Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat killed/ate a rabbit...

kathryn
June 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
He's got blood all over him from the rabbit. I covered the thing which was completely mutilated by the way with a tinfoil lasagna pan (i use them for my foster kittens litterpans). He was eating it though. I just got done shelter work and I came home to check on everyone and the rabbit was in several pieces all over my back patio, and Buddy, Three Legged Missy, Tigger and Momma cat were all in the yard. Buddy was the only one who had any blood on him though, but Three Legged Missy was trying to go over and eat it before I covered it.

Do I need to get any medication for them? I am already deworming him again Monday. He has all his shots, so do Momma and Tigger but 3 Legged Missy goes this week coming up to get spayed and her shots. Is there anything I should be looking out for in Missy because she might have gotten a bite or two out of the bunny. Rabies possible? Never had a problem around here with it though.

They usually only bring me mice and moles and those kinds of things, and a bird one time, but this rabbit was totally everywhere and really nasty they never eat the presents they bring me, they just grab them and kill them and drop them outside my house. This time they were going at it like it was lunch!

14+kitties
June 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hate to tell you but it was lunch! Until you took it away. :D
If they were in the wild this is what they would be catching. I have had a few bunny carcasses around here too. The mommas bring them back for the kittens.
If everyone is getting wormed I wouldn't worry too much. You could take the carcass in and get it checked for rabies but :shrug:
He will clean himself up!

Chaser
June 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
I know it's natural instinct, but....:yuck:

kathryn
June 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
So it's not really a big deal? I'm worried about him getting worms again. It's almost 40$ to treat all of my cats for worms and they keep getting them again so we keep having to deworm them. I know I need to get something like Revolution for them that might help.

It's weird though because this cat is the clumsiest, stupidest and slowest cat I have. He walks into things all the time. I have no idea how he even caught this thing.

Can there be anything in the rabbits blood that could transmit to him?

sugarcatmom
June 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it. Rabies tends not to be an issue with rabbits, and if your cats are already getting de-wormed, it's all good. Your biggest problem is going to be that Buddy has had a taste of yummy bunny now :laughing:. Watch out all you wascally wabbits! He'd certainly be an easy one to convert to a raw diet.

Love4himies
June 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Snowball's favourite prey was rabbit, he caught a few in his younger days.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Oh Gawd!! Tell me it was not a pet bunny! There have wild bunnies on a woodlot we own and I think I would die if anything happened to them. The cats usually are on leashes so they won't catch them but these bunnies love to chase us when we drive a 4 wheeler.

I am sure your cats will be fine- just promise me you will keep them in and away from poor unknowing bunnies! (I also had a pet rabbit who was at one time the oldest in the country so I tend to be upset by the notion of rabbit as food, even for cats or dogs.)

kathryn
June 21st, 2008, 02:23 PM
Oh Gawd!! Tell me it was not a pet bunny! There have wild bunnies on a woodlot we own and I think I would die if anything happened to them. The cats usually are on leashes so they won't catch them but these bunnies love to chase us when we drive a 4 wheeler.

I am sure your cats will be fine- just promise me you will keep them in and away from poor unknowing bunnies! (I also had a pet rabbit who was at one time the oldest in the country so I tend to be upset by the notion of rabbit as food, even for cats or dogs.)

It was a wild bunny. I have a pet rabbit myself so yeah I was like 4%#$^ how could ya kill a rabbit you stupid cat! He's honestly never done anything like this.

I take my pet rabbit out sometimes and Buddy has always been extra afraid of the rabbit.. so it was weird. Buddy ran off somewhere.. but me and my mom are still doing to wash him later. I don't want him coming in the house smelling like dead rabbits and getting my other ones all upset. My mom won't help me clean it up so it's kinda just chillin there underneath the tinfoil pan. Not really sure what to do about it yet ... :yuck:

chico2
June 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Kathryne,just dig a hole in the ground and bury it.I have Squirrels,Birds and 4 cats buried in my backyard,it somehow seems really harsh to put a dead animal in a garbage-bag.

kathryn
June 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
I can't bury things tough, so my dad had to just toss it in the trash. I would normally though but anytime I try to bury the 'presents' my cats bring me in a proper burial, they dig them up and bring them back and they are even nastier then before. I cleaned my cat up, he was really gross. I feel really terrible for the poor bunny, and it's really weird because rabbits usually stay away from this area because of all the cats.

