Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Shedding Too Much Hair

qrod06
June 22nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have a 10 year old long haired domestic cat who is shedding a lot of hair from her chest. Her chest now is almost bare. Not sure what this is due to. She doesn't have any history of illness. Last Apr 2008, I adopted a dog. The dog is friendly to my cat, but the cat seemed not to like the idea of me getting a dog. First, I noticed that the cat was losing weight, then I noticed she is shedding a lot of hair. Could this be stress? I am not sure if it's right to think that probably because she runs inside my apt as her daily exercise. She is not lethargic. I am just worried that it might be a serious condition. Please reply back.

badger
June 23rd, 2008, 02:50 AM
Losing hair and losing weight? I think your cat needs to see a vet asap. A blood test would be wise. Unexplained weight loss should always be taken seriously. The hair loss may be related, or not.
Make sure he always has a safe room/place to go where the dog cannot disturb him.
But do take him to the vet.

Radha
June 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi. Cats shed hair when they are stressed. My Sandy is 10 years old and in the first year that we adopted Spark, our dog, five years ago, he shed so much hair we were practically covered in white fluff :)

However, you mention only his chest losing hair, and that is strange. Equally, losing weight is never a good thing, and you must have him checked up. Is his appetite ok? He's fully dewormed? Is there any skin discolouration where he's losing hair? The vet will ask you these basics so you must be sure.

I would suggest you take him to the vet asap and let him run a thorough check - he may do some blood work but that's a good thing.

And you would need to make sure (I'm sure you do that already but just completing the thought process) that he has enough time with you - WITHOUT the dog and enough place to be by himself. Remember that even as the dog may look friendly to you - and indeed he would be friendly, the cat may perceive it as a threat or a bother, because the reactions of both to life are so different.

Let me know how it goes. :thumbs up

Radha