Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blood Work Good but Possible Tumour

gabbana
June 22nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi, im hoping someone can help me out with any info or maybe I can potentially help someone out there who is new to owning a pet... This may sound ignorant of me but I really did not know how important it was for a pet to get spayed at an early age. I thought I was taking great care of her by providing organic food since she was just a kitty, only purified water, regular visits to the vet, lots of love, etc..

A friend of mine finally made me aware that if a cat is not fixed they could develop cancer, diseases, etc.., meaning that I could of shortened my cats life... oh no

I brought her in to get fixed immediately, a Vet that was referred to me from a colleague. They asked if I wanted to get bloodwork done to ensure she was healthy before they removed her uterus & ovaries. Of course I said yes, but shouldn't this be an automatic with vets? Anyways, I waited 6 hours to hear back from the vet about the results, they called back and said she was a very healthy cat and the blood work was great so they would go ahead with the surgery.

Not even 30 minutes later, the Vet calls me himself and says that he just removed her uterus and wanted to let me know that he found a large mass like tumour and he needs my permission to send if off for a biopsy $79 to see if its cancerous???

He says it's my fault for not getting her spayed sooner. I was devasted & speechless, then he pulls out this bottle/jar with her uterus in it and puts in in my face to prove that he's not lying about this mass???

Im wondering is this possible?? She had great blood work, no changes in her eating or sleeping habits actually she's been eating more, running around like nothing happened potentially have cancer?

Oh I forgot to mention, this same vet told me and quoted me on paper that the total charge was 220 for bloodwork and getting her spayed, when I picked her up the final bill was $490 and when I questioned the extra charges that I was not made aware of on the quote the Vet's secretary (his wife) began getting defensive and yelling at me!! The entire experience has now left me wondering about the credibility of this Vet Hospital or this potential "tumour"....

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Im wondering is this possible?? She had great blood work, no changes in her eating or sleeping habits actually she's been eating more, running around like nothing happened potentially have cancer?

Cancer won't show up in blood work. And it is possible to have a cat or a dog that has cancer and won't show any signs , then get really sick very fast and have to be put down because there's nothing that can be done. :shrug:

I'd say $490 for blood work , spay and removal of a tumor is within normal charges. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
It is possible for an animal to have perfectly normal blood work and still have cancer. Cancer can 'hide' until it's quite advanced. And I agree with Frenchy that $490 is a reasonable cost for a spay and mass removal.

However, I can't say I care much for the attitude of your vet. Before even knowing if it's cancerous, he's confronting you with blame? That she has cancer because you didn't spay her early?! That's uncalled for, bordering on cruel, and does nothing to help your kitty.

I'd let them send it in for the pathology report, but then I'd change clinics. :shrug: If she does have something, you'll need the services of a caring vet who spends time healing your pet, not passing blame about bygones. JMO

ancientgirl
June 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Ditto on what Hazel said. Get yourself a new vet after you get your girls results. Your vet had no business talking to you like that.