And really you can't blame the cat, because he was born outside and refuses to be an indoor cat because he's still part 'feral' sort of. So his wild side must have just come out. Even if I kept Buddy inside, the other ferals would still get the rodents and critters.

Gah, so sad. I'm used to those ugly little moles, but why a rabbit??!! Bunnys are so cute :( And it's not like they have any reason to hunt, I feed these cats well!

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
No, it is instinct and sadly, he probably would have brought you part of the poor bun as a gift! :wall::yuck::yell:

Can you get someone to bury him. I'd never put a dead animal of any kind on a garbage bag either. I know when I buried my bunny - on our woodlot (I felt he was a bit timid and there are all these wild bunnies and their little colony there, thriving) so he'd be happy there.) It was so hard though and it is near the clover so I know the bunnies are near him and he is not alone (Gawd, I am going to cry!!). But also, you have to dig deep enough that nothing can get at the rabbit. If you have a shoe box or some large box or some kind of box- or even a vet who eill incinerate and put the ashes in an urn??

But I agree with Chico - no garbages bags. He may not have been a member of your family but he was a live animal with needs and wants and never hurt anyone in the world.

Good luck!

I had a cat and bunny at the same time- and a dog then too. The bunny was the alpha character, lol Hr ruled the roost - but he was the oldest and there first!

kathryn
June 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
My dad did end up cleaning it up while I wasn't around, and I'm actually not sure if he buried it or what. I think he might have just had to toss it. There's a shovel sitting out outback so I guess he might have buried it somewhere.

Really not much I could do about it though, because it's just these damn cats dig everything up. I have to go over to my grandmoms to bury any pets that have passed on because these cats always dig everything up. I dug a hole that was about a foot down to bury my hermit crab when he died, and the hermit crab was sealed in a plastic bag. I went outside the next day and found the hole dog up and one of the cats eating what was left of the hermit crab. Same thing happened with my fish. I don't even flush fish I bury them. The ferals are just such brats and keep catching things and delivering them to me, usually headless =x

It's really gross I mean I feed them and a couple other neighbors feed them but their instincts just come out in them sometimes. Just maybe 2 days ago I was walking outback and found a dead mole again. Hopefully Buddy will never do this again. He's such a sweetie but he's just still wild.

Any explanation for how to make these cats not be... hunters?

toocoolcolos
June 21st, 2008, 11:24 PM
wow you say you payed 40.00 for worm medicine??? i got some today(2) caplications to be correct and it cost me a whole lot me,but i use the dewormer that you put on the back of the neck like frontline and this worm medicine kiss 3 different worms and fleas and ticks that might be why ....good luck! colletta

luckypenny
June 22nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Regular dewormers do not protect against tapeworm and, unfortunately, it's been our experience that one of our dogs got tapeworm from hunting rabbits :shrug: . Keep an eye on all their stools and/or bring some sample in for anaysis within a week or so if you're worried about it.

krdahmer
June 22nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
Oh I am so sorry you had to see that, it may be a natural instinct... but I'm one who never wants to have to see it. I take it these were the ferals you have right? I too have to agree any living thing deserves a proper burial, (although have to admit the fishies get a few words and a flush) I even buried a finch who died near my feeders in the garden with a stone.

(I also had a pet rabbit who was at one time the oldest in the country so I tend to be upset by the notion of rabbit as food, even for cats or dogs.)

:sorry::offtopic: How old was your rabbit? My Thumper was 11 when he passed away. I thought that was pretty old. (He was one my grandpa picked up at a farm where they raised them for meat... not a fancy pet store guy.)

chico2
June 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Katherine,I don't blame the kitty either,he's doing what comes natural to him.
If my cats had a chance to catch anything they would too,I think all cats would,but we are outside with them,so no birds,mice for them to terrorize,but they certainly try..
As for moles,I remember feeding a couple in Myrtle Beach,they loved chips :laughing:and they were kind of cute..

CyberKitten
June 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
My bunny was 14 when he died. Currently, there is a bun (also a dwarf Netherland) in North Bay , Ontario who is the oldest in the world. Recorded at least.

I still miss him, :sad: