Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Park Peeve

Chaser
June 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Argh! Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but as far as I'm concerned, if you want to bring a ball to play fetch with your dog at the dog park, you should A) Be prepared to play fetch with ALL the dogs, and B) Be prepared to leave without the ball!

We were just at the park this evening and a girl of about 10 kept yelling at Chase for playing fetch with her dog and his ball! She even hit him with the Chuck-It!!!!! :yell:

If this was an adult I would have absolutely told her off - but what can I say to a kid? Her parents were off on the other side of the park and paying no attention at all. I encourage bringing kids to the dog park - but only when the parents intend to teach the child how to PROPERLY interact with the dogs! Although I have to say I have seen similar "not knowing how to share" behaviour in adults at the park as well at other times.

So all I could do was bite my tongue, glare angrily at her clueless parents, and march off to a seperate fenced in area of the park. Chase was totally confused. He knows how to "Wait" and not run after a ball immediately when it is thrown...but she kept doing it over and over and it wasn't fair to him so we had to leave. :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a 'no toys' rule at the dog park. The park near us when we were in town didn't allow toys at all to prevent scuffles between dogs and between owners! :rolleyes:

And if it had been me, even if she was a child, she would have gotten told off for hitting my dog. :frustrated: That was totally uncalled for. I likely would have marched her right over to her parents and had a few words... but then, hazel is not known for her tact in such situations :o

BlueBreeze
June 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
You are alot nicer than I would have been if someone had hit my dog! GRRRRR

Stupid parents.

Lukka'sma
June 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
The parks we have here have a no toy rule posted as well, never followed however. I don't take Lukka any longer to the park (she can't play anyway), but when we did go I would end up leaving early with her because she would chase any dog carrying a ball and it would always be a scuffle.

angeldogs
June 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Our dog park you will find tennis balls all the time.i haven't been in awhile.and when i do go and take a ball the sun is just coming up and as soon as i see another owner and dog the ball gets put away till next time.

Chaser
June 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
It didn't help that I couldn't clearly tell who her parents were...they were just part of a large group of people on the other side of the park.

I hate that I didn't say anything....but that happens to me a lot. When I get mad, I get REALLY angry and the things that start going through my head are so nasty I'm scared to open my mouth. I can't seem to manage to be assertive....I'm either a complete B$!#& or completely silent :shrug:

It's so frustrating because we just don't know a lot of dogs personally (or they're quite far away). I'm so worried about Chase getting lots of socialization so he remains the friendly little guy that he is....but I f-ing hate the dog park!!!

angeldogs
June 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I can relate i used to say things to kids.nothing nasty just got real mad.now i just explain things to them.even how to greet a dog and such.

I hate the dog park now everyone is to busy standing around and talking not playing attention to their kids or dogs.some bring in 2 year old or younger or a little older which i feel is wrong.i've been knocked almost to the ground and it took everthing i had to stand due to mud.and other people get knocked down or hurt.young kids can get seriously hurt in dog parks.

allymack
June 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
And if it had been me, even if she was a child, she would have gotten told off for hitting my dog. :frustrated: That was totally uncalled for. I likely would have marched her right over to her parents and had a few words... but then, hazel is not known for her tact in such situations :o

i agree i would have marched right up to her and told in a very stern and firm voice what she did wrong, an if she dint want my dog to play with her dogs ball then she could ask me to please not let my dog play with her dog right then, and that she needs to learn to treat all animals, not just hers, with respect, i mean if Chase was an aggressive dog he could have taken that as a challenge and roughed her up quite bad.Next i would have asked to her take me to her parents so i could have a word with them and tell them about their child's actions so they could deal with it too.

but i think it is better that you said nothing to her then totally lost your cool, caus ethat could have made the situation a heck of alot worse.

I know your feelings though, its almost like the dog park rules should be posted on the outer fence for people to read, i mean its just common sense going to a dog park with a ball, almost every dog likes to play ball...dont do it at a dog park.

Chaser
June 29th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks All - it's nice having a place to vent!

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2008, 11:31 PM
It's so frustrating because we just don't know a lot of dogs personally (or they're quite far away). I'm so worried about Chase getting lots of socialization so he remains the friendly little guy that he is....but I f-ing hate the dog park!!!

Yeah, I hear ya! Sometimes it's hard to get them what they need. :sad: Dog parks can be more trouble than they're worth.

Does Chase have any "special friends" from the dog park? If you have a safely fenced-in back yard available, maybe you can arrange play sessions with some of his best buddies?

Chaser
June 30th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Not really any in particular :sad: But my brother-in-law just got a new Chesepeake Bay Retriever puppy a few days ago! :D They haven't met yet but will soon and I think they will become quite good friends. And he has his Cattle Dog girlfriend Montana :lovestruck: who belongs to our friends. But that's about it for the dogs we know.

There is another dog park here that we tend to have better experiences at in general, so I think maybe we will just stick to that one. It is an off-leash hiking trail and tends to attract serious owners who actually work with their dogs (unlike just standing around and socializing like angeldogs was talking about)!

I'm just trying to be patient until we can get a second dog. I think Chase is ready for it, as he is well-trained, always so sociable, and he sulks for hours everytime Montana leaves him :sad: But the poor boy has to wait for Boyfriend and I to successfully find full-time employment now that we're done university! :fingerscr that we can get him a little sister soon!

