Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Off to trap some ferals

Love4himies
June 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Well I am hoping to get some feral kittens and momma today. The kittens are about 6 weeks old and the black one has an eye infection so bad he/she can't open their eyes, so essentially it is blind. They are living in the Queen's University student ghetto area so they are not safe from high traffic volumes.

Momma is quite feral, so we are hoping at least to get the kittens so they can get vet care, but better to have momma too, Gan HS will spay her.

Lukka'sma
June 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I also hope you can get them trapped and the vet care that they need. Poor little thing with eye infection:cry:
Good luck

hazelrunpack
June 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Good luck, L4H! :goodvibes: :fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Good luck!:fingerscr:goodvibes:

Chris21711
June 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Good Luck L4H:pray:

Love4himies
June 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Well no luck, no owners home.

Only saw the one sick kitten, it is blinded due to its eyelids being crusted shut.

It is standing on the bottom of an upside down couch so about 4 feet up and everytime it takes a step at the end of the couch to come down for food, it almost falls and so it scrambles back up. It is now shivering like it has a fever. Animal control won't do anything without permission from the owner :sad::mad:. I thought they are allowed to rescue animals in distress, but I guess not.

Where is the bravery of Tre Smith when needed?

ancientgirl
June 26th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I don't understand Animal Control sometimes. I'm guessing the place is fenced huh?

Poor little kitty.

poodletalk
June 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I don't understand, if the cats are stray you can just trap them and take them. I think it's great that you are trying to help the feral kittens.

phoozles
June 26th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Poor blinded kitten :sad:

Do you simply need permission from the person who owns the property, or the owner of the cats? How frustrating!

:goodvibes::fingerscr that you'll be able to get these little guys to a vet soon!

14+kitties
June 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Isn't it wonderful that we need the "owners" permission to go in to rescue cats he/she isn't looking after anyway? If a child was sight impaired and teetering on the edge of a precipise we wouldn't hesitate to go into an area to save it. It is so frustrating our laws forbid us to do the same for a helpless kitten for fear of prosecution for trespassing! How frustrating for you L4H.
:grouphug: and thank you for trying to help this litter.

Frenchy
June 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Isn't it wonderful that we need the "owners" permission to go in to rescue cats he/she isn't looking after anyway?

My thoughts exactly ... and animal control don't want to help either ? :frustrated:

Thanks for trying Love4himies :grouphug:

Love4himies
June 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I went back to see the kittens, the eyes have opened, either on their own or by momma washing them. We left behind sardines, they were gone, of course, when we went back. The kitten is still shivering.

We can't leave the humane trap behind, the garage/shed is open to the street and will probably be stolen.

I talked to the kittens and left behind more sardines, not nutritionally complete, but better than nothing. I am hoping the kittens will associate me and my coworker with good food and come out.

The shed door is locked with a padlock so we can't enter the premises, animal control can't enter the premises without the permission of the owners.

Lukka'sma
June 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Heartbreaking to know that they are there in need of help and no way to save them:cry:

rainbow
June 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM
This is just so sad. :sad: Thanks for doing everything you can for these poor kitties. :angel: :grouphug:

Do the owners of the property live there? Can you go back at night to see if they are there?

Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

amaya
June 26th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm just wondering…is it impossible to get permission from the owner for some reason?

krdahmer
June 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
:goodvibes::pray::grouphug:

amaya
June 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM
By the way, warms my heart all the animal people out there that are watching out for feral cats! This is so great!

chico2
June 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
L4H,wow,you are turning in to a wonderful kitty-:angel2:
These little guys are so sweet,I hope the whole family can be rescued very soon.
I would think Animal Control would want to catch the mom,have her fixed and in that way keep her from having more feral kittens.
At least you know where they are,is it a possibility they belong to the owner and not feral??

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I'm just wondering…is it impossible to get permission from the owner for some reason?

We don't know how to contact the owners. It is a rental, probably to university students.

Chris21711
June 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
L4H - Try contacting the OSPCA in your area or an affiliate, they also have Agents. An Agent by law is allowed to enter a free standing structure on private property if an animal is thought to be in distress. If it is a garage attached to the main dwelling, then no, without a warrent. Animal Control do not have the same powers.

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
L4H - Try contacting the OSPCA in your area or an affiliate, they also have Agents. An Agent by law is allowed to enter a free standing structure on private property if an animal is thought to be in distress. If it is a garage attached to the main dwelling, then no, without a warrent. Animal Control do not have the same powers.

