is bored?

Magicwildwolf69
July 3rd, 2008, 12:04 PM
i think he is bored but he doesn't play i try to play with toys with him no real interrest laser light he just watches it yea i've stopped raising my voice to him i usually call his name then shoo him away or pick him up if i don't think he'll bite me. (still have some bad memories of the attack he did to me) i ignore him then give him some attention. I know the moving stuff upset him but i've been moving stuff around for a month and then now he does it? maybe its a built up stress. He's due for a vet visit actually they all are. i will defentely be getting another litter box now just hate walking on the litter lol lots of vacuuming now. he's in the bedroom sleeping right now he gets stressed when the door is shut on him i shut it twice he cried behind it then i opened it and he's sleeping now. Shes sleeping out here in the kitchen with me so when i got to work in a couple hours if he's still in the bedroom should i just lock him in there (food water litter box of course) and then let my bf switch them when he gets home?

i'm allergic to lavender is there anything else that works?

Jim Hall
July 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
catnip can be calming if eaten we do that at adoption days also i dint think my DU gets cranky when she is hot maybe thats the problem?

Magicwildwolf69
July 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well 4 days ago when it started it was muggy and humid it is not cool and nice. As i've been watching them i wonder if i'm out of sleeping spots for him. He is at the moment laying in the closet on top of an air conditioner not in use. i think he may be hot i wasn't planning on shaving him again but maybe i should? we in an attic apartment and its only going to get hotter. but earlier the air conditioner was blocked now that i've opened it back up he's sleeping soundly and calm again. :shrug: i can't seem to make him happy no matter what i try

growler~GateKeeper
July 4th, 2008, 02:53 AM
i will defentely be getting another litter box now just hate walking on the litter lol lots of vacuuming now.

I used to use a clumping clay litter & would literally find the stuff all over the whole apt :frustrated: Since I switched to Feline Fresh (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/) no more litter everywhere :thumbs up I have the pellets but it does also come in a clumping form (which my mum uses for her cat) there is the occasional pellet on the floor from where she has stepped out of the box but that's it :thumbs up

It is also much healthier for the cats & for you, there is no lung clogging dust & a gentle pine scent :cloud9:

Magicwildwolf69
July 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
i'll have to look into that. Things seem a bit better today. We kept Serena in the bedroom with us all night put the Kitten (Stormy) and Eclipse out in the living room kitchen area. They are pretty much inseparable so i figured they be fine. Everytime Eclipse has his temper taturms the kitten never gets targeted though i will still keep an eye on them. We woke up to Serena very relexed and loving. (she came on the bed for attention she hardly ever does that) and when i check the other two they were laying outside the door looking annoyed but fine. I didn't here any fights this morning so i know Eclipse didn't go after the kitten. We allowed them together for now Serena is hissing at Eclipse all the time but he's not really responding. I keep talking gently to her and she's calming down a bit. We are going to keep locking them up at night till things settle back down then we'll see. I'm just worn out now lol.

Winston
July 4th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Can you try this to see if it makes any difference?

Get all the kitties and get some baby powder..rub it in your hands and then wipe each kitty with your hands and make sure they all get some of the powder...it may sound creazy but it works for me and I know a few others that it has worked for! The reasoning behind it is they all smell the same! for some reason this keeps them calmer? when one smells different they fight! It doesnt hurt them either! my old vet suggested this to me many years ago when I would take one or the other to the vets...we would come home and all hell would break loose!!

Good luck!

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
July 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Has Serena been for a full wellness check recently? I wonder if maybe she is giving off strange vibes I certainly :pray: not but something to consider :shrug: