Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

NewTrix Easyway Collar

Stacer
June 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I bought the NewTrix this evening after having looked at it several times in the store. What is the general opinion around here of those that have used it?

I really want to find a halter that is safe and comfortable for Skylar. Right now we're using the Gentle Leader and it's working for the most part, she likes it and will bring it to us to go for a walk, but when she lunges or gets excited about another dog it definitely wrenches her head sideways and it always freaks me out. It also leaves an indent in her snout because she still pulls while wearing it (although it's nothing compared to when she's just on her flat collar :eek:)

So I'm hoping that the newTrix will be gentler on her poor neck and snout when she unexpectedly lunges.

After reading some posts regarding various halters and harnesses it seems that I'm not the only one with various amounts of them accumulating in drawers and closets.

She also starts her first group class this weekend, would it be better for her to use the GL or the NewTrix for training?

angeldogs
June 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I have a newtrix head collar i don't use it anymore on Jag but i do like it.it was a great tool for me to help with when jag was pulling all the time.I don't like the GL myself.i would take both with you if the newtrix isn't working for training then you just switch.and use the newtrix for walking.

rainbow
June 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I use the Newtrix for our 95 lb. lab and like it much better than the Gentle Leader. :thumbs up I also used it for our 60 lb. siberian husky and can now walk him with just his regular collar. :thumbs up

angeldogs
June 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I use the Newtrix for our 95 lb. lab and like it much better than the Gentle Leader. :thumbs up I also used it for our 60 lb. siberian husky and can now walk him with just his regular collar. :thumbs up

The newtrix is awsome.one of the reasons i don't use it is i take jag over to the park and let him run with the retractable leash and the was he runs to the end of the leash i don't want a bad neck injury so i use a harness.

Helene4
June 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I've been using the Newtrix collar for more than a year. It's made a big difference. I used to have a sore arm after our walks because my dog Arielle (50 pounds) would pull so much.

When my husband isn't home, I walk with both our dogs, Mickey and Arielle, and it seems she always pulled a lot more than when my husband walked with her! Newtrix really helped. Of course she will try a couple of times during our walks to take it off, especially at the beginning of our walks and if she sees another dog or whatever, she will pull to get closer.

I don't regret buying it. In my opinion, it is worth every cent. My arm doesn't get sore anymore!:thumbs up

Kashi
June 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Right now we're using the Gentle Leader and it's working for the most part, she likes it and will bring it to us to go for a walk, but when she lunges or gets excited about another dog it definitely wrenches her head sideways and it always freaks me out. It also leaves an indent in her snout because she still pulls while wearing it

How does this work ?

We've got a "Gentle Leader" for Pugsley, and it doesn't touch his face at all, nor move his neck. It fits similar to a regular harness, but has the leash loop at the chest instead of on the back.

It sounds like you're describing a Halti maybe ?

Etown_Chick
June 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I too used to have a sore arm/back after walking Scruffy, so I got him something called a Lupi halter.
It's so simple, kind of a black rope thing, one loop fits under each leg, they meet up in the back and there is an attachment for the leash. Just tighten it snugly and off we go.
If he pulls, he pulls his front legs up. He doesn't like that so he doesn't pull. It's very gentle and puts no strain on his neck or back.
Now Scruff is a smaller dog (30 lbs) and I"m not sure it would work on a husky or some such solid dog but it works great for us.
Cheap too, only about $15.

Stacer
June 25th, 2008, 08:18 PM
The Gentle Leader is a head collar, perhaps they make more than one type of product, but I've only ever seen the head collar.

http://www.gentleleadercanada.com/products.htm

Glad to see no negative reviews of the NewTrix.

Kashi
June 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The Gentle Leader is a head collar, perhaps they make more than one type of product, but I've only ever seen the head collar.

http://www.gentleleadercanada.com/products.htm

Glad to see no negative reviews of the NewTrix.

THIS (http://www.petacular.com/products/Easy-Walk-Harness.html) is what I'm thinking of when I read "Gentle Leader" - it's called the Gentle Leader Easy Walk harness. It's not a head collar.