I have contacted the local Humane society and they told me they couldn't do anything and to contact Animal Control so I did, they will not do anything unless the owner gives them permission to.

Very frustrating.

The kitten's eyes have opened this morning, momma must have washed them up enough to uncrust them. My coworker left some Fancy Feast, I know not the best, but better than just sardines, for them this morning. She said they looked so much better and active today, probably because they have a full tummy thanks to her.

She will continue to feed them and talk to them hoping they will eventually trust her enough to come out when she arrives. I have the humane trap here at work which is only a block away from where they are.

Chris21711
June 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Since it seems nobody wants to take responsibility :shrug: Thanks for taking care of them L4H. Hope things turn out good for these little guys and momma.

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM
There's some good news then. At least they seem more active. Sounds like they might have been very hungry and food helped.

I really hope you can find the people that live there home soon. It's obvious they either don't know or don't care about those cats.

amaya
June 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
You can find out who the owner of the building is through city hall or a nice real estate agent can help you. Maybe try canada 411 to match up the address to a phone number. Most landlords hate the idea of cats 'ruining' the real estate and would be happy to have someone else deal with the 'problem'. Worth a try anyways…

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Got The Two Kittens, Not The Momma Off To The Vet, Bye!!!!

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Too bad you couldn't get momma, but you got the kittens, and you can still come back for momma. Good luck!

14+kitties
June 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM
You go girl!!!!!!!!! WTG!!!
I hope everything goes well at the vets. You will have to fill us in on how you did it. Are you going to foster these two too? Is the trap still set for mom?
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lukka'sma
June 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
OMG!!!! You got them:highfive:
I had serious doubts about reading this thread again because I just didn't want to hear about the poor kitten with the bad eyes and be told he stumbled and fell and is injured or worse, but I'm so glad I did read it now. I hope you can get momma too, but at least the little ones will have the medical attention they need. Wonderful job:D

rainbow
June 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Awesome job, L4H. :thumbs up :angel:

Good luck at the vet and with momma too. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Had to leave them at the vet, they were in surgery with a dog that got hit by a car.

What a day, my adrenaline is flowing big time.

Animal Control got in touch with the land lord who lives in the TO area, they came down to help the kittens. It just so happens that we, my co worker and I went to feed them at lunch, and they were there with the garage open. Extremely kind people, very compassionate. They couldn't find the kittens, I knew they would be in the couch hiding, so my co worker and I started to take out the junk and then she spotted them, so my co worker ran back to the office ot get the carrier.

First was the fiesty black one, good thing I had leather gloves and didn't give up on the fight. Ended up holding him/her down with one hand and grabing the scruff and shoving it in the cage. What a fighter.

So now we had the problem what about the other one, can't open the carrier again, so I ran back to the office to get the humane trap.

Continued to dismantle the couch to find the black and white one, too sick to put up a fight, so it was easy to get into the trap.

Wew, I would foster them but not until they have been in isolation and my current fosters would have to be gone. They are in line to be altered soon.

Please pray that they can be saved.:pray:

Will set the trap for momma to get her spayed, but she may not be adoptable, and she can't be released back into the city, so not sure what to do.

ancientgirl
June 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Thank goodness the owners were nice people. I hope the kittens will come out of this okay. It's sad about momma. She's probably too feral:sad:

14+kitties
June 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Fantastic!!! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!!! You and your coworker rock~!!!

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
The kittens are about 500 grams, 5-6 weeks old so they will be ok without their momma.

No word yet from the vet or Gan humane society.

rainbow
June 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM
WOO HOO for the kittens :thumbs up Good luck with momma. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Vet is releasing them from the hospital with antibiotics, that is a good sign!

I do have an empty bathroom, wonder if DH would consider fostering???

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Fantastic!!! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!!! You and your coworker rock~!!!

