Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bratty Cat

linnie145
June 26th, 2008, 06:15 AM
So I just moved home from college about 6 months ago (I graduated in december) and with me came a very sweet, loving cuddly cat. She just turned a year old in April! My family although not too happy welcomed her into our family. Even our 10 year old lab! Everything was going wonderfully until a few weeks ago when the cat started urinating on the dog's bed. I have tried everything to wash it out and I get it clean every time it happens but I can't figure out why it's happening and what I can do to make it so the cat doesn't want to do that. At first I thought it was because her litter box was dirty so I bought a self cleaning box and that fixed it for about two weeks and now it has started again so I know its not the litter box. I have thrown out two dog beds and bought new ones and that still didn't help... any ideas? Thanks!

clm
June 26th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I'm not sure how the self cleaning litter box works. Has the litter been completely changed out? If so how often? Since it stopped for 2 weeks once you changed to the new litter box, it sounds like it might be related to that. Where does the used litter go with the self cleaning box?

Cindy

Love4himies
June 26th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I was thinking the same as CLM, if the behaviour stopped for a bit when the litter was changed, then I would think it was dirty litter.

With some cats they don't like to poo and pee in the same litter box so two litter boxes are a must with these kitties.

I wouldn't rule out a health issue, either, so I would recommend taking your cat in to be checked for a bladder or kidney infection.

sugarcatmom
June 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Ditto what they said ^^. You might find this link helpful: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Top reasons for a cat to stop using the litter box:

Dirty litter box(es)

Poor choice of litter type (using pellets/crystals/non-clumping litter)

Poor location of litter box(es)

Blocked from the box by a dominant feline housemate

Box size is too small

Too few boxes

Medical problem(s) This should always be a serious consideration. Many medical issues such as diabetes, cystitis and bladder stones can be avoided by feeding canned food not dry food. The increased water content and the decreased carbohydrate content of canned food are healthier for your cat than dry. (Please see my Feeding Your Cat (http://www.catinfo.org/) and Feline Diabetes and Carbohydrates (http://www.catinfo.org/felinediabetes.htm) articles on this site).

Do:

Scoop the litter box twice daily - at a minimum.

Use clumping litter - except for kittens younger than 8 weeks of age.

Use unscented litter.

Keep the litter deep enough.

Use large litter boxes.

Have enough litter boxes available.

Have litter boxes placed in a quiet area.

Use a litter mat that is comfortable for your cat to walk on.

Seek veterinary attention if your cat stops using the litter box.

Do NOT:

Use litters that do not clump - except for kittens younger than 8 weeks of age.

Use pelleted (pine or newspaper) or crystal/white pearl litters.

Use scented litters or any deodorizers.

Use hooded litter boxes if your intent is to prevent odors from reaching your nose.

Use plastic 'grass' mats.

Punish your cat for not using the litter box.

Put a child in charge of litter box maintenance.

Also, I'm so not a fan of "self-cleaning" litter boxes. A cat's excrement is such an important clue to its overall health that I think it's crucial to be able to keep track of it and not have it whisked off out of sight.

Jim Hall
June 26th, 2008, 08:38 AM
an immaculantly clean litter box every week or 2 weeks empty it completly and scrub it down with a mild detergent i use unscented dihwashing liquid If you want a cat to use a box you have to keep it claen and oder free. even if you cant smell it, believe me, the kitty can ,

thekatzmeow
June 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Above are listed do's and dont's for litter boxes. Among the "donts" it says not to use pine for litter. I use "Feline Pine" and love it!! Does anyone know why it is not recommended?? My cat loves it and transitioned over to it without any problem. My new kitten also acclimated to it right away. It virtually eliminates any smell. It pretty much does away with any tracking of the litter. It is economical and you don't have to dump the litter box every two weeks. And -- above all of that -- it is good for the environment!! Anyone else using it?? :cat:

linnie145
June 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Thank you all so much for your ideas, I've been changing the litter in the box every other day just to put new stuff in because I think its kind of gross they say to only change it once a month but I am going to try all those suggestions!

sugarcatmom
June 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Above are listed do's and dont's for litter boxes. Among the "donts" it says not to use pine for litter. I use "Feline Pine" and love it!! Does anyone know why it is not recommended??

I use pine pellets mixed with newspaper pellets and my cat loves it, won't use any other kind. I think it depends on the cat. For many, either the smell of the pine can be too strong, or if you're using pellets, the texture is too coarse for some kitties.

thekatzmeow
June 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I get it, SCM, thanks!! I praise the Lord for that pine stuff and think the other junk is just that -- junk!

Joeyjoejoe
June 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Above are listed do's and dont's for litter boxes. Among the "donts" it says not to use pine for litter. I use "Feline Pine" and love it!! Does anyone know why it is not recommended?? My cat loves it and transitioned over to it without any problem. My new kitten also acclimated to it right away. It virtually eliminates any smell. It pretty much does away with any tracking of the litter. It is economical and you don't have to dump the litter box every two weeks. And -- above all of that -- it is good for the environment!! Anyone else using it?? :cat:

I do... kinda... I bought it on the recommendation of others, but it doesn't cover the smell of poo. So you have to scoop right away. Not good when you live in a 1 bedroom condo...

My kittens agree. Now, they will only pee in the pine, but will do both in the regular litter. I will admit, for pee, it does work very well.