Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6-year Sheltie Not Accepting New Puppy

cynlee
June 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM
My 6-year old Sheltie, who is usually very loving, is not responding well to my 16-week old Border Collie. I continually am waiting for some improvement, but so far it's evident that my sheltie simply does not want this new puppy around. He is displaying signs of aggression, and last night the two of them really went after each other. After my 12-year old dog passed away this past March, my 6-year old was lost, so it was decided that he needed a new playmate...I guess we should have asked him first, because clearly he's not impressed. I understand that the new puppy is extremely playful and gets in the 6-year old's face more than he should, but I don't know what to do at this point...any suggestions?

bendyfoot
June 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM
When we brought a 12 week old pup home to our 5 year old dog, who until that point had been an "only" dog, we had some issues for the first few months. Keep in mind that it is perfectly normal for the older dog to display some seemingly "aggressive" behaviours towards the pup, such as snapping and baring teeth and curling the upper lip...this is how an adult dog corrects "naughty" puppy behaviour and teaches good manners. That said, if your older guy is really going for the little one (as our Gracie did a handful of times with Jaida), then you need to be on top of it asap. We really didn't let the two hang out unsupervised for quite a few months. If we were out, the puppy was in her crate and Gracie got the rest of the house. When Jaida was really young we kept her on a lead in the house so we could quickly grab her and correct/distract her if she was bugging Gracie. On the few occasions where Gracie crossed the line from correction to true aggression, we were on her so fast she didn't even see it coming. As in: we IMMEDIATELY grabbed her by the scruff and physically removed her from the puppy, put her on her back, held her by the cheeks and told her in no uncertain terms that behaviour would NOT be tolerated. We did not yell, we did not hurt her, but we sternly and seriously and authoritatively got the message across. Within two minutes of the incident we had both dogs side by side, relaxed and being praised and patted for sitting nicely with each other. It maybe happened a total of three times, and all before Jaida was about 5 months old. After that, Jaida settled a bit, was bigger, and was more polite. The incidents stopped and we felt we could trust them together. We were right, and now, over a year later, they are the best of buds and have a beautiful relationship. Puppies can be a pain, and it's sort of understandable for the older dog to react, but don't let him get away with aggression. Make sure both dogs know YOU'RE the boss and that you won't tolerate that kind of behaviour. All just my opinion, but it worked out for us.

cynlee
June 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you so much for responding...I feel much better and will put in place what you have suggested. Thanks again!

MIA
June 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Give them time... I know when I got my second dog, my first wasn't too happy, it took them a few months and then they bonded, now they are thicker than theives!!!!

Ford Girl
June 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hi there! Its pretty normal to put the pup in its place, dogs learn best from dogs. When you say aggression - what exactly are you speaking of? Snarl, attack?? Hover, bare teeth? What caused the older dog to react?

Right now I would suggest you learn how to be a confident pack leader, if you do this for them, they dont feel the need to do it for themselves. Youneed to be the leader of both of them. Control things like meal time, toys, have both dogs on the floor not the bed, no furniture, use pens and kennels and other tools to help you manage it. Research NILF, it will help you alot with leadership and earning their respect.

These are good too: http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/

The more you understand dog behavior, the easier it will be for you to read the signs. :thumbs up Pictures please!! ;)

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM
:sorry: I don't have any advice but would like to let you know that the members on this forum are very knowledgeable and will give excellent advice.

Good luck.