Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Off to the vet we go

chico2
June 23rd, 2008, 06:48 AM
Well,I am already nervy:eek:this morning at 9.30 we are taking both Rocky and Chico to the vet.
Getting just Rocky in to the carrier is a struggle and a half,getting 2 cats in carriers is a nightmare:yell:
Rocky is going for his regular T4,Chico is meeting the new vet for the first time,for his yearly check-up.
I am really pleased with Rockys progress,he looks good has gained about 2 lb's since our last vet-visit 6 weeks ago,so hopefully his thyroid is under control:fingerscr
Wish me luck with the carriers:yell::yell:

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
:fingerscr:goodvibes: On noooooooo, not the carrier fight! That is the worst part of going to the vet, always such a struggle and they never win.:frustrated::rolleyes:

I have to lock Puddles in the bathroom, bring her carrier in, because it takes about 10 tries to get her in and we don't want her going into hiding where we can't get her.

Good luck today

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Good luck for visit!!! I hope everything goes really well. Yay for Rocky gaining weight!! :highfive: :thumbs up I hope he continues to improve. Such a sweetie. :cloud9:
I am taking a few of the kitties in this morning for final checkups before adoption and worming too. No problems with carriers with them. They don't know they are :evil:

:fingerscr for great visit and greater carrier success!!!!

Lukka'sma
June 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
Putting my cats into carriers was always a struggle at this house too chico. What I ended up doing was buying very oversized carriers that had large door openings and less chances of a paw grabbing onto the carrier as I placed the cats into them.
I hope the vet visit goes well and Rocky's thyroid is under control too.

chico2
June 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah,same here,we close all the doors,hubby puts big gloves on and stand the carrier on end and drop the cat in,thank dog there is 2 of us,could not do it alone.
I HATE to scare them this way and then they howl all the way to the vet,only to become do-what-you-want-with-me kind of cats at the clinic,which is one good thing and then they can't wait to get back in the carrier:laughing:

chico2
June 23rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Lukkasmom,I have been thinking of buying larger carriers,it would be easier,but hubby scuffs at the idea since we already have 3.
I am checking out garage-sales,sometimes they have them.
14+ good luck with the kittens:goodvibes:

kimnmark
June 23rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Good luck with the vet visit & the dreaded carrier insertions.:fingerscr:goodvibes:

angeldogs
June 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Good luck at the vets and getting the two of them in the carrier.

onster
June 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Good luck at the vets chico! hope all goes well!

I am the only one who doesnt have trouble getting the kitties in the carrier tho? lol. Onnie tries to stay away when he sees the carrier out but I just carry him to it and face him at the door, tap his bum and in he walks into the carrier :shrug:. Bunduk I drop in to the carrier from a door at the top, he may put his paws out or something but it only takes a minute to get him in. Guess Im lucky :shrug:

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
I am the only one who doesnt have trouble getting the kitties in the carrier tho? lol. Onnie tries to stay away when he sees the carrier out but I just carry him to it and face him at the door, tap his bum and in he walks into the carrier :shrug:. Bunduk I drop in to the carrier from a door at the top, he may put his paws out or something but it only takes a minute to get him in. Guess Im lucky :shrug:

:eek: unbelievable! I can understand one kitty being easy, but you lucked out with 2!!!! What are the odds.:laughing:

onster
June 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
lol, I know eh.

I do know how difficult it can be to get uncooperative cats into a carrier tho,,,my last cat Ty, even tho he was declawed by previous owner, was a pain to get in so we never took him in a carrier :D We just held him in our arms but then the cat owners that would come in to the clinic wold be astonished how "chill" he was just sitting there on our laps while there were other cats in carriers and doggies coming in and out.

LOL ok i guess im super lucky with cats :D

badger
June 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Just keep telling yourself it's for a good cause, short-term pain for long term gain. I hope Chico will see that it's worth it when he meets the new vet.
Dropping them into a bigger crate is easier but once inside, mine like the smaller crates, more like a hidey-hole.

