Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Frustrated and worried.

Kayleee
June 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
So I got this 6 week old kitten about a week ago. I realized he had fleas (AGH!) and gave him a flea bath, kept him nice and warm till he was dry. Unfortunately he still has fleas and they are probably definitely spreading to my other kitties and my dog. Unfortunately I do not have the money to pay for the flea medication for a couple of days :( I feel terrible about this. So anyways, the kitten was fine for a few days(aside from a couple stupid fleas) but then suddenly he starts coughing and wheezing. So I called the vet and asked what I should do, they said he may have feline leukemia in which case he will have to be put down because it seems to be spreading like wild fire around here lately. However, as far as I know if he actually had that he wouldn't be playing and eating so much. She also said it may be worms. So I went in and paid 50 cents for a pill which I administered half of yesterday and another half in ten days. It was said that it is possible that the worms could make his stomache expand and restrict his lungs somewhat. But what I told her, and never get a clear answer, is that he sounds like he has wet lungs and almost constantly wheezes and he hasnt gotten any better since I gave him the pill yesterday and I feel so incredibly helpless...I can just imagine how Wheezie feels! But he's still playing and eating. He stops to cough and wheeze a bunch everyonce in a while, and he is almost constantly wheezing. Hopefully I'll have enough money tomorrow to really help him. Ahhh! THIS SUCKS!

Kayleee
June 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I just want to know if anyone has any idea whats going on. I want to believe that he'll be alright. I feel so terrible :wall:

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
I would find, borrow, use credit card, find any way you can to get kitty in to see a vet asap. A small kitty can be in serious trouble very fast. No waiting, find a way to get him in.
Just for future info - don't give a kitten that young a bath. You don't ever need to bath a cat. They keep themselves clean. Even if you think he was dry and warm, he may not have been.
Please find a way to get him in!!
:goodvibes: and let us know how he is doing!

CyberKitten
June 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I agree- do whatever you have to but this kitten needs to see a vet yesterday - asap in other words. Kittens become ill and can fade very quickly. It sounds serious and he needs good vet care - I do not want to even suggest what he may have but it sounds ominous and I don;t say that lightly.

A small kitten (maybe a few months old ) can be bathed if absolutely necessary but you need heating pads and other equipment. This kitten in fact needs to be in some kind of incubator now- like his own ICU. If you have a heating blanket, put it on low and wrap[ him warmly on it but stay with him. Do NOT leave him alone!!!! But get him to a vet most of all!!!

Good luck and pls let us know what happens.