She was the lead on this rescue, she just needed some help handling hard to get kittens. She is so wonderful and compassionate.

amaya
June 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yyyeeeaaahhhh!!!!!!!!

chico2
June 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
L4H,that's great news:thumbs uphopefully they'll be ok:fingerscr
Where are they going after the vet releases them?
Maybe the mom is not 100% feral and can be caught,at least I hope so:fingerscr
She'll be missing her kittens,,,,was there only 2 kittens?

kathryn
June 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Good luck with your trappings. I've got to set out 3 traps tomorrow night for the 35$$ clinic on Sunday. Man I am glad I live where I live for this reason... 35 for fixing and the shots.. it's a great deal. Hope I catch the right cats for once. Always ending trapping the wrong ones XD

krdahmer
June 28th, 2008, 12:18 AM
:goodvibes: & :pray: from me and the kitties for the little ones at the vets! And to the momma too and finding a solution!:pawprint:

And you can't do a spay and release there? Thats what we did here with our super feral momma. If she is really wild, maybe someone could find her a farm or area she could be released to?

14+kitties
June 28th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I'm glad kitties are fairly healthy. That is always good to find out. :thumbs up on the great job again. What a team!!

kr - gotta disagree with you on the "area she can be released to" Unless it could be a spot like that lady in California with 700 kitties it wouldn't be safe for the cat. Any wildlife around or resident cats would make short work of her.

:sorry::offtopic: One of my momma ferals I released is now following me around like a puppy whenever I go outside. :cloud9: Two years of trying to catch her and she has finally figured out life aroud the crazy lady ain't that bad!

chico2
June 28th, 2008, 07:13 AM
If by any luck the mom can be caught and spayed,she should IMO be released in an area familiar to her.
Our HS was going to neuter a feral tom I had been feeding twice daily for a couple of years and release him back here again,unfortunately he would not let himself be caught:sad:and one day he just did not return:sad:
Good luck today 14+ and L4H :fingerscrfor mom kittys capture

krdahmer
June 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
14-well I was thinking more a suburban type subdivision where someone might already be feeding some cats... she mentioned they just couldn't release her in the city. :shrug:

Oh and I love love love that lady with the 700 or so.... she is an :angel2: many times over for what she does!
(as are L4H and yourself and many others here too!):thumbs up

14+kitties
June 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
14-well I was thinking more a suburban type subdivision where someone might already be feeding some cats... she mentioned they just couldn't release her in the city. :shrug:

Oh and I love love love that lady with the 700 or so.... she is an :angel2: many times over for what she does!
(as are L4H and yourself and many others here too!):thumbs up

:o Gotcha kr! Sometimes that presents a problem too if it's a closed colony. They won't accept another cat into the fold and it either gets run off or worse. :sad: That poor cat probably belonged to a college student at one time and got left behind when the student left. Hopefully it could be caught and tamed.
That California lady's area works so well because she has such a large area to keep the kitties in. I agree, she is amazing! I only wish!! Hubby told me not to get any ideas though. She has lots of help. Even her own vet!!

Chico - the momma that is following me around has been fixed. :)

Love4himies
June 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
L4H,that's great news:thumbs uphopefully they'll be ok:fingerscr
Where are they going after the vet releases them?
Maybe the mom is not 100% feral and can be caught,at least I hope so:fingerscr
She'll be missing her kittens,,,,was there only 2 kittens?

I think you are right on, chico. I visited the kittens today at the humane society, after 3 eye treatments they are looking so much better.

It is not thought they are as feral as originally believed. They are more like the kittens I am currently fostering, not liking humans and a fear of them.

I visited them today, and they are terrified and shaking, but were able to pick them up.

Think I am going to foster after my current ones leave.

Love4himies
June 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Here are some pictures of them at the shelter. Poor things were just a shivering from fear. They don't realize their life will be so much better now.

Love4himies
June 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Black one in the cage

Love4himies
June 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
OMG I just realized their eyes aren't blue anymore they are older than I thought. 8 weeks maybe but the size of 5 week old ones??

Love4himies
June 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM
:goodvibes: & :pray: from me and the kitties for the little ones at the vets! And to the momma too and finding a solution!:pawprint:

And you can't do a spay and release there? Thats what we did here with our super feral momma. If she is really wild, maybe someone could find her a farm or area she could be released to?

She can't be released back in the city, it is too dangerous.

