Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's a sad sad world we live in

Iggette
July 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Perhaps you heard about the two boy's in Blackstock abused by their aunt and uncle for many years. I have followed this story as Blackstock is always in our local paper.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I think the judge that sentenced the aunt and uncle should be taken from the bench immediatly.

It angers me to no end the abuse those poor boys endured under their care and then to miracuously be saved ......to finnally have their day in court.......only to see that a f***** up judge thinks that over 13years of abuse phisically and mentally deserves a sentence of a mere 9 months which by the way means out of jail in about 3 months.

Surely this judge has no morals or decency or even a sence of JUSTICE or he would have given those boys some reassurance that the system was on their side. I think the system failed them in the justice department and only showed them that the law didn't care!!, thank god there are better people dealing with these boys now (social workers)and they are getting the care that they have needed for so long. I have read they are doing well and are happy. I wish them luck

sammiec
July 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Good post Iggi!! I completely agree. Unfortunately I don't think the social workers can do that much to help these boys, the emotional and physical scars will be with them for life. They can't forget that! It's absolutely appauling to see stuff like this happen, and THEN the sentencing on top of that. It's a frigin joke, that's all it is. Those poor poor boys. :(

Luba
July 6th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Children's Aid are the reason these boys were abused for so long to begin with. I have NO respect for them and have no faith that they will ever change. Self regulated bodies always screw up even more then the ministry ones do.

Missy
July 6th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I totally agree, this was just awful. Those poor boys, they will never be able to have any real chance at life after suffering so many years of trauma and abuse. Not only that, now apparantly they have been placed in separate foster homes - why, after all that, can Children's Aid not arrange for them to be kept together? I can't believe how was this allowed to go on for so long and not have anyone notice or do anything. The system really failed those poor boys.

And then for the judge to give the parents only nine months shocked and disgusted me. I hope the Crown appeals. Stats Can just released a report that found that family members get reduced sentences for crimes and so I guess the precedent has been set.

chico2
July 6th, 2004, 08:03 PM
I agree with you all and I was stunned at the verdict,but not really surprised,coddle the offenders :mad: They apparently were not smart enough to know that they were doing wrong.
I always believed to adopt a child you had to have at least minimal intelligence.
I also think it was a case of"I don't want to get involved"as so often happens,
that kept this abuse going for so many years.
There must be a reason for splitting up the brothers,maybe their emotional problems are too difficult for one fosterfamily to deal with and since they are now 17,18(I believe)I am sure they will have the freedom to see each other.
The parents should definetly spend a few years in jail,the system is a joke.

Iggy by the way,nice to see you back :D

glasslass
July 6th, 2004, 10:29 PM
I'm not familiar with this story. Do you have any news sites that I can pull up? :confused:

Luba
July 7th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Here u go

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20040705-003/page.asp

Iggette
July 7th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Not 100% sure chico but I believe the mom died and it was the aunt and uncle who adopted so I guess they didn't have to go through the regular requirements of the adoption procedure.

Being adopted myself stories like this make me cringe ....and also very greatful I had a good (adopted) mom.

I will check to see if the local papers have a story on the net.....

These boys should sue childrens aid and your right they should be regulated and investigated by a third party to ensure the saftey of the children, and if I also remember correctly the children were afraid to tell anyone about the abuse even at school, very very sad

glasslass
July 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Thank you Luba. They couldn't prove they were sadists? This reminded me of a book we have in the library by David Pelzer titled A Child Called "It". It's the 1st of 3 books and is an autobiography of David who was abused by his natural mother. He finally escaped and was brought up in foster homes. Now he is divorced and has a son of his own whom he is raising by himself. This 1st book tells of the early years and the abuse, stealing of food from lunch boxes at school to survive, up to his escape. It's horrifying to read, especially as it's told in the first person in the vocabulary of a child. I recommend it to everyone! Very insightful!

wAggie
July 12th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Children's Aid are the reason these boys were abused for so long to begin with.

Luba, explain this. why is it not SOCIETY or NEIGHBOURS or TEACHERS?