Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some new Czarina

ancientgirl
June 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I took these two last night. There's nothing wrong with her eyes, LOL, she's just not used to a camera in her face like the others. She looks very relaxed and she was, but after I took these she started swatting at me and hissing then went into her pyramid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four%203/030-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four%203/031-2.jpg

I gave her some rescue remedy this morning and a little while ago with her food. I had to reorder the prozac in a different form since she's on to me and not letting me near her ears. So I've been using the rescue remedy. I don't know if it's working since she's still hissing but, right now she's actually sitting outside her pyramid. I think that's some progress :D

I had thought about trying to get her in the carrier and just bring her out into the living room, but I'm going to wait on that. I'm going to keep giving her the rescue remedy for another several days and see how that helps her come out of her shell a bit. :fingerscr

krdahmer
June 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Aw... she looks great! And ya it took my guys a while to get used to cameras in their faces too. Palomine still looks at it like it's :evil:! I have the funniest little video of him just staring at the flashing red light like it's going to kill him and then slinking away slowly...:rolleyes::laughing:

If the remedy is helping, maybe you could just use that? It sounds like she's made a lot of progress already (although I'm sure it doesn't seem that way sometimes).... and she looks right at home in your lap, so I'd say she's starting to see how cushy the indoor life can be! (She's just not so sure she wants to share the good life with those other kitties just yet! ;) )

ancientgirl
June 26th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Well, I'm using the RR only because I haven't gotten the liquid prozac, but I've been doing some reading up on RR and it should work instantly which doesn't for her. Right now I'm using it hoping it keeps her calm even just a little bit.

I was just in there with her and she was sitting on my lap. She'll be calm and purring one minute, then she'll just instantly start growling and hissing. I wasn't petting her, just sitting there with her on my lap.

Heck, right now I could use some RR myself! This is so hard. I consider myself a pretty self sufficient person. You have to be when you are single. But it's times like this, I wish I had someone in my life that was physically here to help me.

Masha
June 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Well someone looks awfully comfy in this picture :cloud9: She looks very relaxed and content...

TeriM
June 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Awww, she looks sweet. I also have a tortie and they are famous for their mood swings :rolleyes::lovestruck:.

Perhaps you could start by letting one of the kitties that she got along with a bit into the kitchen for a while. Vlad seems to be the most easy going so perhaps just letting her meet them each one on one before integrating would be a good step?

phoozles
June 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM
She looks snuggly - Ethel won't pose with her eyes open either..

It does sound like you are making good progress, but I think you might want to hold off the introductions for a while yet. Is she still spending the majority of her time in the pyramid? If so, then I think you've got a while yet. If not, then maybe only a couple of days..

It would just be heartbreaking to have come this far and then have a set back where you have to start from square one.

14+kitties
June 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Heck, right now I could use some RR myself! This is so hard. I consider myself a pretty self sufficient person. You have to be when you are single. But it's times like this, I wish I had someone in my life that was physically here to help me.

Hate to tell you this hon but being with someone does not necessarily mean that you get help! :rolleyes: Especially if that someone only tolerates cats.

Czarina is looking great! I just don't think it's time yet for her to meet the others. :shrug:

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I'm slowly realizing she's got mood swings. :rolleyes:

Phoozles, she's spending more time out of the pyramid, so that's some progress. Still hissing and swatting like mad. She's even swatted at me a few times when I walked past her. I don't feel comfortable putting any of the others in the kitchen with her yet, so introductions will certainly not be any time soon.

14+K, I know what you mean. I guess I feel like having some support would be great. Don't get me wrong, I love that I can come here and get the support I get here. If it wasn't for you guys, I think I would have gone nuts by now. I guess I meant it would be nice to have a shoulder to cry on now and then.

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM
DH only helps when he is in the mood, not necessarily when I need it.

As for the hissing and swatting I would think that is normal for a semi feral cat, they have to learn trust, and be socialized. There is a huge difference in my foster kittens now and how gentle they are compared to when I got them. It just takes time and a whole lot of patients.

Sweet Pea has mood swings too. I found changing her food to a lower carb (organics by nature) helped a lot.

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM
DH only helps when he is in the mood, not necessarily when I need it.

As for the hissing and swatting I would think that is normal for a semi feral cat, they have to learn trust, and be socialized. There is a huge difference in my foster kittens now and how gentle they are compared to when I got them. It just takes time and a whole lot of patients.

Sweet Pea has mood swings too. I found changing her food to a lower carb (organics by nature) helped a lot.

Right now she's eating Wellness. Isn't that low in carbs:confused: If not I'll have to try something that is. Anything to help.

I imagine she's tired of the same 4 walls, but I can't let her out into the rest of the apartment the way she is.

