Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recommend an affordable vet for anal gland removal in GTA?

MDT
June 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Anal gland infection is a recurring problem with my dog. He has undergone a couple rounds of Clavamox but the effects are only temporary.
I'm a student and can't afford the never ending visits to the vet, the tests and medication that doesn't seem to be curing the infection.

Does anyone know how much anal gland surgery typically cost?
I really like the vet I have now, are they all capable of removing the anal gland or should I take him to a surgeon who might be more experienced with the knife?

Winston
June 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
This location is not really close to GTA but they are far the cheapest around here for surgery's...Queensway Vet Hospital in Simcoe. They are typically have the price for example on a spay & neuter..

Cindy

MDT
June 24th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Wow what a relief to know it's in the price range of spay & neuter, here I was expecting $500-$800.

Winston
June 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Oh Im sorry I didnt mean it only cost that much..What I meant was that a neuter for example is 75.00 in Simcoe vs 150.00 locally? so they are generally about 1/2 the price compared to other rates...

Sorry if I confused you..honestly I was thinking between 300-600?? as a guess?

Good luck

Cindy\

badger
June 24th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I know it means more money, but have you thought about getting a second opinion? Maybe another drug would work better?
Have you 'fiddled' with his food at all?

MDT
June 25th, 2008, 02:34 AM
His anal gland has been a persistent problem for years now, just never got infected until recently. He's been on Natural Choice all his life (7 years) and his stool is firm enough. Changing his diet sounds like a good idea, any recommendation?