Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi, I'm Spark and Sandy's mom

Radha
June 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hi, I'm Spark and Sandy's mommy. We're new to this Forum so this is a quick note to introduce ourselves. Sandy is a 10 year old moggie male born in Bangalore, India and Spark is a 4 and a half year old mixed-breed doggie born in Delhi, India and I'm their mommy. They're both sitting with me right now expectantly watching this screen so a big hello to everyone from us.

I'm hoping to touch base first with Otter, Molly's mom, whose respiratory condition is very similar to Spark's. My vet says Sparky has a slightly enlarged heart upon a preliminary X-Ray but I'm not certain. The symptoms are ditto Molly, Otter, so I'd really value your inputs in terms of what was diagnosed - your posts on this are 7-8 months old. Most importantly, I hope Molly is fine - she looks beautiful in the picture, if that's her next to your name.

Frenchy
June 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Radha. Otter doesn't log on often enough so it may take a while but I will pm her your thread so she won't miss to answer your question. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hi, Radha! Welcome to the board!

Looking forward to pictures of Spark and Sandy when you are able to share some. :goodvibes: for Spark!

Radha
June 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks Frenchy and Hazel. I hope to hear from Otter soon. Hazel, going to post some pics soon - I am totally daft when it comes to anything related to technology so have to figure this out. None of my gazillion snaps do justice to my babies - guess that's a standard for us all. Spark is an abandoned mixed-breed who looks like a border collie except his coat is a bit different, shorter.

Sandy's a 10 year old moggie we found when he weighed like a 100 grams! He used to be so light that sometimes, whilst I was working on my PC, he would settle down on my lap and I wouldn't realise it - only to be horror-struck when he would tumble onto the floor as I stood up :)

At the moment, Spark is asleep next to me, legs up in the air and a tummy that is waiting to be cuddled and Sandy's attempting to stare me into submission that I take him for a walk. He's got a couple of 'enemies' - two bully cats who have great character but don't like Sandy so he no longer steps out alone - guardian ranger me is always with him.... he was neutered 7 years ago after he almost died in a cat fight, but its something I've always regretted, and it made an already gentle cat more timid. Spark is furiously protective of Sandy but cannot be around all the time, and when Sandy freaks out, he doesn't care who's protecting him, he just wants AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

More later. I'm based in India so my hours of logging in will be completely opposed to yours :)

Radha
June 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Guys, here are a couple of pictures of my babies.... Sandy Cat and Sparky Dog as my nephew calls them :) There's one of Spark but 2 of Sandy's - one on his favourite relaxing spot - my husband's chest :)

Still hoping to hear from Otter on Spark's breathing condition. Have posted a query also in the pet health forum...

Hope your babies are doing well. Frenchy, how's the newest addition doing? Torn her cuddly to shreds with affection yet or not? :)

angeldogs
June 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Radha.
You have wonderful looking furkids.look forward to seeing more of them.

mollywog
June 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
welcome to the forum! Happy to have you here from halfway across the world! :highfive:
your pets are really cute. Sparky looks like a Border Collie to me! Can't mistake that face! I bet he's a smart one ;)
I hope some of the members here can help you with your questions. :pawprint:

chico2
June 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Radha,welcome:thumbs up
Sandy looks like a wonderful kitty,I have a white kitty too,my little angel(sure:laughing:)
Spark looks very much like a Border-Collie,very sweet.
The pic with your husband and Sandy is soooo sweet.
I hope you get some answers soon about Sparks condition.

Radha
June 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks! They really are gorgeous (aren't they all :) ) Yes, Spark looks very much like a border collie... his coat is a bit shorter than the usual border collie and nose and jaw wider but outside of that, it's amazing how much like one he looks. And he has the same mad energy too :) But he's a mixed-breed, we found him abandoned at about 8 months old four years ago. He definitely had a family because of how fearless he was around humans and how comfortable in the house when he first came in. He's petrified of cars so there is a story there I think, which we're trying hard to remove from his memory - ok I just got attacked by Sandy as I'm writing this - my legs clearly house a 100 enemies in his view for now :) - Got to go play 'War!'

Mollywog your angel looks like a big girl - which one is she - Vinnie?

Best, Radha

otter
June 29th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Radha, welcome to the board!

I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to notice your question. I haven't logged on in a long time so I didn't get Frenchy's PM... hopefully you are still around and get this info.

We think Molly's fast breath rate may have been a side effect of infection. I would never have put the two things together but I'm 90% sure that infection was at the root of it all.

Right now Molly is on antibiotics for another rash of infections (skin, ear, eye, UTI) and as I type i've been watching her breathing, nice and slow and calm. Maybe worthwhile to get Spark checked out for things like a Urinary tract infection or things of the like.

My vet really said not to worry that she was breathing a bit fast, she said some dogs just do that, not a big deal if that is the only symptom. She thought clearing up the infection would help too.

I sure hope that helps you out a bit... don't hesitate to PM me if I can help in any way. You have a wonderful fur family!

(P.S. I'm going to try and log on more :o)

I forgot to mention... at our next vet visit after those posts in October Molly had a nasty hot spot crop up, a sure sign of underlying skin infection - she was put on antibiotics then too, and that was when I discussed her breathing with the vet, thus the vet, in her wisdom, suggested infection as the cause of the fast breathing (I should have updated my original thread, sorry)