Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Coat?

mollywog
June 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Even though the hubby thinks it's silly, I am in the market to buy Molly a winter coat. I won't need it until the fall but I am starting to shop around. She has very short hair, virtually none on her belly/ underarms, and very little body fat, so I know she will get cold up here in the winter!
I found these coats online- True Fit Turnout Coats (http://www.truefitdogcoats.com/product.php?productid=2&cat=0&page=1&featured) and like the look of them- just like horse blankets. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

jessi76
June 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
it's not silly. Some dogs absolutely need to wear a coat if they're going to be out in cold weather for any prolonged length of time. My own dog needs a coat too - bald underbelly. Look for a coat that covers the chest area, as that's where they tend to lose most of their body heat. I personally like the Ruff Wear k-9 overcoats. good quality coats. here's a pic of my dog in his (photo is 2 yrs old) ...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/jesss456/2089.jpg

I paid aprox. $30 for it. It's fleece lined, and has reflective stripes for safety.

angeldogs
June 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Not silly at all.i have a coat for jag that is fleece lined and water proof.and the chest and stomach area is like wetsuit material.i'm not home to post a pic of it.i found with jag having the short fine hair he got cold quicker in the winter

Purpledomino
June 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
This is a good website for dog clothing that I have used. The Weatherbeeta dog coats are nice, and very reasonably priced here. It is a southern US company, and shipping is very reasonable (USPS by weight to Canada) usually cheaper than dealing with Canadian shipping charges...go figure. Excellent customer service too, I buy from them all the time. You might think of layering as well...when it gets really cold, I will put a sweater, then a coat on them as well. With my Minpins and living in a northern climate, doggy clothing isn't so much fashion as it is necessity. You are not silly at all! :thumbs up
www.jefferspet.com

mollywog
June 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
thanks everyone for reassuring that I am not as crazy as my husband thinks I am :crazy: he seems to think that she will be "embarrassed" in a coat. Hey, I would rather she be embarrassed than frostbitten!!! :rolleyes:
Purpledomino- thanks for the link. That site looks great for everything, not just dog coats! good prices too.
Jessi- very handsome coat (and boy!), but I'm not sure if it's up for the -40 winters we have up here :eek:
angeldogs- I would love to see a picture of that coat, do they wear it swimming?