Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Czarina

ancientgirl
June 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Well, today marks 2 weeks that she's been inside. Her eye is looking a lot better. When she looks at me her left eye is fully open. That's good since I don't think I could have put those drops in her eye another day. The last day I did it, she got very very angry. If it wasn't for her nails being cut she would have put a serious hurting on me.

There's very little progress on her coming out of her pyramid. A few days ago she did come out to stretch her legs and came somewhat close to the screen door. She hissed and returned to the pyramid and hadn't been out again, but to eat.

Vlad has been hanging out at the screen door quite a bit. He's super curious about the kitty on the other side.

She's using the litter box with no problems so that's a plus. I'm thinking of keeping the litter box in the corner of the kitchen after she's able to come out and mingle with the others. Thanks to the Swheat Scoop, there is really no odor at all and I've found a fantastic spray from Febreeze that's just for pet odors, so I spray around the apartment daily just to keep it smelling fresh. At least that will bring the litter boxes to 3 so that should be okay.

If those of you who have tried integrating a stray into your household can give me some idea as to how long it took your strays to feel comfortable enough to explore that would be great. I know it's only been 2 weeks, but I just feel bad she's spending most of her time in that pyramid bed. I know it's a huge change for her, and she doesn't realize she's here because it's not safe for her outside. I just hate the thought of her spending the next several months in that pyramid.:sad:

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
She'll come around, ancientgirl! Czarina just needs to sort things out. :cat: Feel good that she's safe and she's finding comfort in her pyramid! :goodvibes: The rest will come. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
You're right. I just want her to be happy, and I feel so bad knowing she's in there alone. I go in there as often as I can to spend time with her, but she just lays in her pyramid.

I have to just keep telling myself she'll sort it out, she'll come around and realize this is a cool place to be. I do feel happy knowing she's inside, especially on days like these. It's been raining a lot during the day and the humidity and mosquito's are out of control. Right now it's raining and there's a thunderstorm brewing. She's safe from that. Although, I try not to think about the ones that are still out there. :sad:

14+kitties
June 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM
No advice. Czarina will let you know when she is ready to meet the legion. May not be tomorrow, may not be next week, may be a long time away yet, but she will let you know.
She is doing great. Let her make the moves. If you try to rush it she will just revert to being a pyramid kitty for a longer time.

krdahmer
June 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Well I'm not much help there... my strays never integrated with my guys, and the last snarly introduction I made was Palomine and he's still driving everyone nuts. :rolleyes:

She may need a week or so just to recover from you grabbing her and putting drops in her eyes... as long as she's eating, using the pooper and out to stretch her legs now and then, she's ok. She'll get intrigued soon enough with your family, cats are after all very curious creatures. Maybe she's just enjoying her new cushy little condo, recovering from all those many stressful nights outside.

Dracko
June 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
I'm sure she is suffering a little bit from some side effects of the medication she is on. If you looked up the side-effects I'll be lethargy and such would be one of them. Is typically for humans when they start on things like anti-depressants.

ancientgirl
June 22nd, 2008, 07:04 AM
14+K, I like that, the legion. You're right, time is what it's going to take.

krdahmer, the grabbing her for the drops is what has set me back the most. I don't mind telling you either, it scared the poop out of me when I would grab her and she'd hiss and growl. The good thing is her eye looks much better and I don't have to put the drops in her eye anymore.

Dracko, you are correct. She could very well be adjusting to the medication. She's been on it for about 2 weeks, which is into that adjustment period.

Boy, time can't go by fast enough for me.

This morning she did stretch out a bit and used the litter box and hissed at Vlad :laughing:

Love4himies
June 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
I agree with 14+, she will let you know when she is ready. This is so new to her yet, that she still thinking she needs to hide from the other cats. Soon she will realize she doesn't have to fight any kitties for food or territory and will be much happier.

Winston
June 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Itty bitty baby steps and she will let you know when it is time! The problem is that us HUMANS worry too much! It may not be for months so the sooner your okay with it, the sooner it will get easier !

Your doing an awesome job this time and you have learned form last time what worked and what didnt! :thumbs up

Cindy

ancientgirl
June 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry. I know I'm going over the same questions. It's just so hard to want so badly to see her associating with the others but to still see her in that little pyramid.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed she will soon realize she really doesn't have to fight for food or territory.