If she is not as feral as originally thought she may be fostered and put up for adoption. It is going to be hard to trap as we don't live in the area and can't leave the live trap overnight there.

chico2
June 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Aww L4H,look at those little ones,they'll soon realize it's all good.
Especially if they are fostered by you:thumbs up
I hope the poor mother kitty will be caught to:pray:

ancientgirl
June 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
What little angels. Thank goodness you were able to get them, but I really really hope you can get momma too. She also deserves a good home.:fingerscr

I wish I could have them. I saw two tiny little ones at the vet today, one super tiny, like 14+ TT. If I wasn't in the middle of this situation with Czarina, I would have brought them home with me.:sad:

14+kitties
June 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, they have that muddy brown look to them. The same as my guys do. What little cuties! I hope things go well. You are brave wanting to foster so soon while you still have the other ones. Is hubby going for it?

growler~GateKeeper
June 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM
:sorry::offtopic: One of my momma ferals I released is now following me around like a puppy whenever I go outside. :cloud9: Two years of trying to catch her and she has finally figured out life aroud the crazy lady ain't that bad!

Geri - that is so cute :cloud9: I guess she realizes you're the food lady :angel2: too :D

L4H awwwwwwwwwwww look at those cuties :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

I hope you can nab mama cat soon :fingerscr :goodvibes: Has she shown any signs of being even a little friendly? :fingerscr she was skittish cuz of the babies & will let herself get caught :goodvibes:

Love4himies
June 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, they have that muddy brown look to them. The same as my guys do. What little cuties! I hope things go well. You are brave wanting to foster so soon while you still have the other ones. Is hubby going for it?

How old do you think they are with those colour eyes.

Pfft, no, he said not until these ones are gone and even then he said "What you want to do this all over again, I'm moving out", I asked him if he wanted me to pack his bags. I really think for now they are better in iso, just incase they are carriers of something. They will have human contact every day.

Love4himies
June 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Their eyes are looking so good now. I wil be visiting them again tomorrow and bringing them a raw treat.

growler~GateKeeper
June 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Is there someone checking this weekend/holiday to see if mum is around to be nabbed? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
June 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
No, I live out of town and my co worker doesn't have a car, she was going to stop by and leave some food, but there is no way of knowing who is eating the food.

I had suggested that she talk as she is leaving the food just in case momma is around, so she can get used to her voice.

Frenchy
June 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
woohoo the kittens are safe ! Great job L4H :highfive: I do believe they will get good socialization at the HS :thumbs up

14+kitties
June 29th, 2008, 07:37 PM
How old do you think they are with those colour eyes.

Pfft, no, he said not until these ones are gone and even then he said "What you want to do this all over again, I'm moving out", I asked him if he wanted me to pack his bags. I really think for now they are better in iso, just incase they are carriers of something. They will have human contact every day.

My guys are 11 weeks and 12 weeks old. Their eyes have been that colour for the last five weeks now. I thought maybe that was going to be the permanent colour but then once in a while I catch a flash of yellow.

It will be a while before your three fly the coop, won't it? And then it's only two in the new buch. He can handle it. ;)

Love4himies
June 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
My guys are 12 weeks on Monday :eek: How time flies.

They are now on the list to be altered so whenever there is an opening. We may do 2 at a time, as it is hard to have 4 openings, there are always priorities that come up.

Chris: my co-worker looked up on the OSPCA act and it does state that officers can enter buildings that are not attached to a dwelling if an animal is in distress, why wouldn't they help a blind kitten???

14+kitties
June 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM
My guys are 12 weeks on Monday :eek: How time flies.

They are now on the list to be altered so whenever there is an opening. We may do 2 at a time, as it is hard to have 4 openings, there are always priorities that come up.

Chris: my co-worker looked up on the OSPCA act and it does state that officers can enter buildings that are not attached to a dwelling if an animal is in distress, why wouldn't they help a blind kitten???

So they were born the same time as mine. Neat!! Do you get them back until they are adopted? I think last time you had fosters I was just joining the forum toward the end of it. I missed the fun.

What criteria do they use for altering there? It seems every place is different. TO won't do them until they are 6 months.They said before then it's microscopic surgery. The vet I won't go back to is 6 months, my vet is 3 pounds. :shrug:
I hate to say it but it seems to me some places just say they can't do something because they don't want to put the extra effort out to do it. :2cents:

Love4himies
June 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Gan's vet will do it at 3 pounds and all their cats are altered before being put up for adoption.

I will get them back for a week or two to recouperate and then they will be off to Global Pet Foods where they will stay until they are adopted. That is where I buy all my cat food so I get to visit them every day and cry when I leave them. This crew is a lot closer to me than the last as they don't have their momma.

