Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this normal?

WingNut
July 6th, 2004, 10:49 PM
My cat went into labour at 4:00pm, she didn't have her first kitten until 9:00pm after a few hours of waiting we thought she was done she feed her kitten and she showed no sings of any more contractions. She was still quite big but i thought it was weight she gained during her pregnancy. The next day came and I thought she was finished having kittens and blessed us with one but at around 2:00 pm in the afternoon of the next day she started having another kitten. This kitten came backwards. Not to mention 18 hours from the time her water broke and 16 hours since she had her first kitten. So nowI thought she was done but at 5:00pm she surprised me again haveing her third kitten thats 25 hours since her water broke. This kitten was also backwards. Now my cat is really tired out and I'm not to sure how she is, she feeds her kittens but she just really tired and I would like to know if this is normal or what and if this long periods between kittens being born is health for my cat?
Any imput will be welcomed.

glasslass
July 6th, 2004, 11:15 PM
You owe it to your cat to find out for sure. I realize it's after hours now, but you could call the emergency vet and possibly explain on the phone what is happening and they can advise you what you should be doing. I have never been around a cat giving birth and for sure I would have to call my vet. If it's ok, no harm done.

buriedinfur
July 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Cats are one of the bizzare creatures that can have half a litter, completely stop labour and then go into labour 24 hours later and have the rest. It becomes more of a concern if the mother is still in active labour and is exausted and pushing but no new kittens are forthcoming.
Interestingly enough because they can also (as they are induced ovulators - that is they ovulate when they have intercourse) get pregnant, wait 24 hours and then get pregnant with a few more.
And there is your cat sex-ed course for this morning :rolleyes:

WingNut
July 8th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Well here second kitten was born backwards and wasn't breathing when it came out. So i did some CPR and got it going but the next day its heart was beating fine and then it started having trouble breathing so i kept trying to get it warm again and trying to regulate its breathing. After about an hour and no improvement i decide to let the kitten spend its last few minutes on earth with its mother so after about 15 minutes blood started comming out of its nose and soon after it passed away. Would this have anything to do with the fact that he was born after such a long time after the water broke and the mother had a slight fever?