Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

KK Poll: Dog Crate vs. Cage ETC.!!

kashtin's kin
June 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
As the title hints :rolleyes:, as we integrate a big/youngish lab into our household of 5 cats, a senior SENSITIVE dog, and a middle-aged and still very robust JRT we're trying to anticipate possible challenges.

We have travelling crates for all of our present critters (the dogs have theirs available as beds, in a corner of the living room), and I'm wondering if Roy-the-Dawg would be best with a crate or a cage? I'm anticipating that he'll be restricted to cage/crate or a separate room when DH and I are elsewhere...not for that long.

We're also moving (adopted Roy from seller of new small farm), and it's a crazy time; trying to anticipate our older/not-keen-on-change dog's reaction, so she won't have a nervous breakdown, and integrating Roy with our cats (he is not a cat chaser, as far as we've been able to determine).

Roy will need his own cage/crate, as he won't fit into any of our 'extras', and I really would appreciate any feedback on which might be best?? Any suggestions on easing the transition on everyone (got Rescue Remedy!) would be great; we're more accustomed to integrating cats!

The two dogs we presently cater to are quite close...

p.s. for more background info, refer to 'Feral Cat Capture' thread, if inclined...thx!! (Oh, and Roy is intact/never vaccinated :shrug:, so he's booked at the vet clinic fairly soon after his arrival here...we'll all move to the new place when it's 'pony-proofed'!) Yeesh!!

14+kitties
June 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Breathe KK, breathe............

Busy busy time for you. My offer from the other thread of help still stands!

I just need clarification of cage/crate. Crate I know because I use them for the cats for recoup and rest and whatever else I need them for. Cage as in? How big, situated where, same room as everyone else or not?

I opt for the crate only because this way he could see and be seen without incident. The sniffing, growling, hissing, spitting could be got out of the way. I suppose an errant claw could concievably get through the side of the cage but that would mean the cat attached to the claw would have to get close enough to deliver.

I have not had to introduce dogs to each other for a few years but when I did it was basically keeping them separated. As in - Sam the ferocious guard dog was mainly outside, inside at night, Keesha and Tasha :rip: were in the house and confined to living room at night.

I know that's not much help. Lately my department is more kitties. :o Someone very knowledgable will be along soon. :thumbs up

kashtin's kin
June 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Thx 14+ a/k/a new neighbour! Trust me, your offer of help is HUGELY appreciated, and will be accepted; your # is now on my cell speed-dial :D! Do you have room in your greenhouse for ponies...teehee/kidding!!

With regard to the 'cage', I was just thinking of one that would be maybe a tad bigger than whatever crate fits Big Roy; I was thinking that if he had to be in it a bit, he'd be less isolated than in the more enclosed crate (just as you mentioned).

Thx, I feel as if I've been concentrating on the kitties for a while, too! Hopefully some of the BB 'doggers' will have some advice!

aslan
June 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Quincy was kept in a cage instead of an enclosed crate. This way he could see around and not get into trouble. It will give the kitties a chance to check him out with some sense of security to them.

14+kitties
June 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Ok, gotcha now. When I was saying crate this is what I was thinking about. I have always called them crates. :shrug: Sorry, I wasn't thinking at all about those other more enclosed ones because I don't like them. What can I say, it's been a long day. :o

aslan
June 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
yup that's what i'm talking about, lol just a much smaller version.

kashtin's kin
June 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback :thumbs up! I was thinking 'more open' crate from the get-go, then I just got to wondering crate vs. cage. I'll see if the poll brings up any more issues that may not have occured to me, but the crate is sounding good...

TeriM
June 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I agree with the open crate suggestion. You could also consider an exercise pen if you have the available room.

Best way for dog integration is to meet on neutral territory (or at least outside) and to do lots of fun things together. The best way is to all go for walks together :thumbs up.

growler~GateKeeper
June 27th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I also prefer the open crate, as pictured above, you can also drop a tarp/blanket over them to give it the option of a den/security place, without being limited.

kashtin's kin
June 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Again, I really appreciate the advice/opinions posted above :D ! The meeting on neutral territory is something we did do with our long-ago last dog integration...it was in my brain somewhere :rolleyes:. Frejya is not exactly 'tottering', but she needs real coaxing to go further than her outdoor toilette area; we'll have to do the intro just slightly past the property line (last time we used a quiet country park).

Since Frejya's hair-trigger sensitivity means that we get punished :eek: with baleful looks and ignored even if her supper is late (we don't pander to these slights!), we'll just have to make her feel as unthreatened and 'treasured' as possible. We're bound to fail to meet Frejya's exacting standards no matter what we do, but we'll do our best!

I'm definitely going for the more 'open' crate for Roy...should be an interesting time :fingerscr. After integrating lots of horses over the years at my boarding stable, you'd think I'd be a bit more sanguine :o ; horses and their pecking order protocol can be pretty darn cruel...yet, things almost always work out.