I am happy though to have introduced her to some treats. I got some Greenies, which the others love and I gave her some. She LOVES them. She actually came out of the pyramid to take some from me, then she had some more dinner. :D

Winston, I really wish I had done this with her from the beginning. If I had, she'd most probably already be a full fledged part of the gang.

One thing I can breath easy on, my dad knows I've got her. LOL, it was hard enough to tell him I had 4 cats, after I got Maks and Kiska, but to tell him I've got 5! I thought he'd have a heart attack! He came over and saw her, and I told him about how dangerous it was for her outside, and he just said, I was turning into one of those crazy women who brings in all the strays in the neighborhood and laughed. If he only knew that if I had the space, I probably would be that lady.:D

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
One thing I can breath easy on, my dad knows I've got her. LOL, it was hard enough to tell him I had 4 cats, after I got Maks and Kiska, but to tell him I've got 5! I thought he'd have a heart attack! He came over and saw her, and I told him about how dangerous it was for her outside, and he just said, I was turning into one of those crazy women who brings in all the strays in the neighborhood and laughed. If he only knew that if I had the space, I probably would be that lady.:D

I hear this all the time. I ignore it!

:whistle::whistle::D

Dracko
June 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
I use my five cats as "man repellant." Works every time. :thumbs up Men get "that look" in their eye when you say you have that many cats. You just know what they are thinking. :mwaha:

chico2
June 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
Ancient,it is possible the Prozac,if she is still on it,is making her sleepy.
However the fact she is eating,drinking doing her thing in the box,tells me she is quiet comfortable where she is.
She's not spending her days howling to be let out:thumbs up
Don't worry so much,time and more time is what she needs to adjust to a cushy life in the Ancient household:cat:

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
I talked to the vet this morning and she said her colleague told her that's part of the beginning affects of the prozac. She's been on it about 2 weeks, going on three in the next few days. This is about the time it begins to start affecting her in positive ways.

She did spend a little time outside her pyramid this morning, and she got closer to the screen. Still hissed, but at least she's curious enough to check out the gang on the other side of the screen.

I'm going to stop giving her the topical though and try the liquid form. I think it will be easier for her, as I won't be catching her off guard which can't be good for gaining her trust. Not to mention, putting that topical in her ear makes a film build up, which has to be cleaned, which isn't easy with her, since she doesn't like to be grabbed much or messed with.

I'm telling myself, baby-steps.

kimnmark
June 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
I think she's made great progress in the 16 days she's been inside. :thumbs up
I'm glad you can put her on the liquid version, you're probably right that it will help as she won't have to be manhandled for the treatment. Good luck!

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
It's slow, but she has made a little progress.

I'd first thought the topical would be easiest. But after having to also give her eye drops it made things more difficult and it's harder to get the stuff in her ear. Hopefully the liquid won't have a funny taste and she won't notice it too much in her food.

chico2
June 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Ancient,I had topical meds for Rocky once and it inflamed his ears so badly I had to quit,it is also not always effective.

phoozles
June 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Sounds like she's doing great - she feels confident enough to come out of the pyramid once and awhile to do her business and eat, and that's more than some would do! :thumbs up
Two weeks feels like EONS to us, but it's not really that long - I would be worried if she NEVER left the pyramid, but it sounds like she's just pacing herself. You're doing the right thing - rushing it just makes it hostile for everyone in the household..

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Sounds like she's doing great - she feels confident enough to come out of the pyramid once and awhile to do her business and eat, and that's more than some would do! :thumbs up
Two weeks feels like EONS to us, but it's not really that long - I would be worried if she NEVER left the pyramid, but it sounds like she's just pacing herself. You're doing the right thing - rushing it just makes it hostile for everyone in the household..

The last thing I want to do is rush it. I think if I just let her do this at her own pace, then at least I know once she's ready it will go more smoothly.

Ancient,I had topical meds for Rocky once and it inflamed his ears so badly I had to quit,it is also not always effective.

The vet is going to order some liquid for me. She said the pills can be our last option. I'm hoping the liquid will be easier for me to disguise in her food. When i got home she was outside and walking around the kitchen so that's a very good sign. Still lots of hissing, but I think that might subside in a couple more weeks.:fingerscr

chico2
June 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Ancient,Chico still hisses at Vinnie,just to let him know who is the boss and probably always will:laughing:
However,Vinnie does not react,he knows now,not to sniff Chico...:cat:
I think this time around you will win this war:thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Oksana hisses at Vlad and Maks when she doesn't feel like having them around. Maks gets the extra swat just for good measure, poor little guy.