Oh, and we meet the new Chesepeake pup in two days - I will post pictures!!!

hazelrunpack
June 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Between Montana and puppy, sounds like Chase is gonna have his paws full :D

I can't recall if it's been mentioned :o... but are there any obedience classes available where you live? And has Chase been to any? I prefer to do my own training, but the classes make excellent opportunities for socializing in a controlled environment :thumbs up

Chaser
June 30th, 2008, 12:32 AM
He's at a point now where he knows all of his basic obedience. The only thing left to do would be more advanced training to move into agility and the like, and unfortunately that isn't something we can afford right now :sad:

I think maybe I'm just paranoid about it. He is a little over a year now and he has met a TONNE of different dogs in the past year. Now he is incredibly friendly and easygoing - the kind of dog that when another dog comes up and steals his stick he just lays down and looks at them with a sad face :) I'm just worried he'll lose all his friendliness if I don't continue to let him meet new dogs. I don't really know if that can happen though? We eventually want to live in a rural area, so I guess eventually I won't be able to maintain this level of socialization anyway....he'll just have to play with the pack of dogs I want to adopt! :laughing:

TeriM
June 30th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I agree, one of my favorite peeves as well :frustrated:. Sounds like you are doing a great socializing job with Chase :thumbs up. Dog parks can be great places as long as you are prepared to listent to your instincts and leave as soon as you sense trouble.

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I don't have a dog, but I agree with the others in that you should have said something to her. 10 years old is old enough to know you don't hit a dog! It's when you need to start instilling in children to not just love their dog, but to treat others with respect and caring.

Telling her that she should not have brought the ball and expected to only have her dog fetch is would have been good too. It's obvious the parents wanted to just get her and the dog out of their hair, so as usual it leaves the lesson giving to a stranger.

Never allow anyone to hit your dog/cat and just leave it at that. Voice your anger and tell them to keep their hands to themselves.

Folkwitch
June 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
We were just at the park this evening and a girl of about 10 kept yelling at Chase for playing fetch with her dog and his ball! She even hit him with the Chuck-It!!!!!

I would have done the same thing you did, stepped back and removed myself from the situation or I may have taken the Chuck-It to that girl!

IMO the parents of that girl should be told that she needs to learn how to work with animals before she or her dog gets hurt. I think many parents are quick to get their kids the pet they want but don't bother to sign them up for classes to teach them how to control their animal. The result is children who could very well be detrimental to any other training their pet is receiving.

Chaser
June 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I agree Folkwitch, it's SO important for children to be taught how to act appropriately with dogs. I am the only doggie person in my family, and I have many nieces and nephews, all of whose parents are quite weary of dogs and generally avoid them. I'm glad I have chances to teach the kids proper dog behaviour, because they are going to encounter dogs at some point and I really think they need to know how to do it safely.

I've seen so many children at the park do things like pick up a stick and wave it around, and next thing they know they have five dogs running at them. Not smart. Parents need to be teaching their kids better than that. Of course I think dogs need good training as well, but it goes both ways.

LuckyTheDog
June 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
If your dog had nipped the kid you'd have found out who the parents were fast enough. Being a kid is no excuse for being able to abuse a pet - anybody's pet. I would have told the kid off quite loudly and when the parents came to see who was abusing the kid, they'd have got it too.

Dingo
June 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Funny. I took my dog to the park the other day. He's just learning to swim, and since it was really hot I wanted him to get in the water, so I took a tennis ball for him to fetch. Some other dog grabbed the ball from him, and instead of giving it back to me, his owner started throwing it for his dog! That really peeved me. It's one thing when all the dogs get involved, but hello...

BenMax
June 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Something very similiar happened to me a few years back at the dog park. I had a Shep X Pitt who was very 'friendly' with another dog. Though Max was dominent he was not aggressive and I knew when and if there was going to be trouble. This time he did mount the other dog and the 'owner' PUNCHED my dog in the head. Everyone's jaw dropped but turned away - except for me of course. It was not a pretty sight - let's put it that way. Dog parks are suppose to be 'dog tolerant'. It's their playground and people need to understand how dogs interact. At the same time, people should absolutely be responsible for their dogs.....and children. I don't think dog parks are the best for small kids anyways- packs running can break little bones.

mastifflover
June 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Wow are you nice I would have let the kid have it. I do not hit my own dog let alone allow someone else to. I would have made it loud and clear then maybe the parents would have heard and come over. What would have happened if your dog bit the little brat? I would never take a toy to the park, Clark is way to obsessed with his ball and would definitely get in a fight over it. He does not share well with others.

Chaser
June 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The most irritating thing is that the dogs were playing nicely! The other dog didn't mind sharing his ball - it was the girl that had the issue with it :frustrated:

I DO wish I had spoken up, it was just kind of shocking and I'm a person that usually thinks of the best thing to say/do about 24 hours after the fact.

I should clarify though: She wasn't violently beating him with the Chuck-it or anything. Yes, it was offensive and bothersome to me, and if Chase wasn't so tolerant she could have gotten herself bitten - but it was no threat to Chase's health or well-being. If she had come close to hurting him IN THE LEAST I would not have kept quiet about it. But I thought I should clarify since I was so mad when I first posted I don't want it to sound as though he was being beaten or something! It was more a matter of principle.

mastifflover
June 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I assumed that it was not a beating but the fact is she hit a dog that was not hers, and had Chase not been so tolerant it could have gone a completely different way. We all think of the best things to say after all is said and done.

Chaser
June 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
We all think of the best things to say after all is said and done.

Yes, unfortunately this is very true! :o