Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you stop a cat from ripping open screens?

phoozles
June 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
:yell::frustrated::yell:

Alley, is of course, the :evil:

Last night as I was heading to bed, I saw Jake at the window, gently scratching it, instead of wildly scratching at it like he does when he sees a strange cat.. So I had a feeling, and sure enough, Alley was outside. She had ripped a hole in our screen door and gotten out.

I closed the door and went to bed.

This morning Jake woke me up, but Alley was nowhere to be found. I went downstairs and saw one of our window screens had a huge hole in it :eek:

Luckily Alley was right outside the door, but she lost her collar somewhere along the way.

Now we have to keep all the windows and doors tightly closed. FH and I are going to a wedding this weekend and it's supposed to be hot, but we can't afford to leave the windows open and have Alley running free..

Anyone have any idea how to keep her from ripping the screens apart? FH has replaced the screens on the door and a different window about 4 times already.

Please help! :yell:

jessi76
June 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
you can have windows and screen doors re-screened w/ pet screening. We re-screened our front door w/ it last year. it's like a coated screening... it's darker too. almost hard to see out of well, but it holds up to cat claws just fine. we bought our own screening tools so we can repair our own windows/doors. but I have had screens done for me at the hardware store, it cost about $10/screen.

I dont' know what the tougher screening is called, but I'm sure if you ask at the hardware store they'd know.

14+kitties
June 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Can you get a heavier gauge of screening? If not - chicken wire. The duct tape of the animal kingdom. :rolleyes:
Replace the screen and on the outside of the windows attach chicken wire. It is pretty durable if you get the heavier mesh and if it is attached securely you don't have to worry about her getting through it.

krdahmer
June 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I asked at homedepot once for pet screen, they knew exactly what I was talking about. We haven't bothered to replace any here because it's a rental, but I know where to find it when we have a house of our own. Also asked and our Home Hardware does a window screen for about $10 too, so I guess that's pretty average then.

Ally what a stinker!

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Why did I have a feeling it was Alley the second I read the title of the post.:laughing:

Frenchy
June 27th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I asked at homedepot once for pet screen, they knew exactly what I was talking about.

They do ? That is good to know as I change my screens every year. :yell:

kiara
June 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Our renovation centre Reno Depot sells cat-proof screens. You can always double-up, if necessary. My son's cat always likes to go outside and he has ripped the patio door screen. He can only go out on certain days, since he rippes people's garbage apart. I think he used to live on the street and had to fend for himself. He was adopted from a shelter.

rainbow
June 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the tip ....I never knew that they mad cat proof screens. :thumbs up

Now, let's hope that the one and only hardware store here (Home Hardware) sells them. :goodvibes:

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Yes there is pet screening, very expensive compared to regular stuff, though.

I have never had an issue with cats climbing the screens so I can't offer any advice.

Good luck.

chico2
June 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I had raccoons tearing my patio-door screen apart and got some metal-screening from Home Depot,just as easy to install but very strong,should keep Alley from tearing it.

kathryn
June 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
My mom and I were having problems with the cats tearing at the back screen trying to get to my stray cats. We went to home depot and got pet proof screen. Really cheap. We didn't have to pay to have it rescreened though as my moms uncle is a handy-man. He does all our little repairs in return for lunch and gas money :thumbs up:

It is darker then regular screen, and you can't see out it from certain angles.

phoozles
June 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I didn't even think of the possibility of pet proof screens - thanks so much for the info! FH is a handy man, so he'll be able to handle it :thumbs up

Although I think if there's one cat that can get through any screen, it's :evil: (ahem) I mean Alley :rolleyes: :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I've never had problems w/screens so just wanted to wish you :goodvibes: in successfully keeping the little :evil: on her own side of the window/door :D

btw have you got locks on your windows? - where it only allows the window open 1 inch, that might be an idea :shrug: It's what I have in my apt plus a floor fan on during the day to make sure it's cool enough for Duffy

phoozles
June 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM
We don't have locks - I live in an old country house that should probably be condemned :laughing: (good thing we rent).. When I had the windows open a crack, Alley still managed to crawl in between the space to get at the screen.. :rolleyes:

We were away for a few days over the weekend, so we just left all of the ceiling fans in the house on, and they didn't seem worse for wear.. I'll get those screens tonight - hopefully they work! :fingerscr

phoozles
July 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well, we replaced the screens on the front door and the side window, and while Alley has done her best to try and break through (I actually thought she was going to pull the door right off of its hinges :eek:) they do seem to be Alley proof..

However, the other night I came home and I had a weird feeling I had just seen Alley in the driveway. Sure enough, it was her. FH hadn't gotten around to replacing all the windows yet, and I told him she could fit through tiny spaces.. the window was opened just a crack, and she still managed to get in between and rip a hole in the screen.. :rolleyes:

Which is awesome, because now we have to keep all the other windows closed, and it's 32 degrees (40 with the humidex) and we don't have central air! :yell:

I don't know what I'm going to do with that one!

ancientgirl
July 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM
:laughing: I'm sorry for laughing, but you have to admit, Alley keeps you on your toes.

phoozles
July 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Oh yeah, I've never seen anything like her.. This morning I couldn't find her, so I looked at all the windows to see if there were any holes.. nope.. so I opened up the pantry door (because the moment she hears the door open, she races in and then it takes about 20 minutes to get her out) and she popped up - she was sitting on one of the dining room chairs.. *sigh*

She's lucky she's still a cutie! :D

rainbow
July 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
LOL.....I still think you need to start writing that book. :D