14+kitties
June 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
So.... you are banned from Global Pet Foods until these babies are adopted. :rolleyes:
It's hard to give them up. I have been so tempted to phone Maureen to find out how Whiskey and Chip are settling in but I figured that would be rude. I told her if things didn't work out I wanted them back. I don't want them going anywhere else. The ones tomorrow should be easier. I can talk about them all the time with my kids and go see them when I miss them too much. I don't know what I will do if the others get adopted to people I don't know. I'd be a mess. We can commiserate together. :grouphug:

Love4himies
June 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
So.... you are banned from Global Pet Foods until these babies are adopted. :rolleyes:
It's hard to give them up. I have been so tempted to phone Maureen to find out how Whiskey and Chip are settling in but I figured that would be rude. I told her if things didn't work out I wanted them back. I don't want them going anywhere else. The ones tomorrow should be easier. I can talk about them all the time with my kids and go see them when I miss them too much. I don't know what I will do if the others get adopted to people I don't know. I'd be a mess. We can commiserate together. :grouphug:

I bet the owners wish they could ban me, but I spend so much money there that I get special treatment:D.

Three are getting altered on Wed, the tiny one next week. It will be soon that they will be moving on and I will have the two ferals to love :cloud9:

They don't know how to use a litter box, have you encounted this and if so what did you do to train them?

14+kitties
June 30th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I am sure the owners won't ban you! They probably love you coming in. You would draw people to the kittens.

Are you definetely taking the two new ones!!!! :cloud9: You are such an angel!!!! You make me cry with happiness. You are one very special lady!! Tell your hubby he can put up with them for a while. They move on too soon. :sad:

They don't know how to use a litter box, have you encounted this and if so what did you do to train them?

I guess where they were they were using whatever they could. Hard to imagine the momma not teaching them something about litter. She should have been showing them gravel or sand or some type of dirt.

This is when the dog crates really come in handy! I put the litter box in the crate with them. They will generally use it instead of the rest of the crate. What I usually do is to put them in the box and gently move their feet imitating burying their urine or feces. It doesn't take much time for them to catch on. Are they not using the litter at the shelter?
The kitties get lots of play time but they spend their nights in the crate. They are never in it during the day. I haven't had any not use the litter. :shrug:

Love4himies
June 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
They were in a shed with a cement floor and it was in an old part of the city, so really no place to dig to go to the bathroom. I think they need to see a kitty going to the bathroom in a litter box, but they are in isolation, of course.

Yup, I am getting them as soon as this crew is gone.

I really think the owners of Global would like to ban me from the store when I have kitties up for adoption there, I bawl everytime I have to say good bye to them.:cry: even when there are customers in the store, but everything except my babies is blocked out of my mind.:cloud9:

14+kitties
June 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I am so happy for you!!! You are such a great mommy!!!! :grouphug:

Of course we need more pics or your crew you have now before they go. ;) Haven't seen nearly enough of them!!

Are you putting the newbies in the bedroom or are you going to start them in the bathroom as you mentioned earlier? I would really opt for the bathroom until you have the litter training down pat. Much easier to clean up!
And we don't have to ask for pics of the new ones at all cause you will give us updates regularily, right? :D

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Yes more pictures! Uncle Jasper is going to be thrilled with the steady stream of kittens coming through.

chico2
July 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM
L4H+14+,I can soo understand how difficult it must be to see the kittens go,it's always love at first sight with kittens:sad:
However,sanity has to prevail:laughing:easier said than done,I'm sure:cat:
When we got Vinnie off the street,he was not keen on the litterbox,but I kept putting him in there doing the motions with his paws and eventually he got the idea,he's the only one who did not use it right away.

Oh,and L4H,you have to keep a steady stream of kittens coming in,Jasper would be very unhappy if there were none.
How is Sweet-Pea with new kittens?

Love4himies
July 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Sweet Pea does not like the kittens and will attack if they go in her food pantry :sad: She prefers to be locked up in a bedroom when they run around the house.

rainbow
July 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
Of course we need more pics or your crew you have now before they go. ;) Haven't seen nearly enough of them!!

Yes more pictures! Uncle Jasper is going to be thrilled with the steady stream of kittens coming through.

Yes....I agree :thumbs up

Good luck with the new kitties. :angel: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Chris21711
July 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Haven't been on for a few days L4H, happy to see things are going well. As far as Kingston Humane, they are an affiliate of the spca so no idea why they would not respond. Animal Control does not have agents so who did they expect to do it?

