Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

adoption over buying

chicken pot pie
June 22nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
hello to all, my name is kim and of course im an animal lover!! I have 3 dogs, chicken the golden, ben the goldon and munchy the lap dog. I have one cat, happy and dougie the bird, All were adopted and theres more love in this house then anything else!! You can adopt a purebred with out having to spend the big bucks!! often its just fear that makes us buy a pet thats a baby for fear that the animal thats older will not be up to par, but with a little love and patients they all come around and usually become great friends. Im from quebec and puppy mills are a big thing here IT seems every week there shutting one down just to have another surface elsewhere, Im certainly not knocking responsible breeders, but those that pump them out like cookies just to make a profit, I have always dreamed of owning a pile of golden retrievers and I have two !! thanks to golden rescue here in quebec, who do a wonderfull job of finding homes. My guys are beautiful and my latest addition ben came from frenchy, (look for thread) who herself has adopted another dog that is half golden and half cocker, thanks to her I have another wonderfull animal, this women is remarkable in her quest to save these beautiful animals. she also led me to this site thanks to all of you for making this a great place for information , and for welcoming us newcommers.

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
wooohooo you joined !!!! :highfive:

Welcome to pets.ca Ben's mom !!!!!!!!

Ben is sooo lucky to have you guys has his forever family :grouphug:

I have to warn you , you will get .... pressure :D to post pictures , by other members than me of course :rolleyes: it takes I think 48 hours and a few posts before you will be able to do so.

Sabine
June 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Welcome and thanks for adopting ! !:thumbs up:)

mollywog
June 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Congrats on your new addition and welcome! I hope you will stick around and make use of all the resources and support at your fingertips here! :pawprint:
PS- pictures of Ben!?!?!?? pleeeeease!?!? ;)

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Frenchy - we NEVER beg, demand, plead, whine, pester, etc for pictures. I have NO idea where you got that idea from! :rolleyes:

chicken pot pie - Welcome to Pets!! We have been hearing about your marvelous home and furbabies for quite some time. I am glad you joined! There is lots of info and fun on this site. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Oh and - when you have a spare moment, not to beg, demand, plead, whine, pester, etc, pictures of all of your babies would be wonderful! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hi, chicken pot pie!

I remember Ben :cloud9: How is the sweetheart doing? And we definitely need some updated pics! (Oh, where are my manners? We need some updated pics, please! :o)

Welcome to the board!

growler~GateKeeper
June 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Welcome to pets.ca chicken pot pie :thumbs up

We were all so happy to hear what a great home you have given Ben :D :thumbs up

clm
June 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
I remember Ben too, and I'm so glad you're here. Welcome ChickenPotPie. Can't wait to see some pics of Ben and the rest of your clan.

Cindy

kimnmark
June 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
HI & welcome. I can't wait to see pics of Ben.

Love4himies
June 23rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
:eek: Frenchy we aren't the demanding types for pictures, no way, not us.

Soooooooo, when I log on Tues morning at 7AM, you will have had approx 10 minutes to post pictures, so I will be expecting some :D;) or else!!!!:D

HelenNutmeg
June 23rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
Welcome CPP.. I too say thanks for adopting.. as I run basset hound rescue here in Quebec I understand what your saying about the mills.. It drives me nuts..

Congrats on the newbie.. Well done Frenchie..

Nutmeg

kiara
June 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Congratulations on all your adoptions. I think in this case everyone wins. I often check Craig's or Kijji's lists and of course there are many purebred cats there for sale. (Of course I am excluding good, reputable breeders) It is sickening that humans are making a buck by exploiting cats or dogs. When so many healthy animals often don't have a chance and are euthanized because no one wants them.

mastifflover
June 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the board always nice to have new members espesially those who adopt and rescue. So where are the pics?

Ford Girl
June 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I have always dreamed of owning a pile of golden retrievers and I have two !!

I am green with envy. :D :D I wanna pile, I want 2! :cloud9:

Welcome to pets.ca chicken pot pie!!