This morning when I left, Czarina was standing right at the screen and Vlad was just sitting there watching her. I don't know if he's just super curious or just wants to make friends or both. At least Czarina didn't run into her pyramid. She just sat there, hissing, but she stayed. So at the very least, I think her curiosity is winning over her still being slightly unsure about her surroundings.

Chris21711
June 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Sounds like it is all coming together AG :thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
It is. I'm still keeping my :fingerscr though.

At least this time around everyone seems less stressed. With of course the exception of Maks and Kiska who have been pooing outside their box. But that's not often and it might also have to do with a slight change in my not adding litter between changes.

ancientgirl
July 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Well, no major changes. Czarina though has been playing with the catnip squirrel she's got in the kitchen with her. She's also been playing with this round thing that has a ball in it.

I did get quite a shock. I was in the living room playing with the others and when I turned towards the kitchen pass through, I see Oksana on the kitchen counter:eek: Little miss pushed the screen door, since I'd forgotten to secure it, and was in there. Czarina was in her pyramid so I'm guessing she just hid while Oksana was there. I went in there and Oksana jumped off the counter and walked out.

Then I sat outside while Vlad had a visit. He really is being very good. He'll come and sit in front of the screen while Czarina swats at him and hisses and spits. He just sits there and doesn't do anythingn but try to touch her paw. *sigh* She turned around and had her back to us for the rest of the time. I suppose playing with toys is something:shrug:

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
She has been such a loner for such a long time. It is going to take a long time to integrate her with the rest of the kitties. If you ever do. If not, would it be such a bad thing? Really? They have the rest of the apartment to run in. She has the kitchen which is plenty big enough. You can be assured she is safe. Cats don't need a large space. They are happy in small ones. The others are ok. You spend quality time with all of them. They each benefit from your loving attention.
Let me tell you something. I felt really guilty about leaving the catuary kitties in the garage when they were tiny, and then once the catuary was built leaving them in there without the benefit of human company. But they are happy! They have the space they can each go where they want to. There are hiding spots if they feel threatened (as Winston can attest to when they all disappeared on her). They can be together when they are ready. :shrug: That's not a whole lot different than your situation. I certainly don't love them less than the ones in my house right now. And I know they are happy where they are.
I bet if Czarina could talk she would tell you the same thing. She knows you are doing what you feel is best for her. She is making giant steps. You may not feel like it, but she is. She is playing with a toy for Pete's Sake! I bet when you are at work there has been more interaction than you know about. Give it time my friend, give it time.

ancientgirl
July 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Thank you for those words 14+. I really feel the guilt when it comes to her. She had the outdoors and just so much room and could go where she wanted to, and now all she has is that kitchen. I guess if you look at it in terms of space, she's got more of her own space than the others who have to share their space.

I just want her to feel safe and comfortable, and I don't ever want her to feel hungry because she won't. I was thinking while I was in there with her to get her a bed that was a little bigger to see if she'd feel comfortable enough to sleep outside the pyramid. And she's probably never even had a toy to play with. It brings a smile to my face when I see her playing.

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I just want her to feel safe and comfortable, and I don't ever want her to feel hungry because she won't. I was thinking while I was in there with her to get her a bed that was a little bigger to see if she'd feel comfortable enough to sleep outside the pyramid. And she's probably never even had a toy to play with. It brings a smile to my face when I see her playing.

But she probably wouldn't use it. To her the pyramid IS her home! She loves it. Didn't you say she used it when she was outside too? And also for the short time she was with Manuel? To her that little spot is safety. That's all she needs. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
July 3rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Yes, that's true. She had it outside and with Miguel. I wonder if I found a bigger one she'd like it. Although, she probably likes the small enclosed space.

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
She does. I would just leave it. She is happy in there. It has been her one constant. And you, young lady, keep saying your finances are tight! STOP SPENDING MONEY!!!!! :D

rainbow
July 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Nothing more to add here........everyone has said it all but I just wanted to add some more good wishes for you and your crew. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 06:44 AM
She does. I would just leave it. She is happy in there. It has been her one constant. And you, young lady, keep saying your finances are tight! STOP SPENDING MONEY!!!!! :D

OMG you're right.:laughing: I swear I'm glad I don't have kids because I think they'd be the biggest spoiled brats on the face of the earth.

