Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog paw blister

KMP
June 29th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I was wondering if there is anything I can do for my dog who got blisters on his big pad of both his front paws. The blisters have popped and the skin had a flap and now has torn off. He tends to lick it a lot. Do I need to take him to the vet or just clean and let it heal on its own? He basically got it from running on the pavement on a hot day.

pitgrrl
June 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM
You need to stop the licking, that's going to lead to bigger problems because it's keeping the area constantly moist and irritated.

I would clean the area daily with soap and warm water, leaving the paws uncovered so they can dry out when I was there to watch the dog and make sure there's not licking happening.

For outings and/or when I couldn't supervise I'd get a pair of baby socks and some dog boots (socks because they're soft and easier to keep clean, then boots for protection) and put those on the affected paws.

Watch out for heat, swelling, puss, redness around the wounds, all the typical signs of infection and head to the vet if things aren't looking good.

KMP
June 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your response. I was hoping it was somethink like that but wasn't sure as I've never had a dog with blisters. Not sure if it is common. Do you know how long this may last?

Chaser
June 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
My dog's paw pads started peeling several weeks ago, so I can relate! Great advice from pitgrrl so definately follow that :thumbs up

An alternative to cleaning with soap and water though is some saline (salt water) which Dr. Lee (the vet on this board) advised me to use. I just found it to be easier - one step instead of having to rinse off the soap. I cleaned them twice a day. If your dog won't tolerate you dipping his paw in saline then just soak a soft cloth with it and press it gently on the pads.

My pup's paws healed in about 3-4 days. It shouldn't take too long for your dog to be feeling better as long as they are kept clean and dry.

I found from this experience there is nothing worse than paw problems, so prevention is key! Once they are completely healed with no broken skin, I would start applying a paw protector daily. I found a great one at Pet Valu: "Dr. Maggie's Paw Protector". It's got safe, natural ingredients and Chase's paws are already toughening up A LOT!

Good luck and hope your dog feels better soon! :pawprint: