Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nail Biting

wildhair
June 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
My adorable Shi-tzu :dog: bites his nails. constantly! it is almost like a human with a nervous condition. I take him to the groomer or vet to have them done, but he continues to do it a few days later. :shrug:
I have seen those nail grinding tools advertised on TV and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.
Also, someone recommended nail caps, but if he is chewing his nails anyway, wouldnt he also pull those off?

---whg

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Are you sure your dog is biting at his nails? It almost sounds like he's got itchy pads or is itchy between the toes. Maybe an allergy?

I agree with you--I think the nail caps would come off...so probably not a good idea, and I doubt that it would help the problem, anyway. :shrug:

wildhair
June 24th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah, he is definitely biting them. I can hear the clicking and his nails (on the front feet anyway) are horrible and very rough and scratchy. That was why i was wondering about nail grinding, and the grinder that is advertised on TV.

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Grinder as in dremel tool? You have to be careful with them because it's easy to grind off too much nail, but if your dog tolerates the noise, it may be the way to go. :shrug:

I'm wondering if there might be something you can supplement his diet with that might condition his nails... What is he eating ?