Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chewing Machine!

Etown_Chick
June 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
I have a rescued wheaten terrier cross, fixed male, about 11 months old. He definately has his adult teeth, so that's not the problem.
This dog can't seem to stop chewing. He chews everything, anything, all the time.
The only time he's not chewing is when we are at the dog park or he is sleeping.
He gets lots of exercise, attention and play, eats quality food, has plenty of toys but he won't stop chewing my things.
Needless to say I gave in and bought a kennel, which I am proceeding to introduce him to.
Anyone else run into this and is there any hope that he will outgrow it?
I'm running out of patience (and things).

Chaser
June 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
One thing I did with Chase that helped was to scatter a bunch of items on the floor (a combination of dog toys and things like shoes, wallet, etc.) and then with him attached to me, let him explore all the items. When he tried to pick up something of mine I would command him to "Leave it" and when he picked up a dog toy he got a treat, lots of praise, and we would play with it together. I found after doing this a couple times he stopped stealing shoes etc. and very quickly learned to identify the toys that were for him.

Also try to make sure he doesn't have TOO many toys out at one time. I keep it to around 3 out at a time, and cycle through some different ones to change it up and give him variety. Too many and they can get confused about what is "theirs" I think.

I fully agree with the kennel idea though, and you shouldn't feel bad about that. It will help him stay out of trouble and learn the rules of his new home. Congrats on adopting, and please post pictures! :)

BusterBoo
June 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Congrats on the rescue!!! As for chewing......oh yes....shoes, belts, papers, corner of dresser, more shoes (of the leather variety!!!!!) socks, lamp cords and the list goes on. Will he ever "outgrow it"....don't think so :D

But with proper training you will be able to teach him to leave it or drop it. I also didn't want to crate my dog but gave in and bought a wire crate, which he now LOVES. Until you can trust your pup, the crate is the safest place for him when you can't be close by.

Besides the training, the only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you puppy-proof your home. Hey, it's a great way to keep your place neat and tidy! :D

Any pictures????

mollywog
June 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Good ideas Michelle. :thumbs up
Etown, don't feel bad about crating him to curb his chewing! Just think of all the trouble (and harm) he could get into if he was left home alone unattended. :eek: The crate is great for that. There are tons of resources online about crate training. Take it slow and keep it positive, and before long, he will be CHOOSING to go in there for some quiet time :sleepy:

diandpat
June 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I also have a male wheaten/shih tzu mix that we rescued five years ago when he was about 1.5 yrs old. At that time we had already had our nine yr old golden for two years. By better luck than management we let Hobo loose from the get go. Knowing now what I did not know then I would definitely crate train or at the very least restrict movement of a newly introduced dog but, hey, we got away with it then ;)

As far as chewing goes, the first person who ever groomed Ginger had suggested that I get her a basket and put her toys in it. We did that with total success. When Hobo came around I bought a few new toys, let him see/smell them when they came out to the bag and he followed me to the basked when I put them down. To this day neither of my dogs or any of the other strays/doggy guests that we have had in our home have ever chewed anything that was not in that basket. Again, possibly better luck than management, but I have suggested the same solution to other people who have also had success. Can't hurt, right :laughing:

Good luck with your new little terrier and I would LOVE to see a pic whenever you can.