Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Bug Bite???

Winston
June 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Help! What do you put on a bug bite? At least I think it is...I was out for about 1/2 hour doing some gardening and Winston joined me to play with his CUZ..I just came in and turned around and his eye is all swollen...it doesnt look like it is scraped or anything so I am assuming it is a bug of some kind? He is panting a little bit still and it is getting biggar..heres a pic what do you think?

CIndy

erykah1310
June 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'd call your vet and ask them if Benadryl would be alright for this... It doesnt overly look like its an allergic reaction, but does indeed look like a bug bite ( just dealt with that this weekend with one of my guys)
The swelling may go down on its own, but keep an eye on it for sure.
Try a cold compress... thats what I did for Karmas face (after she was given the "dryl")

Winston
June 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah I just gave him a bendryl...I had to give it to him once before when he had a bite on his ear! so I know he can take it...I will try the cold compress but it does not appear to be bothering him...he is not scratching it likes its itchy or anything yet...I just dont know what the heck bit him? maybe a bee?

It just looks nasty!

Cindy

erykah1310
June 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Here horsefly bites seem to send my dogs off into little swelling fits like that one (not nearly as bad as what Karma had this weekend though) If you have horseflies, I would bet my money it was that

Winston
June 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Ive never seen a horsefly around here but I heard they were bad in some parts of Ontario?? I have noticed a few of the big bumble bees?

SolaMio
June 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
WOW... So strange, I was about to post the same thing about Sola! DH and I were also outside about an hour ago, and the blackflies were really bad. We noticed the swelling on one of her eyes when we came inside. I don't have any Benedryl, so we'll see how it looks in the morning. I'm a worrywart, but DH didn't look too worried about it.

Can you give human benedryl to dogs? Sorry I'm not sure...

Let us know how it turns out, Winston :goodvibes:

Winston
June 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I gave Winston the human Benadryl. I only did that because I think he will be fine as he has taken it before...and I wanted to try to stop an adverse reactions before they happen..we dont have blackflies so I dont know...

Cindy

BusterBoo
June 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, you can give human benadryl to dogs. Buster weighs about 16 pounds and he gets 1/2 of a pill when he has really bad itches (allergies or bad bug bites). However....some people say benadryl will make your dog more calm and relaxed but when Buster had his hot spot a couple of weeks ago, and I gave him a full pill, he was WIRED!!!!

Check with your Vet for the appropriate dosage...not sure of Winston's size?? :shrug:

Good luck!

Winston
June 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
109.6 lbs...:thumbs up

erykah1310
June 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
More than half a pill :thumbs up

BusterBoo
June 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
ok.....maybe half a pill won't help much :laughing:

not sure on the "human" dosage.....1 pill (25 mg) was too much for Buster! :D

Chris21711
June 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hows Winstons eye today Cindy? Has it gone down?

Winston
June 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
No actually it looked the same this morning...I didnt want to give him another benadryl cause he does not seem bothered by it at all....it was a bit reddish this morning...I will see how it is when I get home from work...

Cindy

clm
June 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Poor boy, could even be a mosquito bite. A lot of animals including humans react differently depending on where on their bodies they are bit. I'm glad it's not bothering him anyway.

Cindy

Winston
June 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks all...tonight it looks much better..it is still swolen compared to the other eyelid but much better. He has not bothered with it? I think he will recover just fine! :thumbs up

Cindy