Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with Frisbee Basics?

Chaser
June 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice in teaching Chase to play Frisbee. He's over a year, enjoys fetch, and LOVES to jump (rather high I might add)...regularly hurdling fallen logs and such things when we go hiking.

I really think he will enjoy this game, so I got a Kong frisbee that will be soft for his mouth....and realized I don't know how to teach him to play! :o

He will catch small treats out of the air, but he won't even fetch the frisbee...let alone attempt to catch it.

Can anyone help me out with some basic steps to teach him this??? Thanks!

(btw, my apologies if I chose the wrong forum...it's not a behaviour problem but it does involve teaching something so I made an educated guess)

SolaMio
June 22nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
I don't have any tips for you, unfortunately, sorry! I would LOVE to play frisbee with Sola, but we can't find one that she can't destroy in 2.2 seconds. :o

We bought what we *thought* was a high quality one from a fancy-schmancy pet store for around $15, but she literally ripped it apart in less than a minute. I can't remember the brand. Kong makes frisbees? Do you think it will be more durable?

Good luck with your frisbee-ing.. Maybe if you got her really excited for it? I tend to yell "What's THIS???" in an excited way, and throw whatever it is as high as I can... And run around myself a bit to get her going...

allymack
June 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
I dont know a whole lot about this myself, as i am in the beginning steps of teaching enzo to play frisbee also. But you do have a good start with him catching the treats, start putting a word to that, i use "catch" so everytime you toss him a treat say "Catch" and then start with the frisbee, toss it to him and say "Catch" and then treat him. Start off with only about a foot between the two of you, and as he gets good at that, move back to a foot and a half to two feet. Continue to move back to around 7 feet. Then start trying to toss it a foot or so and say catch and he should run to try to get it. Although I say he should, this is the problem Enzo and i are having trouble with, he wont run and catch it, or jump and catch it, he will fetch it, but not catch it. So if any one has any tips from here on i think we would all like that :) hope what i had to offer helped though.

kigndano
June 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
hopefully a border collie owner comes by, i think theyre the breed famous for that right?

hazelrunpack
June 22nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
So is Chase interested in it at all? If he's chasing it, you may be able to teach him to pick it up and fetch it...or catch it. But if he's not chasing it, then you might want to think about some other activity. Sounds like he'd be great at agility! And you can set up a small agility course in your backyard with just household items and not a lot of money if you think creatively. :D

Chaser
June 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Glad this thread has generated some interest!

SolaMio - I would say the Kong frisbee seems pretty durable...we played tug with it this morning!

allymack - Thanks for the treat idea....I think I'll try continuing with that.

kigndano - I'm hoping for some BC advice for sure...Chase has turned out to have a lot more border collie in him than I had realized (which I like but was surprised by, thinking I had more or less just adopted a Labby).

hazelrunpack - We're hoping to move within 4-5 months and will definately be setting up a mini-course for him then once we have enough space for it. I'm kind of sad because he is so good at it, but I can't afford any advanced training for him to get into it officially :sad:

We made some progress this morning...he was having trouble recognizing it as a toy for some reason (normally not a problem for him!), but today we played tug which helped him register that this is something to play with and he also started fetching it.

I mainly don't know how to make the transition to catching it. I can work with treats, but how do I translate that to the disc? Any ideas???

allymack
June 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
hmm i think i have a defective BC, hehe, i mean not going and catching the frisbee:rolleyes:

to transition to the frisbee from the treats is actually fairly easy, i just started playing tug with the frisbee ( like you, gets them used playing with it and having it in their mouth and what not) and just using his catching word.."Catch"

hope that gives a bit of help. good luck!

mafiaprincess
June 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
http://hyperflite.com/training.html#basics It's got help on disc selection, introducing disc to dog, and how to get them interested if they aren't as well as starting to teach catching. Then you can scroll back up and learn some of the more fun things on the page ;)

Chaser
June 24th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Thank you everyone for all the ideas! Chase already seems to be enjoying getting started learning something new :)

Lissa
June 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM
To teach cathing, you start by rolling the frisbee along the ground on its side (which is almost impossible to do with a heavy frisbee like a kong). While some dogs need to be able to tug, it can make it harder to transition to a regular frisbee (I certainly wouldn't recommend Chase catching the kong frisbee as they are much too heavy and chould cause injury). If you do not plan to compete and want something that will serve as a tug, try a booda soft bite floppy disc (your dog will need a solid leave it or you can tug with the kong and then throw the floppy disc).
If you do want to compete, you will need a frisbee that doesn't have a huge lip and it needs to be lightweight (unfortunately that does mean that the dogs teeth will go through them more often). BTW the frisbee is not out unless you are there - its an interactive toy, your dog doesn't get it unless he's with you!

You also need to teach Chase how to jump - most dogs do not know how and take off wrong, drag their hing legs and land wrong... It is quite dangerous so you need to work on the right way to jump until the dogs body commits it to muscle memory (it almost like training:p). You also need to do some cross training and warm up/cool downs... No dog should be jumping for the frisbee everyday (unless its for very short periods of time) - it is extremely hard on the joints and there should be off days when you do other activities.

Good luck!