Chris21711
June 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hope it went well Chico. Our two I have to 'stuff' them in and then when we get to the Vet tip the carrier otherwise there is no way they will come out. Only when we are leaving they will go back in no problem, as if to say "let me get the h*** ou of here. :laughing:

krdahmer
June 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Good luck at the vet's Chico and Rocky!!! Hope they both get rave reviews! And to the kittens too 14+k! :goodvibes:

Fagan and I are off to the vets here this afternoon as well. I have so many carriers here now... two soft gym bag style ones with top and side entry, one old school one big enough for two, another collapsable carrier that could fit 3-4 (it was in with the dog carriers), the space age one with the see through swing out door, and the jeep pet stroller. All of which none of the kitties are happy to get into. Fagan is sort of ok with the newest one, the space age one with the cat bed in it.... once I get him in he just curls up and naps most of the way there, while he's there and all the way home. But I have to be sneaky, I cannot move it from it's storage spot until after i catch him or he's on to me and hiding under the bed! :rolleyes::laughing:

TacoGrl
June 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yes, I remember those days...Jaeger :rip: HATED the carrier...HATED going in...HATED coming out...HATED being carried in it. :rolleyes:

Mooki however has no problems...she even sleeps in it once in a while...she is also good at the vet...she comes out of her carrier and sits there watching things...purrs when the vet is doing the check up-no fussing...surprised the vet the first time she did that LOL!

Hope everything went well :fingerscr

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Good luck Chico2 !!! Hope you don't loose too much blood :eek:

:fingerscr

breeze
June 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
good luck chico :fingerscr:goodvibes: hope everythings ok..

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
How did it go?

rainbow
June 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
You back yet, Chico? .....I hope all went well. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
June 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
OMG,does Rocky have a voice:yell:he screamed all the way to the vet,I bet people could here him in the car,thinking we were torturing him,Chico was fine,the little Prince that he is.
We got Rocky in the carrier on the first try,no blood spilled,but he started screaming right away.
At the vet,we like Chris,have to upend the carrier so he falls out,but once out,he freezes and the vet can do what he wants with him.He was weighed,a whopping 14.9 lb's:thumbs up we'll see what the bloodtest says tomorrow.

Chico loved our new vet,was even purring,he is in perfect health,even his teeth are great,at 11yrs old,he's never had his teeth cleaned.
He weighs 16lb's but is not over-weight.

Before we left,a neighbor 2 houses down,came crying to the door,with a little Bichon.
She is looking after him for a month,while the owners are away,has done it before,so she knows the dog well.
Anyway,he had not really eaten a good meal for 18 days,the last three he had not eaten anything at all:sad:but has been drinking water,vomiting white frothy liquid several times.
She does not know any vet,so I called mine and they said they look after him,so when I got back with the cats off we went(the lady does not drive)back to the vet.
My very handsome,sweet vet,did all he could think off,gave him a needle against nausea,checked his poop and all kinds of things,but could not figure out why he does not eat,hopefully the bloodtest will show some results.
So,that was my day,spent at the vet.:cat::dog:

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I'm glad you're not injured Chico2 :laughing:

Good luck for the little Bichon :goodvibes:

loopoo
June 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
thats fantastic news, great that chico is in good health and that rockies weight is up:)

angeldogs
June 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Thats great that Chico is in good health and Rocky's weight is up.

Good luck with the Bichon.i hope it's just stress causing it not to eat and cause of the vomiting.

badger
June 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'm glad your boys checked out fine. Badger speaks German - sounds like 'Yavol!' - all the way to the vet, never at any other time. He is pretty compliant once he gets there.
Kind of you to help out with the Bichon, obviously you are the go-to person for animals in your neighbourhood :), a noble calling.
:offtopic: Whatever happened to the husky across the street, the one with the expectant parents (his name escapes me)?

CyberKitten
June 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Oh wow Chico, what a day!! I am glad your own kitties are doing OK and that things look good for Rocky! For both of them.

I hope everything is OK with the little Bichon. One would think her (?) people would have taken her to the vet before departing but perhaps she was fine then and possibily this is stress related? Tho if she knows your friends and dogs (unlike cats ) are less stressed with being left with someone they know.

All my cats are fine at getting in their carriers- they will eveb jump in them during the day if one happens to be out (One is part of that pram thing we have, the pink stroller so I don't know, maybe they think if they jump in, we'll all go for a walk - if the weather would improve. It IS better but I spent so much time in warm climates lately that I am still cold, lol)

The problem is once we are in the car and they realize - they just seem to know- because they are excellent travellers otherwise - that is the V-E-T. I think they have figured out the letters so we will have to find another code name, hehheh Imagine two shrieking Siamese and YY can shriek as if someone was killing her - amazed no one reports us and the S Girls join in if they are all going at the same time. Usually, I try not to do that though.

