Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Signs of Rabies

SAFETY1
July 7th, 2004, 12:07 PM
:eek: My cat (her name is Midnight) was attacked by a fox last week and a few days before a rabit fox was killed down the road.We beleive the fox bite her tail, she had some blood on her tail, I washed it with peroxide but people say I should watch for rabies. She is up to date with her Vaccinations.
What do I watch for ? My vet said if she acts different or drinks alot of water...What do you think ?

Princesss04
July 7th, 2004, 12:20 PM
She has had a rabi vacc. is that right?

Spoiled
July 7th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Going crazy for water, drooling, etc. are all signs of rabies. I understood that she has had her rabies vaccination, right?

Princesss04
July 7th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Going crazy for water, drooling, etc. are all signs of rabies. I understood that she has had her rabies vaccination, right?

She said that she was up to date on her shots. I am not sure if she has had a rabbi shot or not some vets do not give them unless they are asked.

Spoiled
July 7th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Exactly. Thats my point. She didn't say that she was up to date on her rabies vaccination.

Luba
July 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Did you discuss this with your vet by chance? :confused:

Spoiled
July 7th, 2004, 05:13 PM
My vet said if she acts different or drinks alot of water...

This says it right here...

Luba
July 7th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Oopse so it did.

My bad, tx Spoiled :D

Up to date on vaccinations I assume also means rabies.

I'd be happy your cat got away from a fox. I've seen them catch just about everything and NOTHING got away. Looks like one of those 9 lives came in handy.

Any pictures?

Luba
July 7th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Not sure where you live but isn't your vet obligated to report this and submit bloodwork for testing.

MBRA518
July 7th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Not sure where you live but isn't your vet obligated to report this and submit bloodwork for testing.

Can they check for rabies with blood work - I thought they could only check from the dead brain... or was that just the cheapest way??? I can't remember, anyone know - just curious.

Luba
July 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Ok well I'm confused about that one, haven't they developed or figured out other testing yet?

I thought for sure they had... because I heard just last week three people died from rabies that got transplants from a man infected (didn't know he had it). They hadn't mentioned they did post mortems on the bodies and looked specifically for rabies cause it's so very rare.

I just assumed that it showed up somehow in some test they did. Now this is an interesting topic. I'd do more research but right now I can't . Late and need to be with Sadie...if anyone has any info on Rabies testing pls post it . I would love to know!

Cujo (I do have that video on vhs I think I'll watch it tomorrow lol)

glasslass
July 8th, 2004, 12:20 AM
I read about those cases yesterday in the paper. Actually there was a 4th patient infected from the same donor but he died of complications from the surgery. Said they are considering screening blood donations for rabies? I know there have also been cases where rabies was contracted through a cornea transplant.

Luba, I thought you were going to bed. You must be exhausted and emotionally spent. Go tuck your baby in, and yourself too. :o

Luba
July 8th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Oh I've been up and down watching her, I'm sleeping on the sofa but can't sleep. Everytime I hear here whimper a little or move I get up, but I get up even when she doesn't move.
She really isn't very comfortable the poor baby.
I am tired though so I just came on for a second...tx for thinkin of me!

They said blood work screening huh, I thought maybe so...which is a great idea even though it's rare...people have now died. How awful, and what a shock, to be told thats why and how your family member died.

SAFETY1
July 8th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Hello everyone thanks for all your feed back. Yes she has had her rabies vaccination. I live in Connecticut and would of thought they would be able do a blood test just to see, but my vet said just to watch for signs of acting strange or aggressiveness and also if she starts to drink alot. I am praying the fox didn't have rabies... :D