We have been waiting for Ben updates, we pester Frenchy all the time for new pics and updates, now we can go straight to the source! :thumbs up Can't wait to "meet" your other cirtter too! :cloud9:

chicken pot pie
June 27th, 2008, 06:51 AM
ok my new friends!!! here is where you will find me a little intolerable!! I am not very computer able, In fact Im downright awful, god knows how I even was able to do what Ive done so far!with that said I am sure you will all steer me down the right path and tell me how to put the pictures up. I renovate and decorate and paint beautiful homes, but cant even put pictures up on a website, very sad, but at least Im a good mom and have much more patience with my animals then with a dumb computer. I also have another question, I read about the two beauties and the divorce thing, I am wondering where these kids are going to go and am against separating them, I think their to old to have that done to them, I wonder if I should take them. Its a big decision as I work a lot , I wish I could just win the lotto then I could adopt them all and stay home , Ben has become an icon in our family and the transition was smooth. The thing is cause hes got problems with his health I have to keep an eye on him and so my sitter comes in sometimes twice a day to walk and play with all of them. If i get a contract in montreal then sometimes Im gone for 12 hours a day till the job is finished, and that makes them all a little grumpy. They hate it when I leave and I hate it more. They know when Im going to work as I wear my work clothes and they pout right off the bat and it makes me feel awful but such is life as you all know. So adopting two more does not scare me in the least but its the time away from them that bothers me. My sitter is wonderful and she puts up with all my rules and lists that must drive her crazy as this is her job and shes very effective at it, but she knows I just worry that all is well when im not here. I trust no one with my babys, and dont know what id do if my sitter retired or moved , example ... my cleaning lady knows not to let them outside when she comes, but she went ahead and did it anyway and ben and chicken decided to go for a dip in the pool, thats all fine and dandy but ben cant get out after hes done cause he has trouble with the stairs and even though there big easy stairs hes not good at it so i have to be in the pool with him or he will just swim around till he drowns!! thank god she was able to get him out, I fired her and i know that sounds harsh bu it wasint the first time shes done something that i told her not to do, once she let chicken out the front door!! imagine!The yard around the pool is fenced in but she let her out where there is no fence and off she went , I was livid,So this is why I cant let just anyone take care of my kids, I would love to have the both of them but am worried that I dont have enough time for them. Any way lets see how it goes and if no one wants them then I may have no choice as my heart breaks to think they will be separated. So im off to work and will check in with you tonight to see if you were able to help me with the pictures, have a great day to you all!!!

Frenchy
June 27th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I would love to have the both of them but am worried that I dont have enough time for them.

I would never pressure you into adopting these 2 dogs , but maybe you know someone who would ? I know you have lots of friends who own dogs.

I will let someone else explain how to post pics because I suck at explaining this in english :D

good for you for firing the maid , she gets paid , she should have listened. :shrug:

Winston
June 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Yay! Bens Mom! Nice of you to join! We all remember Ben! hes such a cutie pie! Cant wait to see some updated pics of your precious little boy! and chicken too!

As for the decision on this one...I think you and only you can make that call...you could debate it over and over and only you will know if its right! If your away for long periods that may not feel right but think of all the good things that they have instead? A home, someone who LOVES them!, feeds them, walks them, cuddles them and gives them joy...I guess what I mean is there is some good and some bad!

Whatever happens like Frenchy said maybe you may know someone ......I look forward to seeing your pics! Good Luck

Cindy

chicken pot pie
June 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM
hey frenchy, you can tell me in french you know , im not that bad. is it me thats dumb??? ive been looking everywhere, there is a new member, candice from texas, she posted all her kids and there great pics, I asked her how she did it so hopefully they will all be up by tonight if someone can help me. I will keep loooking for a way to get them up, also where are the two goldons now?? are they with you??? because we are seriously thinking about it.....

breeze
June 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM
if I'm not mistaken, you have to have a certin number of posts and a waiting period before you can post pictures..

I belive that it is 24-48 hours but not sure of the amount of posts needed..

I forgot to say welcome to the board....
I too remember Ben and would love to see more pictures of him.. when you can of course.

After the waiting period, there is a section on how to upload your pictures here
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24118

hope this helps..

Frenchy
June 28th, 2008, 08:55 AM
also where are the two goldons now?? are they with you??? because we are seriously thinking about it.....

It would be so wonderful ! :crazy: But crazy ! You would have 5 dogs !!! Like I mentioned , I would never pressure people to adopt , specially people with already a multi pets household .

They are still at their owners in Hemmingford , it's about 15-20 minutes from where I live. Of course , if you do decide to adopt them , I could have the owners drive the dogs to my place or pick them up myself.

I must add .... we can't save them all. I know how sad it is and how we always think : what's one more .... but I don't want you guys to regret so think about this long and hard. It's ok to say no sometimes. :shrug:

No pressure from us ok ?