Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yearly Vaccinations??

Princesss04
July 6th, 2004, 03:09 PM
:confused: I was wondering what vaccinations should you gave a cat ? I mean like yearly vaccinations. I know that some vets reccomend everything just so they can get more money. I have a vet appointment for my cat on Thrusday (for his shots) and I was wondering what ones should have and which ones should he not have. And what is the right age for a male kitten to get fixed? Thank you for your help. :D

sammiec
July 6th, 2004, 03:12 PM
how old is the cat, has he had any shots yet. I am assuming that it's young, since you asked when it can be fixed....

A cat should have all it's booster shots, these are done in three seperate visits usually - those cover many different alment that a cat can get. Then on their third visit they most likely will ge their rabies vac. too. Many people have different opinions on when animals need vac.s after those three. I personally get rabies every year for my cay because we have an active dog that's outside all the time, so I just want to be sure that he is up to date as well. Other's might have more in depth information for you. :D

As for getting fixed, 6 months is usually the best age.

Spoiled
July 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Some people suggest to get the male cat fixed after the urine starts to smell very strong.

sammiec
July 6th, 2004, 03:15 PM
by that time he can already impregnant another cat - I think. :p

Princesss04
July 6th, 2004, 03:17 PM
how old is the cat, has he had any shots yet. I am assuming that it's young, since you asked when it can be fixed....

A cat should have all it's booster shots, these are done in three seperate visits usually - those cover many different alment that a cat can get. Then on their third visit they most likely will ge their rabies vac. too. Many people have different opinions on when animals need vac.s after those three. I personally get rabies every year for my cay because we have an active dog that's outside all the time, so I just want to be sure that he is up to date as well. Other's might have more in depth information for you. :D

As for getting fixed, 6 months is usually the best age.

My cat is 3 almost four years old. He has had his shots every year. The reason I was asking about the kitten getting fixed is because my friend says that she has always been taught that you should not have a cat fixed until after it's first "intercourse" with another cat. To make sure that is is healthy or some crap like that so I was going over there tonight and was going to talk to her and if she will not listen I am going to offer to take him and pay for it myself. But I was wondering about the cat vaccinations for my older cat?

sammiec
July 6th, 2004, 03:21 PM
No problem. My cat never had sex before - poor bugger, LOL. He's 4 and fixed and he's perfectly fine. If he's 6 months or so, there's no reason not to get him fixed.

Princesss04
July 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I agree they should be foxed ASAP so if she will not I will! :p I think if he has not had sex he will prolly make it I mean if you get them fixed young they will never know. I am going to take him more than likely but that is okay. Thank you for all your help! :D

Spoiled
July 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I've heard that people have been experimenting to see the best time, and there has been not very many problems with neutering or spaying a cat as young as 2 weeks. Is this true? :confused:

glasslass
July 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
When I asked my vet about this, he said he will only do it after 7 months. He said they need the hormones to develop properly. I do see a lot of articles that say otherwise. :confused:

Lucky Rescue
July 6th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Personally, I would only neuter a male cat under 6 months old (and neutering can be done as young as 8 weeks) if I were adopting it out as this the only way to be sure it's done.

For my own male cats, I would do it before he starts spraying - probably 6 or 7 months to be sure. If the cat is allowed out, I would do it younger to make sure he is not able to impregnate any females. It's been my experience that males who are neutered very young seem to be socially retarded.

As for vaccinations - I would never give vaccinations to indoor cats. If the cats goes out, I would vaccinate against rabies, distemper and leukemia. There is no law that says cats must receive rabies vax, but since that is tranmittable to people, I would have it done every 3 yrs if the cat is often out.

I would not vaccinate yearly. It's been seen that cats are susceptible to injection site cancers.
Injection site sarcoma (http://www.traditionalcats.com/Education/Medical/Vaccine_connected_fibrosarcoma.htm)

Missy
July 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
"The reason I was asking about the kitten getting fixed is because my friend says that she has always been taught that you should not have a cat fixed until after it's first "intercourse" with another cat. To make sure that is is healthy or some crap like that."

LOL...that kind of sounds like a line a teenaged boy would use on his girlfriend...you know, the "but it hurts" one. Sorry but it made me laugh :p

We've spayed/neutered my cats all around the time when they were a little under six months. I agree too that yearly vaccinations are not necessary for indoor cats that aren't exposed to other outdoor animals.

Lucky Rescue
July 6th, 2004, 06:06 PM
she has always been taught that you should not have a cat fixed until after it's first "intercourse" with another cat. To make sure that is is healthy or some crap like that

Taught by WHOM?? Someone so stupid and ignorant they believe this garbage, even in the year 2004?? Boggles my mind, on many levels!

In order to do this, you would need to find another ignorant and irresponsible moron with an intact female cat and allow the breeding. Are the kittens by-products of this imbecilic notion??

But judging by the numbers of dumped kittens, there are still a lot of stupid and brainless idiots out there.:(

These people need to get themselves neutered, so as not to pass on the "DUHHHH" gene. :mad:

Princesss04
July 7th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Very true LR! Yes, her kitten was from someone that lets their cat outside and it has had amny differnat litters of kittens. Thank you for the advice on the shots. So you think when he goes in tommrow not to have them do any shots? He is never outside. We house sit for a kitten and he had a few fleas on him so I washed him real good and picked them off and he seemed to be okay. But, yesterday I went home from work and there was a flea on Cry Baby so I need to go in and get him some flea meds. but as far as the shots nothing you think? :D

Rolly
July 7th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Hi princess..you didn't say that you babysit a kitten before..your cat is coming into contact with another..perhaps you should get shots for your cat.
Mine gets her shots because my daughters visit a few times a year and bring their cats with them..i know they tell me they get their cats vaccines but they also let their cats outside ..Rolly

Lucky Rescue
July 7th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Well, I hesitate to say that your should not ever get any vaccinations. There is always the chance your cat could get out, or you may bring another cat into your home (and already have!)

You might want to get just one set of vaccs - particularly for FeLV(leukemia) and FiV (Feline immunodeficiency Virus) just to be sure! Leukemia is 100% fatal and a horrible disease.:(

And as I say, my cat who went out got a rabies shot.

Princesss04
July 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Okay I will have them give him his shots. The cat that was there at the house had all of his shots and was up to date on all of them but I am going to just to be sure that my baby is okay. I think he is fine like I said the other cat had all of his and was okay. But, I prolly will to make sure. Better safe than sorry.