Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Back Yard Grass rescue

Guinness' mom
June 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
While in a pet store I saw a "all natural" product that says it will help prevent the dog from burning the grass. But it also list a number of health issues in which not to give them this product (check with vet...bla bla) If it's "all natural" why could it be harmful? Has anyone tried any of these? Do they work? I mean I bought something to try to stop him eating his POOPsicles:yuck: and it didn't seem to matter:frustrated:
Between him chewing up my bushes and distroying my grass my backyard is no longer pretty:shrug:

Sabine
June 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I would not give those green-gras-pills to my dog. ;) I was fighting for greener pastures in my backyard for years and as of last year I resigned and concentrated on the beautification of my front lawn. What's the point ? :rolleyes: With three dogs running, peeing and digging - who's to win ? Them !:laughing: If we ever sell the place I'll just have a landscape 'artist' come in and roll out a few runners of sod and fill in the craters from hours of digging fun. :dog::pawprint::D

hazelrunpack
June 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
"All natural" has never been synonymous with "safe". Essential oils are great for insect control and aromatherapy, but some of them are dangerous--pennyroyal, for instance, can cause miscarriages in humans.

Same goes with phyto (plant) estrogens--if you wouldn't take hormone replacement therapy with human hormones, there's no reason to believe that plant hormones are any safer for you since they work in similar ways.

So we're always very careful with anything the dogs get--including "all natural" products.

I think Sabine is on the right track. Once Guiness is grown up, he'll settle down and the damaging behavior will end. That's when the back yard can be rehabilitated. :D Till then, just be consistent in your corrections and try not to look at the consequences of all this fun he's having. :dog:

I feel your pain, though! :grouphug: We had Cass, Cole, and Ember (all under a year in age) at our house in the city before we moved out here. The back yard there was only about 50 ft x 75 ft. When we moved, we had to get it landscaped. :o It only cost a few hundred dollars--mostly because the dogs had already removed most of the bushes... :o :laughing: (Yes, I can laugh about it now!)

angeldogs
June 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I would not give those green-gras-pills to my dog. ;) I was fighting for greener pastures in my backyard for years and as of last year I resigned and concentrated on the beautification of my front lawn. What's the point ? :rolleyes: With three dogs running, peeing and digging - who's to win ? Them !:laughing: If we ever sell the place I'll just have a landscape 'artist' come in and roll out a few runners of sod and fill in the craters from hours of digging fun. :dog::pawprint::D

:laughing::laughing:
That's my plan if i ever sell the house.

satchelp
June 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
There is a fairly simple solution if you are willing to keep track of where and when your dog pees. Pee burns are caused by the urea in the dog's urine. If it is diluted, it will not burn the grass. If you keep a hose or watering can handy, and you pour water where the dog has peed, it will dilute it to the point where it will not burn the grass.

Here is some more info on this http://www.greensideupblog.com/?p=106

Sabine
June 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
BTW: Has anyone ever tried that trick with tomato juice ? Apparently a few spoonfuls supposedly neutralize the acid in the dog's urine.........they say. :shrug:

Ford Girl
June 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
My yard's trashed too, its a lost cause at this piont! We had to by a nutralizer, all natural, pet safe, @ $40 a bucket, use 4 buckets, you dig up your soil and mix it in, water daily and mix evey second day, then a week later you plant new grass - I custome ordered high traffic pet specific grass seed. Planted that - nothing. Neither worked, its a barren yellow and green and black mess. :yell:

The guy at the garden palce told me, if these two things combined didn't work, nothing will, and to re-sod when we move. :frustrated:

Guinness' mom
July 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
LOL....well thanks for the :grouphug:....I really love my dog I must as I probably have mild OCD so it's good therapy having to learn to put up with dog hair and ruined back yard...(giggle):laughing:
I often wonder what none pet owners think of us walking our dogs on the street and the pee damage the dogs cause at the end of their front lawns I mean all responsible dog owners pick up the poop but the unlucky home owners with fire hydrants, lamp posts and hydro boxes must get nailed with dog urine burn:eek:

Lise
July 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
I haven't tried the green grass pills on my guys between three dogs and chickens,peacocks and guineas digging holes I've given up,but I do have a client with a dal who ws licking her feet constantly with allergies and for some reason she stopped when she was on them.It's probably better for her than antihistamines and steroid vet put her on.

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
I haven't tried the green grass pills on my guys between three dogs and chickens,peacocks and guineas digging holes I've given up,but I do have a client with a dal who ws licking her feet constantly with allergies and for some reason she stopped when she was on them.It's probably better for her than antihistamines and steroid vet put her on.

Now that's fascinating! I might have to explore that idea a little--we have a dog with very mild 'itchy' allergies. I'd like to have an option besides Benadryl... Thanks, Lise! :thumbs up I'll do a little research.

Lise
July 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm using a product called Moducare for Nell's itchy feet.All natural plant sterols that boost immune function,I know other people that have had a lot of success with their itchy dogs on this.Nell licked her feet raw and the only thing that worked for her was a steroid/antihistamine on this she still licks occasionally when pollen counts are high,but not until her feet bleed.