Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chocolate truffles, but not the kind you eat.

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
So about 2 weeks ago, I woke up to scratching. When I sat up from bed, I noticed Kiska scratching at the floor. Kind of like she does when she eats. I thought it was odd, since there is no food in my bedroom. When I turned on the lights, it turned out it was poop! Gah! Okay, I had to get up anyway, so I took some tissue and picked it up then cleaned the area. It was firm poop so whatever, no big issue. That day I bought a bag of Swheat Scoop and put a little bit in their upstairs litter box.

This morning same thing happened, except it was in a different part of the bedroom and it was Maks. He'd just done it too since it was still warm!:yuck:

They have both used the box with no problems so it's not like they feel intimidated or anything. I'm going to watch them for the next week, but I don't think it's health issues since the poop is firm, not in the least bit runny and they are both acting normal otherwise. Eating, playing, no issues.

I clean their boxes nightly and add fresh litter and liner every 2 weeks. The only thing I can think of, is the week between cleaning I may need to buy an extra bag just to add some fresh litter to their boxes. I don't know why they are doing this. It could be because of Czarina, but they have so little contact with her and she doesn't go near their boxes since she's in the kitchen. I'm going to get some Feliway and put it up in my room. I don't know if that will help, but it's worth a try.

I am thankful of 2 things though. 1. It's not pee! and 2. It's firm poop.

Do you guys think I should have them looked at?

onster
June 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
oh no! Not cool!

I doubt they have something physically wrong with them. Even tho they cant get near czarina, they still cant go into "their" kitchen and I guess things are a little unsettling for them.

Rescue remedy sounds like a good idea and make sure u cleaned up the areas they pooped in really well...other than that all I can say is I hope these were one offs :fingerscr

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Onster, you make a good point. There really is no other reason I can think of for them to do something like this. Maks and Kiska are still only kittens, just 10 months old. I'll pick up some Rescue Remedy on my way home and I can add that to their water. Vlad and Oksana could probably use some too, even though they seem okay, but yesterday Oksana got a little too uppity with the scratching. You should see my arm. It looks like I was trying to commit suicide or something.:frustrated:

krdahmer
June 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Could be stress... could be cling ons too. I get that every now and then here... someone scratching at the floor to let me know there is poop on the loose. I just clean the spot with a lysol wipe and it doesn't happen too often. Mine are usually just a piece or two though like it was stuck to fur, with two in a row they may just be letting you know they want their kitchen back or the boxes aren't up to their standards.... but don't worry I doubt it'll become a habit. Just make sure to get out the lysol.

I did the big litter clean out yesturday, and noticed that since I hadn't bothered to scoop the night before, knowing I was cleaning them the next day, someone had pooped in front of the boxes to show me their disgust! :rolleyes: (and as you said... at least it wasn't pee!:yuck:)

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Could be stress... could be cling ons too. I get that every now and then here... someone scratching at the floor to let me know there is poop on the loose. I just clean the spot with a lysol wipe and it doesn't happen too often. Mine are usually just a piece or two though like it was stuck to fur, with two in a row they may just be letting you know they want their kitchen back or the boxes aren't up to their standards.... but don't worry I doubt it'll become a habit. Just make sure to get out the lysol.

I did the big litter clean out yesturday, and noticed that since I hadn't bothered to scoop the night before, knowing I was cleaning them the next day, someone had pooped in front of the boxes to show me their disgust! :rolleyes: (and as you said... at least it wasn't pee!:yuck:)

:laughing:No, these weren't cling-ons. They were "I'm taking my time" poops. They really didn't spend that much time in the kitchen really. Only to eat, and when I was in there. But yeah, it could be stress too. I think if I get a bag of SS tonight on my way home, and pour some clean litter in there it will refresh the box until I can change it all next week. It might just be my fault, I used to do that, but I've been cutting back on buying extra bags because I'm trying to just stretch my money these days. I'll have to just bite the bullet and get that extra bag on the off weeks.

I was talking to a friend this morning who has dogs and she also said, she preferred cleaning up poop any day than pee. It's unanimous!:laughing:

Dracko
June 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Could be stress... could be cling ons too. I get a habit. Just make sure to get out the lysol.

One of mine, the only male, will do that if I am lazy about scooping. He was raised on a farm for the first 4 months of his life and I always thought he is picky cuz he was able to go where ever he wanted and never in an area that had been "used" recently. Fortunately he is the only one.

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
I added some fresh litter to both their boxes. That should last until this weekend when I have to change all boxes. I'm up to 3 bags every 2 weeks. I'll have to buy 4 now, so I can refill as the others get used. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Dracko, Czarina is the only one using her box so her's is actually quite clean. But I don't want to have her's get really smelly either since she was in the same situation as your guy. I'm actually very pleased she's been using it as well as she has considering up to about 2 weeks ago she was doing her business outside.

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
There is someone in my kitchen and I can't get in there to see who it is!!! Ok, I guess to get mom's attention, let her know I'm not too happy about the situation I will do something totally outrageous! It could be just a little bit of stress over the situation. It could also be he is just letting you know his litter isn't clean enough.
I agree with everyone else. Be glad it isn't the wet stuff. :rolleyes:
I have had to be cleaning that up lately and I don't know who to blame! I have 10 kitties in the house plus one 14 year old toy poodle who may be showing HER jealousy. :shrug: It isn't fun but you deal! I need a hidden camera to catch the guilty party.

krdahmer
June 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
The 'peepee' cam. A new twist on the nanny cam! :laughing:

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
The 'peepee' cam. A new twist on the nanny cam! :laughing:

:laughing::laughing:
Know where I can get one? :D

ancientgirl
June 24th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Oh believe me, the first thing I thought was "thank goodness it's dry firm poop!"

I added some fresh litter like I had been doing up until about a month ago. And this morning I also added a few drops of Rescue Remedy to their water, I'm also going to order some Feliway refills today which I should get hopefully by the end of the week. Hopefully that will at least help calm him and the others down if they are also stressed. :fingerscr

And I'm on the fence about a pet cam. On the one hand, I'd love to see what they are up to all day. But on the other hand, I don't think I really want to know.:laughing: