Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my kitten keeps attacking my puppy

cue_and_tea
June 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
So I wrote on the bulletin board about a week ago asking for advice on how to get my kitten and my puppy to get along.

Well they are still going at it. and I managed to train my puppy to leave my kitten alone, but my kitten keeps attacking my puppy. and what is my puppy suppose to do but bite back.

anyways, they are about the same age (one week apart) and I am really hoping that they start getting along soon. because trying to keep them from fighting with each other is getting exhausting. They've been in the same household now for more than two weeks.

I got my kitten first, he was a rescued and was bottle fed etc. So i know he's really attached to me and I know the puppy has made him really jelous. But I try and spend as much alone time as possible with him. I'm wondering if squirting him with water everytime he pounces on my puppy would be a good idea.

I really don't want either of them to get hurt.

any advice would be great!

Dingo
June 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
What do you mean by "attacking," exactly? Could the cat simply be playing?

phoozles
June 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM
There is a good chance that the kitten just wants to play with the puppy - kittens have a LOT of energy and love to 'hunt' and pounce..

Does your kitten hiss and growl at the puppy?

cue_and_tea
June 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
no, no hissing. just a lot of arching of the back and "stalking"

Dingo
June 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Sounds like play to me.

phoozles
June 26th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Me too - I have three kittens in my house right now, and they all do that - running sideways - it's quite hilarious! :laughing:

Your kitten isn't trying to hurt your puppy, just to play with him/her, and I wouldn't worry too much about it unless one of them is getting hurt.

MyBirdIsEvil
June 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have an 8lb cat that plays with a 50lb dog. They get pretty rough and no one seems to get hurt, so there's probably nothing to worry about :D.