She is quite happy in there. Maybe I'll just take it outside and get some of the litter she's tracked in there out. Freshen it up for her a little.

Rainbow, thank you. I need all the good vibes and well wishes I can get right now.

Love4himies
July 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Sounds like Vlad is just like Jasper, easy going and just doesn't care if others are hissing at him.

Oksana knew Czarina was around, she could smell her so it sounds like Oksana is OK with her in the kitchen.

I would keep the pyramid that Czarina is using, that is her secure place, you may think the space is small, but to scared kitties, small is good!

How are Kiska and Maks doing with her?

:grouphug:

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah, Vlad wants to be friends with everybody. He's such a good boy. I'll often catch him taking a nap on the rug in front of the screen or reching his paw under it to try and touch her. He's not very concerned with hissing no. He gets plenty from Oksana when she's not in the mood to play. LOL, he'll just look at her and walk away. Oksana will sometimes hang out there too so she's apparently not too concerned either.

Kiska hisses back at Czarina when she hisses. But that's about it. Maks peers in to see what's going on in there and look at her, but he's very a non-confrontational little guy. When he gets hissed at he backs away. Sometimes he'll look at me like "Mom, why is she hissing at me, I didn't do anything."

krdahmer
July 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Wow playing with a toy.... that is awesome! She's getting more comfortable... and like 14 said, I imagine there is more interaction than you imagine when you are at work. I really think sometimes the hissing can be just a show for us, I mean when I'm around Smoke hisses at everyone who gets into her 5 foot radius of personal space, but then I come home after a day of errands or something and she's sleeping butt to butt with Palomine, her sworn enemy! :rolleyes:

She's making great progress, and your guys don't sound stressed at all, just curious... so thats all great news! :thumbs up

(and I'm just as bad as you with the money for cats.... I barely have enough for bills, but am always so tempted to buy new things for them... :o)

:goodvibes: :grouphug:

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Yes, she really likes that squirrel and the ball thing. She's also been using the litter box with no problems. She still doesn't cover her poop, but I'm happy she poops and pees in there so I can't ask for much more. I do wake up some mornings to find her sitting right by the screen with one of the others on the other side too. And when I get home from work some days, the same thing. So I'm sure you are all right, that there's more interaction while I'm at work.

The others aren't stressed like they were the last time. But then Czarina has her own space now, not like last time. And they all go to see her now and then so they are all getting more familiar with seeing each other.

I've gotten to where I have to stop myself from going into the pets section of any place I go. Even when I get them food, I go into the store with tunnel vision because I want to buy them everything! Here I am cutting back on everything, even changing my health plan so I can save myself some money and all I want to do is buy them more stuff. I'm sick I tell you, sick. I'm a cataholic.

Magicwildwolf69
July 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Lol thats normal for us cat lovers i think it comes with part of the sickness...get more cats...more toys stuff for them....more cats....more toys....then well we'll have lots of cats like 14+ :)

Sounds like things are going great. She'll come around hopefully to the point where she doesn't hiss at them anymore. Time is all you need. But you've heard that before :) so i'll just send some more :grouphug::goodvibes: your way for the kitties and you.

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks. I'd love to just be able to let her roam around the rest of the apartment, but until the hissing and swatting dies down I can't. Oksana hisses at Vlad and Maks, but only when they try to play with her and she's not in the mood. Czarina still just does it when she sees them. For them to all coexist together under the same room would be ideal.

phoozles
July 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Sounds like she is definitely making great progress - if she is playing, then she feels comfortable enough to do so! It's like my trials with CC the kitten - first she would hide all the time, then she would come out to play with the others, but if I got close, run and hide and hiss (a kitten's hiss is quite hilarious).. then FINALLY (4 weeks later) I had a toy near her and she actually batted it from my hand and sort of let me pet her.. She's not jumping in my lap just yet, but I feel like it's remarkable progress - it just takes a lot of time..

Knowing that the others aren't fazed by her is great when/if she's finally ready to be integrated.. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
LOL, yes kittens hissing is actually very cute. I'm happy with her progress, even though I wish things would progress faster, but I know I have to be patient. It certainly is good that at least the others are remaining calm. It would totally suck if I had 5 stressed out cats.