Let us know how the bichon does!

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm glad all went well at the vet's. Chico sounds like Vlad. He's the only one who will actually just walk into his carrier when I take it out. The others are as bad as Rocky.

I hope the little Bichon gets better.

14+kitties
June 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I'm glad everything went well at the vet Chico. I could tell Chico would be a big suck once he was at the vets. He seems just the type. Fantastic news for Rocky! :thumbs up Keep up the good work Boy!
Wow! You call yourself not a rescuer but it seems to me you are always rescuing everyone in your neighbourhood! You rock!!!!! :highfive:
Sending :goodvibes: for the poor bichon.

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Good for Rocky and Chico! :highfive: A few :goodvibes: for Rocky's test results tomorrow. And good for Mom and Dad, getting them into the Dreaded Carriers! :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for the Bichon. I hope he's just not eating because his humans are away! :fingerscr All the bichons I know do tend to be very emotionally attached to their folks!

Crestedcrazy
June 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
glad to hear they both are fine!
trying to get a kitty into a carrier sounds pretty risky:eek:

rainbow
June 24th, 2008, 03:08 AM
WOO HOO for Chico and Rocky :highfive: and hope Rocky gets good results tomorrow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

You are so sweet to help your neighbour :angel: and hope the little Bichon is okay as well. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
June 24th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Glad to hear the vet visit went well with no blood shed :thumbs up.

:fingerscr that Rocky's bloodwork is OK.

What an :angel: you are to help this Bichon. I hope it is nothing serious.

chico2
June 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Badger,Fate,the husky seems to be ok,Breeze,Aslan and Grace met her and she was great washing all their faces:laughing:
The baby-girl was born Sunday:stork-baby:
They are a little worried how Fate and the 2 cats will react to the little one,so we'll see:fingerscr
I talk to the owner quiet often about gardens etc...not always about Fate,but I asked him to please not hit her,or put her in the small crate,she is such a sweet dog.
He says,the trainer told him to give her a little smack on the nose when she's"bad":sad:

The little Bichon knows the lady very well and obviously loves her,so I don't think it's an anxiety problem,hopefully the bloodtest will show what's wrong today:fingerscr

As for Rocky,he seems to be doing good on his Tapazole,but the his growth is still large,3cm long.
I thought it had shrunk,since I could not feel it all the time,but the vet says it moves around,we'll see what the test says:fingerscr
Thank's everyone for the great responses to my little adventures:pawprint:

loopoo
June 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
:fingerscr:goodvibes: for all the test results to come out well, i must have missed rocky having a growth:goodvibes: that all is okay that was well over the top of being nice getting the pup checked.. hope all is okay there too:fingerscr

rainbow
June 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Well, I must say, I honestly hope they decide to rehome Fate. :o

Good luck for Rocky's test results and the little Bichon's too. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
June 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Rainbow,I am hoping they do the right thing and introduce Fate to the baby the right way,she does not have a mean bone in her body
You know,I think Fate is basically a happy dog,does not have a bad life,she has a large back-yard to run around in..and I hope the owner sees the error of his way and not to hit her anymore.:fingerscr
If for any reason they want to rehome her,I am sure there are lots of takers,she is a beautiful dog:lovestruck:

As for little Peppi,the Bichon and Rocky we'll probably have the results tonight,the vet usually calls around eight.

Loopoo,I believe it's not really a growth,but an extended Thyroidgland,

aslan
June 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
forget the lots, me and grace are first in line, we have smoochy pictures and everything.

chico2
June 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Oh Aslan,can you post a couple of pics,the ones where you don't see too much of me:laughing:
I doubt he would give up on Fate,he says he loves her very much,but that she is mischievious(sp?):yell:

aslan
June 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
anything for you my friend, almost dropped in on the weekend, but didn't have your number.

14+kitties
June 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Fate is one handsome fella!!! :fingerscr things work out well for him and the kitties!!!
I hope the test results for Rocky and the Bishon come back showing good things, not bad. :goodvibes:

aslan
June 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
14+ ***pointing at the pink bow***** little girl, shhhh.

