Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sam's Seizure

Folkwitch
June 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Removed for no reason other than I removed it.

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
When was the last time Sam was checked by the vet? When were his meds adjusted? Obviously that is what needs to happen. Have you found the trigger besides being startled? Is it food related? Stress related?
Last question - why did you take pictures of it? As someone whose dog has suffered from seizures for the last 13 years I am confused? Was it for the vet to see? You said documentation but for who? Poor sweetie. :sad: Vets have seen seizures enough to know what they look like?

Folkwitch
June 23rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
When was the last time Sam was checked by the vet? When were his meds adjusted? Obviously that is what needs to happen. Have you found the trigger besides being startled? Is it food related? Stress related?
Last question - why did you take pictures of it? As someone whose dog has suffered from seizures for the last 13 years I am confused? Was it for the vet to see? You said documentation but for who? Poor sweetie. :sad: Vets have seen seizures enough to know what they look like?

I haven't been a member long, but I appreciate and understand your concern. Sam is checked every few months. He is not on meds because after being on them for several years (phenobarbitol and potassium bromide with careful monitoring for frequency, duration and severity) the vet said they weren't doing him any good and could, in the long run, cause harm. His seizures are infrequent and the risk of liver damage with no benefit was weighed carefully.

We've ruled out food as a cause although we are careful when it comes to what he eats. It may be stress related, he's high-strung, and so we monitor his excitement. It could also be barometric pressure related - we have quite a few jumps in pressure here because of the mountains, and we track throughout the winter to see if there's any correlation. So far, the jury's out. Over the last few years his episodes have decreased but if we do see an increase, we will review the situation again.

I took the pictures because I had the camera right beside me when he started to go into it again, he was in a safe location, and I knew I had time to snap a few very quickly. The blurriness is me, not him. The vet obviously doesn't need them. I thought that maybe the pics could show new parents what a seizure may look like. I'm often misguided but have good intentions. If the pics are disturbing I'd be happy to remove the post.

badger
June 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Oh those are lovely pictures compared to some we've seen, although I'm glad to know it was you shaking and not Iggy. Poor fellow, I guess there's only so many of those triggers you can control.

TeriM
June 24th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I don't have any advice but wanted to send some hugs your way.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

rainbow
June 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I am sorry to hear about Sam. :sad: :grouphug:

Are you only feeding him chicken and rice with nothing else added? :confused: