Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where to leave puppy all day?

rjan67
June 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hi all,

My Golden Retriever pup is almost 9 wks and one of the reasons we waited to get her until summer is that my dh and kids are home all summer long. HOWEVER....school here is not done until Wed this week and we have been lucky enough to have my Mom baby sit Sadie while we were at work the last couple of weeks. She is going away next week and won't be able to watch her. I have neighbours who are willing to come in and take her out a couple of times (I still have to talk to them to find out exactly how many times they will be availabe for the 3 days). So....my question is....we have been crate training her and she is doing well with that but usually she is not left more than 2 hours in it during the day. If it turns out that she may be left longer (like 3-4 hours) should I put her in the kitchen in a blocked area (say 5x5) with newspaper so that she has more room to move around or would this totally thwart my housetraining efforts. It will only be for 3 days, then we will be home with her til Sept. All thoughts, advice welcome!

Thanks,
Ruthann

kigndano
June 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
i would think that switching between paper and crate training will slow down the process greatly.

the general rule of thumb ive heard, is that puppies can hold their bladder/bowel for their age in months plus one hour.

so at 9 weeks your pup could go 3 hours.

what you could do, would be to expand the crate (not sure what kind you have, if its a golden i would think you got a large wire crate?) by removing the divider (if theres one in there of course).

that way you keep the crate in the picture, but allow the pup room to have an accident and not have to lay in it.

that may also hinder your progress too, but i think removing the crate from the picture may slow the process way more

you could also try limiting water/food while you are away. switch to 2 feedings per day if possible.

one can be given by whoever will visit last before you get home maybe?

and then one before bed so you can take the pup out early in the AM.

for water, i have a "Lixit" bottle that worked great for my mal, makes getting the water out a challenge, so the pup is less likely to overindulge and have an accident.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754644

i got the smaller one, and it lasts my dog 3 or 4 nights of sleep before i have to refill it, so the amount should be more than enough with whatever you get.

just my :2cents: and im a new dog owner, so take it with a grain of salt. im sure more people will chime in too.

Lukka'sma
June 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
You don't say where you live but how about something like this
http://www.countrypaws.com/

You could look for a boarding kennel in your area that will provide the services similar to this place. Puppy gets play time, they have a pool, also you can get a trail walk with one of the workers. Good solution for short term.

sugarcatmom
June 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
You could also set up a long-term confinement area (puppy playpen) as described here: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-playroom-amp-doggy-den Your kitchen would work quite well for that, but you may want to use something like sod instead of newspaper for your pup to eliminate on. Since dogs develop substrate preferences for elimination, it would be best to be consistent in that department during house-training (so if you want him going on grass outside, use it inside when you can't be there as well). Here are more tips: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining

jealma
June 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I;'m glad your crate trainning is going so well. I trainned Abby on a puppy pad since we brought her home in Feb and the snow was so high if we'd taken her out we would have never found her again. Than we moved to the outside potty once the snow got lower. We still have a puppy pad in the house set for her,, just incase we don't manage to get home in time. She has the living room and kitchen ( no carpets) to run in while we are gone. I have found she works very hard to hold, but if she must go,, she will use the pad, so it's kind of a win win for us both. Mind you ,, I far prefer her not to use the pad,, but it's there for back up. I know a mistake is going to make her and I both feel bad,, and the puppy pad is not counted as a mistake. I think I"d invest in a bag of puppy pads at first though,, I think there is a sent to them that attacts the puppy, where she might not get what a new paper is for. Same ,, it's like taking a step backwards,, but I do understand,, sometimes you have to. I"m sure any way you do it,, it's for such a short period of time,, that any steps backwards,, can be brought forward very fast.

rjan67
June 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up blocking her in the kitchen with her pillow and newspaper and lots of chew toys. The neighbour was over 2x and I had no messes! Just some shredded newspaper but I can deal with that! I wasn't sure I wanted to tempt fate with giving her more room in the crate to possibly mess in. Only 2 days left.

BlueBreeze
June 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Well, if it was me I'd be tempted to call in sick and stay home and have the whole day with the new puppy :) But my concience couldn't handle the dishonesty.