Love4himies
July 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I visit with the kittens on Monday and Tues, but can't now that I am back to work.:sad:

They are terrified to the point they don't stop shivering. The black and white one doesn't seem to mind being patted behind the ears and seemed to be relaxing at one point. They allow me to pick them up without a fight so that makes it easy.

Yesterday their eyes have cleared up to the point I didn't have to clean any mucous when I arrived:thumbs up. They are so good when I put the gel in them.

One went to the bathroom in the litter box, not sure which one. I really think they just need a cat to show them.

Chris21711
July 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
No Momma cat L4H? Can they not find a foster for the kitties, I hate to think of the poor little things shivering. I'm wondering if they have the AC too high at the shelter.

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
I just read the thread for the first time in a while!

:highfive: :thumbs up WooooHooooo! that you were able to get the kitties, L4H!!

They're so cute!

Great job!

Love4himies
July 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
No Momma cat L4H? Can they not find a foster for the kitties, I hate to think of the poor little things shivering. I'm wondering if they have the AC too high at the shelter.

I am going to foster them as soon as my current fosters are gone. Three of them are getting altered today and hopefully the last one next week so it won't be long before they are on their way and these two move in.

It is not too cold for them, I think it is fear. Apparently they don't have a temperature.

There is a momma around but we haven't trapped her yet, our priority was the sick kitten, then the healthy kitten, then the momma.

Lukka'sma
July 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
:highfive:for the improvement of the sick kitten
:thumbs up for the other kitten
:goodvibes: to watch over momma until/if you get her

rainbow
July 2nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: for you

:fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for the kittens & momma

growler~GateKeeper
July 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
:fingerscr you can nab mama cat soon

:goodvibes: for the wee kittens

and :thankyou: to you L4H :grouphug:

Magicwildwolf69
July 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
and more pics they are so cute! i'm sure with lots of human contact they will be great little kitties. its amazing how well they can survive being sick and all. Really glad you caught them. I volunteer to come over and help :)

phoozles
July 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
You're doing a great thing L4H :angel:
Poor little guys - hopefully they'll bounce back soon :goodvibes:

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
How are your little ones doing after their neuturing yesterday L4H? I hope everything went well. :fingerscr :goodvibes: for quick recovery for the little angels.

Soter
July 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
i really hope you do catch them. on boxing day one year a feral tabby came round to our house very skinny. She wouldn't come inside, so we gave her a box and a mini bean-bag bed and put it inside the shed. The shed had an open window, she she could get out whenever she wanted. She stayed with us for ages, but then ran off for about a month, then came back with four of the cutest kittens EVER! We kept her and the kittens for about two weeks but she had to give all of them away cos' the whole family were going away for a week and no neighbours to look after her.

Then about two years later yet another cat appeared out of nowhere with three kittens. She was ferel, very afraid of us but we found kitten way outsde the hole in the grassy bank where they lived and we put it back. She didn't mind us touching them, she just sat there watching. wonder if she was once owned by someone. probably was, because everybody about my area owns or has a cat living in their garden. most of the ppl living around me are farmers, thats why. We couldn't stay with the kitens for a long time cos we had to move

Love4himies
October 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I took my Malcolm and Matilda to Global to be put up for adoption on Saturday, it was just heartbreaking. I put the little brown house in their cage so they could hide until they are more comfortable with their surroundings.

I visited them today on my lunch and they are doing OK. They stayed in hiding but came out for me. I had to pull Malcolm out of the cage to give him cuddles, then he went back into his "house". Matilda was more comfortable and was on a stand inside the cage playing with a tiny kitten from Kingston Humane Society (they DO NOT alter their kittens before being put up for adoption :yell: :mad:)

Took them some strip loin steak, they devoured it.

