Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rub A Dub Dub

ROD
June 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
It's been a while since I replied to anyones questions or asked on myself.

However, after giving my 15 month old standard poodle a bath yesterday, outside, i thought I'd ask something.

After trying a variety of shampoos from color/non color oriented ones, scented ones (which don't necessarily bother me), etc.....

The questions being, which ones has anyone found to generally work well?

What makes those used in pet grooming places better or worse than those bought off the shelf?

Are there shampoos that are breed oriented?

Also, its my understanding that, depending on the breed anyways, its not good to wash a dog to ofter either. Since i only got "Chester" about 1 year ago this week, I've given him a real full bath every 3 to 4 weeks depending on how dirty I thought he was or when we thought he smelled due for a bath. occasionally he just got a hosing off after going to the dog run that would also help cool him off, but usually reinvigorates him and defeated the point of the dog run in the first place.

In the winter, less of course.

Chester is a Standard Poodle, black, approximately 85 pounds and I've been told he's big for his breed. He doesn't seem overweight to me and I try and take him to the dog run regularly for at least half an hour to an hour depending on how hot it is out and time of day.

any input would be appreciated.....:thumbs up

breeze
June 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
hi rod..

I found that what ever works for the dog thats what you go with.. and you rince very very well..

I myself use oatmeal shampoo on my bernese and found that it was not working for her, her coat was dull and she would end up getting a bit more flakes than what I liked..
I then switched to a extra moisturizing shampoo.. her coat is very shiny and no flakes..
I wash bree every 4-5 weeks but if I noticed any skin irration or extra scartching I would defiantly not wash her as often.
IMO there is no difference in the grooming shampoo they use and the ones you buy on the shelf except that they get it in bulk..:shrug: I could be wrong..as long as you use a dog shampoo and not one for humans,
as far a breed specific shampoos I have no idea..
hope this helps..

ROD
June 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I appreciate the imput.

If anything, I over rinse. However, since you mentioned scratching, thats usually an indication to me that he needs a bath. If I think about it, he scratches more when he's dirty than for the first couple of weeks after I wash him.

I never notice any flakes or dandruff, and his hair/fur was never overly shinny or dull, but he had that clean look after a bath. If anything, he really frizzes after a bath:crazy:

Ford Girl
June 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Rod! I have a golden, and we dont ever bathe her, well I guess we do, maybe 4 baths a year, not very often, she's always dirty, so it's a lot of work for very little clean time. She socializes too often with other dogs that I gave uop long ago keeping her clean, plus mud and camping. We do use doggie wipes daily and clean her ears and do general grooming regularly. But actual baths, not often. She swims in lakes alot too, so I dont really worry about it.

You are right, don't bathe too often, and I agree with Breeze, use what works on your dog. I use a dog salon type shampoo and a seperate conditioner, only cuz Dazy has longer hair and tends to matt if you're not careful. So I use a heavier type, for long haired dogs...my sister uses a formula for huskys, its makes the whites whiter...or rather, it says it does.

Never use products made for humans, and rinse rinse rinse!! They say when you think you are done rinsing, rinse for another minute. :thumbs up