Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Laminate Flooring and Cat Pee -- Advice?

mrmakent
June 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
We have 5 cats in a large 2-story house. We recently replaced the carpeting downstairs with laminate flooring. To our dismay, we've discovered that cat pee on laminate flooring, undetected for any length of time, causes severe bubbling of the laminate surface at the seams. Naturally, the salesman never mentioned this to us.

Does anyone have any advice for us on how to handle this problem? In particular, we are looking for some kind of sealer we can use.

Thanks.

angeldogs
June 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
The sealer for laminate floor is expensive.i was told to just fill the seams with clear wood glue.just don't know if it will stop the damage from cat pee.

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I think your best bet is to discover the reason behind the peeing outside the litterbox and address the cause directly.

Using an enzymatic cleaner or hydrogen peroxide to clean the area will effectively remove all lingering odour & should stop the repeat peeing behaviour in that area. If they smell it in an area they will continue to return to the same spot.

How many boxes do you have for 5 cats? Open or enclosed? How often are they cleaned?

Have all the cats been vet checked recently? If not I would suggest that as a first step.