I did take some pics of their last day at home but forgot my camera at home :o

I will continue to visit them daily until they are adopted.

krdahmer
October 6th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Aw :grouphug: you did such a great job again with them! :thumbs up I hope they find amazing forever homes! :goodvibes: I always visit my fosters that go to petsmart too, I always get so sad seeing them in a cage. But so happy when I hear about their new homes! Can't wait to see the pics! (get on that when you get home now! ;) )

chico2
October 6th, 2008, 04:01 PM
L4H,OMG that must be sooo difficult,I just cannot imagine:sad:
They had it so good at your house and now they are in a cage...but I bet that steak tasted good:cat:
I am just :fingerscrhoping they'll go together:fingerscr
You are such a dedicated fostermom and I bet they learned a lot from you,learned to trust humans and how to be kittens:cat:

14+kitties
October 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
:grouphug: to you. It is so hard to say goodbye. I don't know how you do it all the time. It would break my heart. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Oy! :grouphug: I couldn't do what you do, L4H! :grouphug: You're an :angel:! And you did such a good job with them! :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for M & M! I hope the perfect forever family finds them soon!

growler~GateKeeper
October 7th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I hope someone adopts M & M together :fingerscr and soon :goodvibes:

Must be so not to take them back home with you :grouphug:

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I forgot my camera again this morning :o :frustrated:.

All the other fosters accustomed to Global within a day, but these guys haven't. Global allows the kitties run free during the day when they aren't expecting deliveries so they can poop themselves out. They can't do the with M & M yet, they are just too scared :sad:.

I have some raw chicken for them today.

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I hope someone adopts M & M together :fingerscr and soon :goodvibes:

Must be so not to take them back home with you :grouphug:

I have asked they be adopted together, they are so dependent on each other for comfort.

Chris21711
October 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
You're a brick L4H, caring the way you do about your fosters, I know you are really saddened when their time comes to leave but you give them such a good start in life :angel:

Ethel asked me this morning if I would consider fostering kittens, I have never fostered kittens for any length of time only puppies and adult cats, so I'm thinking on it, once I decide then I have to try and deal with :crazy: who I know will give an emphatic NO. Sorry this is :offtopic: but it is on my mind. The shelter is still inundated with kittens :sad:

Love4himies
October 7th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Kittens who spend their first days in shelters will learn kitty social skills, but not human ones, such as hand/feet attacking, using cat stands for scratching posts etc. so it is so important that they get out into foster homes. Also, their under developed immune systems are so delicate, that viruses that are not deadly to adult cats can be for kittens, plus the overworked staff can't offer the supportive care that is needed for a sick kitten.

DH DOES NOT want to foster again, I thought he was going to cry when he had to say goodbye to M & M. His other fav was Brownie from Sweet Pea's litter last year. I tell him, I don't do it for myself, but the kittens, who through no fault of their own, are in this situation.

chico2
October 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
L4H,I would love to do what you are doing,but I just cannot,Rocky would go ballistic and hubby too probably:laughing:afraid we would end up with 12 cats:laughing:
I don't blamy your husband for nearly crying,M&M had a rough start in life,too bad they could not be adopted out from your house.

14+kitties
October 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
How long do you think it will take for your hubby to change his mind? :rolleyes:
Mine huffs and puffs when the new kittens come in but really, he seems to not mind carrying them around occasionally. Mittens has become his "snoring buddy" in the early hours of the morning when he gets up. If I come downstairs early I find him and Mittens in the chair both sawing logs. :cloud9:

I am saying extra prayers for Malcolm and Matilda to be adopted together. :pray::goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 8th, 2008, 07:40 AM
How long do you think it will take for your hubby to change his mind? :rolleyes:
Mine huffs and puffs when the new kittens come in but really, he seems to not mind carrying them around occasionally. Mittens has become his "snoring buddy" in the early hours of the morning when he gets up. If I come downstairs early I find him and Mittens in the chair both sawing logs. :cloud9:

I am saying extra prayers for Malcolm and Matilda to be adopted together. :pray::goodvibes:

Thanks guys, these two little ones are so difficult because they are not "happy go lucky" kittens, they are cautious and scared of everything new. It takes them so long to adjust :sad:. Normally within 24 hours of arriving at Global, the kittens are allowed to run free, but it has been 4 days and they are still hiding in their little bedroom :sad:.

Chico, with Rocky it would be impossible for you to foster. Your cats have to come first.

ancientgirl
October 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
They've had such a rough start in their short little lives. I imagine now with the change in location and so many strangers coming to look at them, they must be so afraid. I hope someone gives them a chance like you did.:pray:

14+kitties
October 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
It is a tough thing. What happens if they aren't adopted within a certain time? Do they go to the shelter or to another store? It must be heartbreaking for you to go in and see them like this.