14+kitties
June 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Oh crap!!! I seem to do that a lot. Called Bailey wrong sex too a while back! :o I saw the name Fate and figured boy. And pointing at pink bow doesn't help either. It could have been faded red for all I know. I don't worry about what colour to put on a doggie, just if the collar will work.
Sorry Fate, you are a very beautiful girl!!

angeldogs
June 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM
She's a very beautiful girl and looks like you were enjoying her kisses.as much a she enjoyed giving them along with the good attention she was receiving

growler~GateKeeper
June 25th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I am the only one who doesnt have trouble getting the kitties in the carrier tho? lol.

Nope not the only one :laughing: I've never had any problems getting my 3 cats into carriers, I had one who used to sleep in hers :cat: And they've all loved car rides :D The thing is to start young, & take them for car rides to places other than the vet, that way they don't associate the crate with bad feelings. ;)

Chico Got an update on Rocky's T4? :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

:thumbs up Good for you helping out the lady looking after the Bichon

chico2
June 25th, 2008, 06:40 AM
No,no results yet,but the vet said it could take 2 days,depending on how busy the lab is,but I am hoping Rockys levels are ok,he's doing good:fingerscr
I don't know about the Bichon either,but I'll see her today,apparently he's had pancreatic(sp?)problems in the past..:fingerscr

Aslan,thank you,you showed my best feature,my shorts:laughing:

ancientgirl
June 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
She looks so much better than the last pictures you took of her. Have they been taking care of her more?

aslan
June 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Don't listen to her people, she is a mighty fine looking lady:D

rainbow
June 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
No,no results yet,but the vet said it could take 2 days,depending on how busy the lab is,but I am hoping Rockys levels are ok,he's doing good:fingerscr
I don't know about the Bichon either,but I'll see her today,apparently he's had pancreatic(sp?)problems in the past..:fingerscr

Good luck.....hope you hear today. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
June 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Well,results are in,I just talked to this dream of a vet.:lovestruck:(shame on you old lady!)
Rockys thyroid-level was 7,5 and normal is about 10.5,too low,so we are cutting his pills by 1/2 pill,which is great news,he's doing fine and gaining weight back.

Good news for the little Bichon too,I guess the anti-nausea-shot did the trick,he started to eat :thumbs upno more vomiting,so unless he stops eating again,he should be ok for now.

Rocky gave me a big hug,no vet for another 3 months:laughing:

krdahmer
June 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Way to go Rocky! :thumbs up Glad to hear all is well... and that the Bichon is eating too!

ancientgirl
June 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Yay for Rocky! Looks like there was good news for everybody!

growler~GateKeeper
June 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Rockys thyroid-level was 7,5 and normal is about 10.5,too low,so we are cutting his pills by 1/2 pill,which is great news,he's doing fine and gaining weight back.

This is great news :highfive: the T4 testing a bit low is fine, it's actually easier to deal with a treatment induced low thyroid in cats than a high one.

As you mentioned to me he is starting to act more like he was before the HT so now it should be easier to monitor & adjust the dosage.

Now tell Rocky he just needs to behave himself for the next 3 months ;)

Good news for the Bichon as well :thumbs up

rainbow
June 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Glad to hear the good news for both Rocky and the little Bichon. :thumbs up

angeldogs
June 26th, 2008, 02:22 AM
That is good news.glad to here Rocky and the pup are ok and doing good.

Love4himies
June 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Way to go Rocky!! I am glad the puppy is eating

Is the Bichon eating Nutro food? With all the talk about it, I thought it may be a possibility.

chico2
June 26th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Thank's everyone!
L4H,the owner of the Bichon left Sue with a huge bag of Science Diet(grocery store kind):yuck:,was told to add water,mash it up and microwave it:yuck:
It is a possibility his food had gone bad,seeing the bag was only half full,he is such a small dog.

14+kitties
June 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
:grouphug:Great news for Rocky! Bad news for you. You have to wait three whole months to see the dreamy vet again. :sad: So sad!!!!
Glad the Bichon is doing better too. Thanks for helping out so much! :grouphug:

Love4himies
June 27th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Thank's everyone!
L4H,the owner of the Bichon left Sue with a huge bag of Science Diet(grocery store kind):yuck:,was told to add water,mash it up and microwave it:yuck:
It is a possibility his food had gone bad,seeing the bag was only half full,he is such a small dog.

I wonder too.