Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Warning to owners searching: The scam that broke my heart a little more

bcalamity
June 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
I've been looking for my cat Mishka since June 18th 2008. I'm sure as many of you have experienced, the search has been exhausting and I have done much of it alone. I have searched the neighbourhood for hours, put up posters, called shelters, put up internet ads on every site I could find... etc...

I got an email yesterday from a lady named Jennifer Wilson saying she had found my cat along a shopping mall.

It gave me so much hope. I wanted to believe so badly that it was Mishka she had found... but at the same time I didn't want to get my hopes up too high. I wanted to believe she was still alive... still well... being taken care of by someone.

I still doubted it because Mishka is very skiddish and would never let any strangers near her... let alone let them catch her. But still I hoped that she had gone up to someone out of hunger and desperation.

This is the email she/he/whoever it may have been sent yesterday:

Hello,
I found your pet along a shopping mall and I have been looking for the owner eversince,but all abortive,till i saw your ad,if you are the true owner send me the pics of the pet and the location it was lost so i can know you are the owner before I return it.

Thanks
Jennifer.

I replied with pictures and a location and thanked her for sending me the email.

Today I got this email:

Hi,
Its your pet I saw and really an adorable one,well your pet is with me here in West Africa for our missionary assignment,I took the pet down to Africa when I did not find the owner on time.

The shipping and handling will cost just $300 for the pet.and I have already spoken to the shipping desk concerning the shipment.I am going to ship the pet to you via Express pets delivery and the pet is Ready To Shipped in 24hrs Airport-to-Airport delivery.

Thanks and l hope to hear from you very soon.

Your most sincerely,
Jennifer

It just... seemed so cruel.
All that hope... for nothing.

I wanted to give a heads up to all the other hopeful owners looking for their cats. Watch out for these scams. They only set your heart to be broken even more.

badger
June 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Very sad, these people troll the internet for situations they can twist to their advantage.
Put it behind you, keep looking, stay optimistic!

apeallen
June 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
She won't be doing this for much longer. I'll leave it at that.:loser:

Now about your cat...I don't know if it was an indoor cat that escaped etc. but you should go scatter OLD litter from his box around your yard, surrounding area. I know it sounds gross but it's a good trick to use. This way he will smell his scent in case he is nearby but not able to quite make it back.

Keep getting the word out about Jennifer Wilson. Petfinder took down all of my warnings. I have posted on Craigslist on as many cities as possible (they stopped me after a while for being repetitive.

Don't give up hope...and scatter that OLD litter!

bcalamity
June 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hey guys

I'm trying not to give up hope... I'm going to try the litter box thing. I really really hope it will work.

I'm so exhausted. I have to go to a job interview but I haven't slept properly for a week... I hope I can handle this.

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v285/177/62/1658910454/n1658910454_306284_8509.jpg

She was an indoor cat. That's a picture of her as an itsy kitten :(

Carlyg
June 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
hi Bcalamity

Your thread makes me so, unbelievably sad, I wanted to cry.

I lost my dog a little over a year ago, and I also got scammed. It was much the same thing...I got an email saying my 'pet' had been found and then they asked for a photo. Then..they even sent ME a photo which was b lurry but I think I was just hoping so hard that it did infact begin look like my dog. Even after he said he took the dog to England I wanted to beleive it so bad...my dad even phoned the number he gave and spoke to the man twice on the phone in England. we made all sorts of arrangments (even though, I admit, it was very sketchy..btu the man said I didn't have to pay)

...at the very last minute, after weeks of talking back and forth..he said he needed 500 dollars. I refused to give him the money because I knew it was a scam...and then he said if I truly wanted my dog back I would give him the money. finally after we kept sayingn no, he said I would just have to wait until he came home in 2 months (november). I knew he was lying..but I think I still kind of hoped he would come back because I was anxious all throughout november.

bcalamity
June 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hey Carly...

:( Yes I know about your dog. I read the story and the article in the globe and mail. I'm so sorry you haven't found him yet. :(
It's terrible what that person did to you. Mine seemed more illiterate and seems to have stopped trying now.

I don't know if you recieved it but I actually sent you a message yesterday because I needed someone to talk to. Someone who understood and you seem to understand this frustration so well.

I'm so tired. I haven't slept properly all week. I've already lost a lot of weight.

I don't know what to do.

I can't believe there are people out there who would be so cruel.

jealma
June 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I was shocked, guess I should be but to think people would use this as a scam. They know how much our pets mean to us. Should the police not be notified of the name,, ( I"m sure it's fake) and e-mail address or phone numbers given by these crooks,,, my heart breaks because I'm sure you still had hope that it would turn out that your dog would be home..so crewl

bcalamity,, don't give up, I hope your little one is back soon.

SIL
June 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
bcalamity I'm sorry you were scammed...unfortunately there are alot of cruel people in the world. We lost Billie over a year ago and even thought I never received any weird emails I did get a cruel phone call :sad: Don't give up and follow the suggestions of the members of this forum, they are the ones that have kept me going (along with my family). If you need anyone to talk to, you can pm me. :grouphug::grouphug:

kiara
June 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Sick people taking advantage of your situation. I am so sorry. Go at 4-5 a.m. looking for your cat because there is no background noise then. Get friends and neighbors involved too. Also take flyers (with her picture) to places like food stores and vets, groomers, anywhere you have not gone yet! Good luck in finding your cat.