Love4himies
October 8th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Malcolm and Matilda had the courage to venture out of their cages today :D. Malcolm is afraid and hides when he sees somebody, but Matilda is having a blast playing with the other kittens in the store :thumbs up

Love4himies
October 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
It is a tough thing. What happens if they aren't adopted within a certain time? Do they go to the shelter or to another store? It must be heartbreaking for you to go in and see them like this.

I only foster on condition that they go to this Global for adoption because they allow the kittens "free" time during the day.

The males from my first litter went to another store that doesn't allow the animals to run free took 3 months for one to be adopted :sad:. It was heartbreaking.

chico2
October 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
That's good to hear L4H,it's strange that Matilda took the plunge first,usually males are more laid back.
I hope someone who understands cats and why sometimes they are the way they are,will adopt these 2:pray:
You don't really know there history,right? Or where the mom was?
Vinnie too was found that way,but he was a luv-bug right from the start:lovestruck:
:pray:for M&M and their wonderful foster-mom..

Love4himies
October 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
That's good to hear L4H,it's strange that Matilda took the plunge first,usually males are more laid back.
I hope someone who understands cats and why sometimes they are the way they are,will adopt these 2:pray:
You don't really know there history,right? Or where the mom was?
Vinnie too was found that way,but he was a luv-bug right from the start:lovestruck:
:pray:for M&M and their wonderful foster-mom..

Their mom is a stray who had these kittens in an old shed, Malcolm's eye was so infected, that they were fused shut from the pus, so he was estentially blind until his momma would lick them open. :sad:

chico2
October 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Aww poor Malcolm,but he's ok now:fingerscr

14+kitties
October 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Malcolm has had such a rough start. It's no wonder he doesn't seem anxious to come out and play. :sad: Poor sweetie. I just want to cuddle him.

Love4himies
October 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Went into Global only to discover they were adopted out this weekend. Not together :sad:.

Malcolm went home with a senior lady who was looking for companionship, Malcolm will be PERFECT for her. He is a calm kitty who screams for attention from humans and wants to be a lap cat. I mean he literally screams (meows actually) until you pick him up.

Matilda went to a home with 3 cats and 2 dogs :thumbs up. Perfect for her because she was always one to prefer attention from Jasper and Sweet Pea than us. She came to be best friends with the store owner's year old black lab :p so she will do well with dogs and other cats.

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
L4H, I'm sad to see they didn't get adopted together, but I'm very happy to know they both found loving homes. Malcom will be very spoiled and Matilda will be in her element. I think that's fantastic!

14+kitties
October 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
So now I am crying again. I was hoping they could be adopted together but they got adopted! That's the main thing. Let's hope the senior lady has a foolproof plan for Malcolm in case of her untimely demise. The poor little gaffer has had enough issues in his short lifetime.
That is great news. :grouphug: for you for doing what you do for these kitties! You get them all off to such a great start. :highfive: And more :grouphug: for the mixed relieve and sadness I know you are feeling.

Love4himies
October 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
So now I am crying again. I was hoping they could be adopted together but they got adopted! That's the main thing. Let's hope the senior lady has a foolproof plan for Malcolm in case of her untimely demise. The poor little gaffer has had enough issues in his short lifetime.
That is great news. :grouphug: for you for doing what you do for these kitties! You get them all off to such a great start. :highfive: And more :grouphug: for the mixed relieve and sadness I know you are feeling.

I was concerned about this senior too as Malcolm will probably outlive her, but her daughter helped her pick out Malcolm (fell in love with him :lovestruck:) and supports her mom's decision to get this kitty. Wonder why they don't get a senior kitty?

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe her mom lives with her. Either way I get the feeling the daughter, seeing as she helped mom pick out Malcolm and supported her, she'll be willing to take the little guy if something happens to her mom.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Even though they weren't adopted out together, it does sound like they both found perfect homes! :goodvibes: Good luck to both of them!

And :grouphug:s for you L4H! You did a great job with these little ones! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2008, 12:27 AM
Good news for both Malcolm & Matilda :thumbs up too bad not together but I'm so happy they were adopted fairly close together so one was not sitting in the cage missing the other :)

rainbow
October 21st, 2008, 12:48 AM
YAY for Malcolm and Matilda. :highfive:

And, as Growler said, even though they didn't go to the same home at least they weren't apart for long. :goodvibes:

Chris21711
October 21st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Good news L4H, like everyone said shame it wasn't together, but it sure beats living on the street. Kudos to you for all you did for them and giving them a good start in life :thumbs up I was just thinking about them last night.