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I believe it is, that is what I was feeding Sweet Pea, I now mix her food with the organics which is all meat, no potatoes, carrots, etc, etc.

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Oy poop! I don't think they sell Organics here. I've never seen it anywhere. I believe Evo is mostly protein. I know where I can get some of that, so I think I'll get a few cans for her this weekend and see how it goes.

In the mean time, I was able to speak to the vet and she's ordering me the prozac in liquid so I can mix with her food. I haven't been giving her any for almost a week since she's not allowed me near her ears.

Jim Hall
June 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
hey my DI after a year still hisses and swats when i bither her to much lol

as long as the claws dont come out it just cat talk for bug off

she is doing great i might even forget the prozac :thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Jim, I'd like to forget the prozac too. It would be cheaper for me, but I'm concerned for the safety of the other 4 and her. I'd like for her to not feel so stressed and anxious and allow herself to be comfortable inside. Having others around isn't easy for her so the prozac is in the hopes she loosens up a bit as far as other cats. I don't want her to attack any of the others, like she did Kiska the first time around. Even though, Kiska could probably hold her own against her. At the time, she was barely 5 months old and had been recently spayed and still had fresh stitches. But I'd rather not have to worry about all of them being in the apartment and fighting while I'm at work. I don't want anyone to get hurt.

loopoo
June 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
she looks pretty comfy:) my cat after 12 years still has mood swings:D you are doing great, it takes time, and it will just get better

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I was thinking, I can probably deal with the mood swings, but I need to make sure she isn't aggressive towards the others. That's really my biggest fear.

rainbow
June 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I also have a tortie and they are famous for their mood swings :rolleyes::lovestruck:.

Isn't that why they are called cats with tortitude? :D

Beautiful Czarina is looking very calm in those pics. I wouldn't rush the introductions, but when it is time, I would introduce one at a time at first. :)

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I have a few more weeks yet before I think she'll be ready. I'm hoping at least in weeks not months.:laughing:

rainbow
June 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Czarina will let you know when it's time. ;) :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 08:56 PM
At least she's more comfortable being out of the pyramid a little more. When I come home she's out and when I leave for work she's out. So at least she's not in there all the time anymore.

onster
June 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Yay for progress!

She really is absolutely gorgeous, i have a feeling everything will work out just fine :goodvibes::goodvibes:

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I'm hoping for more progress in time. Little by little she's coming around.

chico2
June 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Aww Ancient,she's a sweety,just the fact she allows you to cuddle her,is great!!

Folkwitch
June 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
My Angus was feral when he was adopted, and while he never did act really friendly like his orange tabby brother (he never liked being picked up or held for example) he did come around in his own way. He didn't like sitting on anyone's lap, but if I put a pillow there first you couldn't get him off! He loved rubbing up against feet and shoes but hated hands reaching for him. Every little bit of progress he made was so exciting, so encouraging. He was the prettiest cat, 20 lbs of long gold/orange/red hair and the most gorgeous amber eyes, and I was priviledged to live with him for 14 years of his 18+ year life.

You're doing a wonderful job with her so far, just be patient and keep showing her how great it can be to have human friends.

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Chico, I always just let her come to me. And while she doesn't sit on my lap for long periods, the short time she does I know she's comfy and now and then I just hear her sigh. That sigh to is that she's content I think. And that's a step in the right direction.

Folkwitch, thanks for telling me about Angus. The more stories I hear about other strays/ferals taken in and having a happy and adjusted indoor life, the better and more hopeful I feel about my girl. A couple of weeks ago she wouldn't even come out of her little pyramid bed for any amount of time. And now she's actually walking around the kitchen and approaching the screen now and then. Day by day she is taking her small steps. :D

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Czarina looks great :cloud9:

Keep telling yourself teeny baby steps, & don't expect too much just yet, it'll all take time :goodvibes:

Isn't that why they are called cats with tortitude? :D

You betcha :thumbs up :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Growler, last night I was sitting with her. She was on my lap and one second purring and the next growling. I thought of you. I wondered, "Hmmm, this must be why Growler uses that name.":laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Growler, last night I was sitting with her. She was on my lap and one second purring and the next growling. I thought of you. I wondered, "Hmmm, this must be why Growler uses that name.":laughing:

Nope the name growler actually came from my :rip: :dog: Cally who was very vocal especially with the growls. If you stepped over him (not touching him of course) he'd growl, when you told him to get off the couch he'd growl :laughing: He'd growl while I was hugging him too :D

Duffy doesn't growl that often, when she is moody/testy she's liable to bite first, then tell you off :laughing:

ancientgirl
June 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM
And here I was picturing a growling Duffy.:cat: